PDA

View Full Version : Irons

Pages : [1] 2

Jintygirl
01-09-04, 10:27 AM
Have just had long and interesting chat with jcmelbau about irons, ironing boards, sockets etc.

Decided that we haven't talked about this very interesting topic nearly enough recently, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

:lol:

jcmelbau
01-09-04, 10:32 AM
Totally agree there Jintygirl, Has anyone considered the brands that Butlin's use? I mean Morphy Richards Vs Mounilex? I prefer Hoover myself but can lower my standards when I am on holiday to say a 'Sunbeam' however, if I book Gold, I will expect no less than a Morphy Richards.

Jay

Anonymous
01-09-04, 10:36 AM
Yeah, maybe butlins should have hoovers!! (Joke!)

All i am saying about Irons is that all resorts should have the same equipment in the same standard of accomodation. Whether you have to go and ask for it or not, uit should be available at one resort if it is at another.

I see peoples point, but If I found an Iron at one resort, I would expect ti find it in another resort with the same accomodation.

MadamSyn
01-09-04, 11:03 AM
Minehead, standard half board room in Surfers Point, August 14th - 21st. We had a "Wahl" iron, wired into the wall.

An eye-opener for me as I thought Wahl only manufactured hair clippers.

I didn't try it out - on my clothes or my hair . . . :?

Anonymous
01-09-04, 11:09 AM
The irons at skegness were also Wahl when i last saw them.

MadamSyn
01-09-04, 11:15 AM
The irons at skegness were also Wahl when i last saw them.

And did they have the see-through water chamber in rather atteractive blue plastic?

My iron looked fairly new except the sole plate looked as though someone had been at it with a brillo pad!

jcmelbau
01-09-04, 11:20 AM
I wonder if they use Wahl in Haven as well.

Your Head
01-09-04, 11:23 AM

Nah. Haven will have Pifco Irons wont they?

Anonymous
01-09-04, 11:27 AM
Lol, they werent blue at skeggy, but were blue at minehead. I dont understand why they wired some of them into wall sockets, but not others.

MadamSyn
01-09-04, 11:28 AM

Why would you need an iron in Heaven? Unless you crumple your halo or something. :roll:

A world without creases - now that's my idea of Heaven . . .

Pushbutton
01-09-04, 11:35 AM
There's a MASSIVE difference between Haven and Heaven, infact some would say they're almost opposites!

MadamSyn
01-09-04, 11:36 AM
Lol, they werent blue at skeggy, but were blue at minehead.

Outrageous!

Another blatant example of varying standards between the camps. I dread to think what colour they have at Bognor.

Sort it out Bourne Leisure!

Pushbutton
01-09-04, 11:38 AM
Anyway. Here's one for those who think they know everything about Butlins. What brand of light bulbs do they use in the chalets?

Also: What is your opinion of the wattage of the bulbs? Is it too bright, too dull, or just right?

How do the light bulbs they use now compare to the ones they used in the good ol' days?

I am looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions on these most important matters.

Pushbutton
01-09-04, 11:39 AM
Oh, and how many Bourne employees does it take to change a lightbulb?

Your Head
01-09-04, 11:42 AM
Anyway. Here's one for those who think they know everything about Butlins. What brand of light bulbs do they use in the chalets?

Also: What is your opinion of the wattage of the bulbs? Is it too bright, too dull, or just right?

How do the light bulbs they use now compare to the ones they used in the good ol' days?

I am looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions on these most important matters.

I don?t know what brand they are, but they are definitely too dim. About 40 watt I would say. How am I expected to iron in semi darkness? :D

jcmelbau
01-09-04, 11:44 AM

I don?t know what brand they are, but they are definitely too dim. About 40 watt I would say. How am I expected to iron in semi darkness? :D

That's only supposing you do have an iron in your chalet??.... I would advise moving the iron directly under the light but there is a chance that the iron could be one of the wired in kind and the cord might not reach.

Jay

MadamSyn
01-09-04, 11:49 AM

Too dull - I'm sure there are plenty of cross-stitchers who would support me on this.

Also, you would need real "insider" knowledge to be able to name the brand of bulb as it is encased inside the round shade thing.

Any former trolley-dollies care to enlighten us?

Your Head
01-09-04, 11:56 AM
That's only supposing you do have an iron in your chalet??.... I would advise moving the iron directly under the light but there is a chance that the iron could be one of the wired in kind and the cord might not reach.

Jay

Thanks for the tip Jay, but I?m going out to buy one of those torches that strap to your head. A good investment as I?m sure that as year on year the bulbs get dimmer, we will see these torches appear in the hire shop.

