PDA

View Full Version : Good morning campers!

dizzylisa
10-06-04, 03:58 PM
Does anyone remember the music that was played to the chalet lines in the morning to wake you up, I seem to think it was a tune called you are beautiful?

Anonymous
15-06-04, 02:14 PM
Yes Lisa i remember it. It was called 'Cavatina' ('Theme from the Deerhunter') by John Williams...it was just him and an acoustic guitar i seem to remember. 1979 was the year.
I bought it soon as i got home.

Hope this helps you

Blinking Owl......

dizzylisa
15-06-04, 05:19 PM
Ahh thats the one thank you very much x

Anonymous
17-07-04, 08:01 PM
Sorry,
I remember SLEEPY SHORES,by JOHHNY PEARSON, pretty sure it was the standard "wake up" call,sounded similar to the Deer Hunter
Marie

Blinking Owl
17-07-04, 09:24 PM
Well, in 1979 it was 'Cavatina'......as i said i bought it when i got back for Skeggy in that year......but, i also remember sleepy shores...think that was in the 60s though.

Anonymous
20-07-04, 04:57 PM
sorry,
sleepy shores carried on until the demise of radio Butlin,well into the late 70's
Marie

Blinking Owl
20-07-04, 07:43 PM
Well, it was definately 'Cavatina' that we woke to every morning the week we spent at Skeggy 1979. Even 'Dizzylisa', that started this thread remembered it. I even asked at 'Radio Butlin', much was my liking for the tune.

Blinking Owl.

Anonymous
20-07-04, 08:02 PM
At Bognor Regis in June 1976 it was Fleetwood Mac's Albatross.

Typical Golden Grill

dizzylisa
23-07-04, 08:44 AM
From what i can remember it went on for years in the 70s at pwllheli.

Anonymous
28-07-04, 11:31 PM
Remember Sleepy Shores and then also Albatross at the Bognor Regis Camp

Anonymous
05-08-04, 10:21 AM
During the late 60's early seventies the wake up music at Filey included Cavatina and sleepy shores but does anyone remember the music "Singing Paino" by Tolchard Evans? Piano music with a heavenly chorus type of voices (mostly ooing and aahing). As a kid I thought it was beautiful! What a lovely way to be woken up before going to the kent or York dining hall to have breakfast and collect unused breadbuns to go and feed the ducks on the boating lake followed by taking our place in the Vienesse ballroom to watch the morning competition and of course try to spot my favourite Redcoats of that season, always the boys! Some mornings followed a different routine when I awoke feeling that I couldn't possibly get through the day without queuing outside the funfair to be first on the rides. Selecting my favourite (the sloping rockets which I've seen on postcards posted on here by John Tannoy) and proceeding to sample every ride before the park closed for lunch, even the boring motor boat (later replaced by seals) ride! I've probably written all of this on here before in past years but with so many people who have joined in the past year I thought I'd share with you again. Simply writing this here transports me to a very happy Butlins childhood. By the way, where is John Tannoy these days, haven't seen a post from him for ages. If you are out there John, thanks for those old postcards of the funfair and Peter Pan Railway they prove that I didn't just dream them!

Joker
05-08-04, 04:51 PM
Singing Paino by Tolchard Evans

Been looking for this for ages found the sheet music but not being able to read it. Even got hold of the dance steps to the waltz from a member of this forum ( look even more complicated than the music ) then last month the 7" single turned up on ebay. Arrived last week. Took me till this morning to get hold of a record player give me a week or so and I will post the MP3

Having now heard the waltz I can't say it brings back any memories must of been a little before my time

Watch this space

Have Fun !!!

J-UK

first sitting
06-08-04, 06:39 PM
If that is the tune I remember from my childhood I really look forward to hearing it.
Good luck!

First Sitting

dizzylisa
07-08-04, 12:22 PM
All i know is that whenever i hear that tune ( whatever it is) it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up/out whatever...lol

Joker
07-08-04, 02:12 PM
As promised Singing Piano - Ron Goodwin and his Orchestra

This record is over 30 years old and sounds like it was played with a rusty nail !

After running it through Audio cleaning lab it sounds a little better (sorry to all you devoted vinyl fans but in this case it needed it)

Doesn?t sound very Butlins'ee to me !

Have Fun !!