Anonymous
01-09-04, 11:58 AM
Thats right, a tourch will be ?2 per day, and ?1 for any bulbs that die while its in your hands, and ?1.50 per set of batteries, plus a ?15 deposit. But as time goes on, these too will be wired to the wall, using a chain.

jcmelbau
01-09-04, 12:01 PM

Too dull - I'm sure there are plenty of cross-stitchers who would support me on this.

Also, you would need real "insider" knowledge to be able to name the brand of bulb as it is encased inside the round shade thing.

Any former trolley-dollies care to enlighten us?

TrolleyDolley!!! - Chaletmonster I thank you!....

Sorry, I am unable to reveal the brand as I signed a confidentiality clause in 1995 and I am not released out of that until my 70th birthday.

Pushbutton
01-09-04, 12:04 PM
in the end Bourne might consider it more efficient to simply chain the camper to the wall in their chalet (with sufficient length to move around the chalet).

That way they do not have to wire everything else into the wall and they can be certain that campers cannot steal anything.

As for leaving the chalet to do something other than ironing or watching TV, nobody will want to do that because the ever-increasing cost will become prohibitive for all but the richest campers.

Ian
01-09-04, 12:06 PM
jcmelbau wrote:

Jay

I seem to remember the irons plugging into the light socket. And before you lot start asking how you could see, they had double adaptors too. Way to go health and safety.

Ian

Anonymous
01-09-04, 12:11 PM
Plugging into the light socket? How do you mean?

Surely Butlins didnt have a double adaptor?

Ian
01-09-04, 12:25 PM

Man you guys are so young. Ok boys and girls in the bad old days before safety regs they used to have irons with the same plug on them as a light bulb (The bayonet variety, not the screw in sort) And as lots of lights hung way down from the ceiling you could pull the bulb out and plug in an iron. All highly dangerous of course but back then, who cared, it worked. And you could also get a fitting that acted as a splitter so you could have a light at the same time (OK Butlins didn't supply this). Gives ya the creeps thinking about this setup doesn't it. But I swear it was used all over the place, no bull!!

Ian

Ian
01-09-04, 12:25 PM

Man you guys are so young. Ok boys and girls in the bad old days before safety regs they used to have irons with the same plug on them as a light bulb (The bayonet variety, not the screw in sort) And as lots of lights hung way down from the ceiling you could pull the bulb out and plug in an iron. All highly dangerous of course but back then, who cared, it worked. And you could also get a fitting that acted as a splitter so you could have a light at the same time (OK Butlins didn't supply this). Gives ya the creeps thinking about this setup doesn't it. But I swear it was used all over the place, no bull!!

Ian

Pushbutton
01-09-04, 12:31 PM
I remember these and I'm only 29!

I don't specifically recall seeing them at Butlins, but we did have them at my school for sure.

Anonymous
01-09-04, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I am too young to remember that! What year would you say it was in?

Ian
01-09-04, 01:06 PM
Mid 60's

Ian

barryislandfan
01-09-04, 01:19 PM
Didnt the shaving points used to be on the lights aswell. I know they were at Maplins?? :D

Jinty great topic, we havent talked about irons anywhere near as much as we should have :wink: :D

Ian
01-09-04, 01:21 PM
Didnt the shaving points used to be on the lights aswell. I know they were at Maplins?? :D

Jinty great topic, we havent talked about irons anywhere near as much as we should have :wink: :D

You bet, nice to know someone elsa remembers

Ian

barryislandfan
01-09-04, 01:30 PM

IanTo be honest I only knew originally from watching Hi-De-Hi, but my dad told me as a kid he would be amazed to see his dad plug his electric razor into the light. I cant imagine that being allowed today!

Ian
01-09-04, 01:35 PM

IanTo be honest I only knew originally from watching Hi-De-Hi, but my dad told me as a kid he would be amazed to see his dad plug his electric razor into the light. I cant imagine that being allowed today!

It wouldn't be, there were only two wires i.e no earth, absolutely frightening, yet I can't ever remember hearing of any accidents.

Ian

barryislandfan
01-09-04, 01:43 PM

I am looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions on these most important matters.Poundland 5 light bulbs for a pound :D . They have to cut down on costs in order to pay for a new teddy machine. The wattage is to low, should be at least 100 so the camp can look bright and happy like it used too.

Ah, the lightbulbs arent like they used to be, Billy Butlin would be horrified :wink:

The Golden Grill
01-09-04, 01:54 PM
I'd love to know where Butlin's Ltd purchased the bulbs for all the amazing floodlights they had in the 1970s; blue, green, red. I've never seen such garish colours since.