J-UK

first sitting
07-08-04, 03:25 PM
Well Done Joker. That is definitely the tune I remember listening too when I was running round the camp before many people were up. Brilliant, thank you for letting others hear this piece of history.
I will keep this with my other special bits.

Thank you once again

First Sitting

Anonymous
07-08-04, 08:08 PM
Remember going to skegness when i was about 10 my grandad had died so my mum and dad spent some on the money on a holiday.I was packing friday night in tears as usual and my dad said we are staying two weeks i was just overcome with shock smugness excitement noone stayed 2 weeks the monorails fun fairs chair lifts freedom
happy days

Anonymous
07-08-04, 11:16 PM
Joker you're a hero. That is indeed the tune that woke us up all those years ago at Filey although a slightly different version. the one we heard was less orchestral and had the choral sounds over laid. However, I've just played it and done the heavenly choir "oo, oo, oo" bits myself - Yes, how sad I am! Thank you so much for putting this on to the site so that others can have their memories re-awoken. Incidentally, wasn't the sleepy shores music used as the theme tune on the old tv series Own M.D. or am I remembering it wrongly?

dizzylisa
08-08-04, 03:00 PM
Joker i vaugely remember that tune, dont suppose you can come up with any more hun? xxx

Im such a creep! :D

Joker
08-08-04, 03:48 PM
Have a look in the files section in my Yahoo group

LINK TO JOKERS YAHOO GROUP HERE (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Joker-UK/)

I Stand on Guard - The Butlinaires

The Butlin' Story Show Mp3 Songs from the show off audio tape dated 1996

Singing Piano was a little before my time and took weeks to get hold off (at the right price) but if any one knows of any other Butlin's music tracks, I'm up for the challenge of finding them !

Have Fun
!!!

J-UK

Butlins58
08-08-04, 08:18 PM
I have a 1959 copy of Singing Piano actually played by Tolchard Evans - the very piece that was played at Butlins for many years, complete with ethereal choir. I would be only to delighted to post it, but wouldn't know where to start. Any instruction greatly appreciated!
Sleepy Shores was indeed the theme to Owen M. D. I have very fond memories of waking up to it whilst working at Minehead in 1973.

Anonymous
11-08-04, 04:53 PM
trust me "sleepy shores" the theme tune from "owen md",.I have it on vinyl,every time I hear it,I can smell BREAKFAST!!!Might have been different in other camps,BUT,it was played in AYR up until the demise of Radio Butlin,sends the hairs etc,what a BEAUTIFUL memory,and evokes so many others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marie a confirmed Butlin Beaver

Anonymous
14-08-04, 11:43 PM
I remember all four wake up tunes mentioned - I was a mere slip of a boy early 1960's when they played the Singing Piano but those angelic voices were truely heavenly - or was it just because we were at Butlins? Sleepy Shores etc replaced it. Anyway, just wanted to mention 'Good Morning' which was aways played early on as well, but after you had been gently woken! ooks ike another lovel day campers!

Anonymous
15-08-04, 10:21 PM
Good to hear from you John Tannoy, Don't seem to have seen much from you in ages or am I missing something. I just mentioned you last week on another post (I think it was something to do with the fairground) anyway, glad to see you're still around

geraldene
16-08-04, 09:12 PM
i feel really young! i wasnt brought up on butlins when i was a kid, i think we went when i was about 3 and i won the bonny baby competion still got the teddy butlins gave me! its not white anymore! my hubby was brought up on butlins, they went every year and he tells me storys of the wake up calls and butlins radio! i first went to butlins 12 years ago we had a sort of honeymoon at minehead! first time and loved every minute of it. our kid dont know anything else! maybe they should do a special butlins radio when skeggy gets to 70 or something. be a laugh!

Blinking Owl
17-08-04, 12:52 AM
Yes hello Mr Tannoy...you have been missed

Blinking Owl......friend of Tannoy....

dande99
15-09-07, 02:15 PM
oh my goodness, i was just looking through some old threads when i found this one, playing the music i definatly smelled bacon and eggs,
thank you for the memory.

Harry Monk
17-09-10, 06:02 PM
Yes Joker, that’s the tune but not the version played at Butlins. I have the original Butlins record with the piano and choir. I hope the link works, enjoy the memories. Kindest regards, Harry

http://www.essexherald.com/butlins1960smusic.htm