And remember when the end of each row had a coloured strip-light light to mirror each camps' individual colour?

The Golden Grill
01-09-04, 01:59 PM
And talking of those adaptors, a colleague of mine worked as a Stage Manager at Barry, Minehead and Bognor in the late 70s, early 80s.

He was saying that when you plugged a kettle into them, the fitting would
get really warm - which although lethal, took the chill off the perishingly cold chalet!

James1
01-09-04, 02:27 PM
Did barry island make use of this then at the time?

barryislandfan
01-09-04, 03:02 PM
Did barry island make use of this then at the time?No Barry Island didnt use the light/plug thing because the camp wasnt bulit until 1965/66. The chalets at Barry Island were state of the art for the time and built to a different design than most other Butlins chalets.

Your Head
01-09-04, 03:23 PM
Are we talking about these things?

Think I'll put it in my suitcase now so I don't forget it at Christmas. :D

Ian
01-09-04, 03:38 PM
Are we talking about these things?

Think I'll put it in my suitcase now so I don't forget it at Christmas. :D

Oh my, havn't seen one of those for a long time. Well done, that is what we are talking about. Scarey looking gizmo ain't it.

Ian

barryislandfan
01-09-04, 07:48 PM
That looks like a safe little device!! Im surprised nobody was ever killed used something like that. Still I suppose we had very little in the way of electrical equipment back then.

James1
01-09-04, 10:17 PM
How did it actually work? Did some appliences havce special plugs on them, which aloowed them to be used with this device?

Surely it didnt work with all devices, and surely not all cables would reach to a light fitting!

Ian
01-09-04, 10:43 PM
How did it actually work? Did some appliences havce special plugs on them, which aloowed them to be used with this device?

Surely it didnt work with all devices, and surely not all cables would reach to a light fitting!

Didn't you read the earlier posts. The appliences did have a special plug which looked like the bottom end of a light bulb, in theory any device can be used this way, it's the same electricity no matter where it's plugged in, and most light fittings in those days reached down a long way from the ceiling, thus making access easy.

Ian

jcmelbau
02-09-04, 09:25 AM
Hang on.... Ironing Boards!

These haven't been mentioned and I was unable to sleep last night with the uncertainty of it all.

Are they the stand up kind, flop down from the wall kind or is it a towel (from the hire shop) on the flotex carpet?

Jintygirl? Shed any light on this...

Jay

barryislandfan
02-09-04, 09:33 AM
Hang on.... Ironing Boards!

These haven't been mentioned and I was unable to sleep last night with the uncertainty of it all.

Are they the stand up kind, flop down from the wall kind or is it a towel (from the hire shop) on the flotex carpet?

Jintygirl? Shed any light on this...

JayI never used mine last time but im sure it was one that flops down from the wall. WOW this is getting to be the most exciting series of posts ever :D

jcmelbau
02-09-04, 09:35 AM
I can just see it now, you'll spend your entire holiday on the web to find out what is going to happen next. I was thinking of starting one about the toilet rolls but I think it may overstimulate some people and we cant have that happening now can we.....

barryislandfan
02-09-04, 09:37 AM
I can just see it now, you'll spend your entire holiday on the web to find out what is going to happen next. I was thinking of starting one about the toilet rolls but I think it may overstimulate some people and we cant have that happening now can we.....LOL I will, i can see me being in the internet cafe all day. I can just picture someone ironing on the flotex carpet!

Pushbutton
02-09-04, 01:55 PM
Two quick questions for everyone:

1. Just wandering, how much time per day, on average, do you spend ironing during your butlins holidays?

2. Describe your ideal butlins iron and your ideal butlins ironing board. Please include in your description the brand of the iron, how much it's worth, what sort of accomodation it's in, how it's wired or plugged in, whether it's in the chalet or you have to hire it, and describe the colour, features, size etc of the actual iron and ironing board in as much detail as possible.

Pushbutton
02-09-04, 02:00 PM
After giving many hours of careful thought to some of the above concerns, it just occured to me that it may be a good idea for butlins to introduce 'cordless' irons in chalets.

These are the ones where the cord is not attached to the actual iron but to a stand on which you rest the iron to re-heat it.

They could wire and chain the stand into the wall, but campers would still have the freedom of moving the actual iron around as much as they like.

However there would be no point in stealing the iron because you couldn't steal the stand!

To make sure of this butlins could have special irons and stands made that are not generally available in the shops.

Who is with me on this?

Jintygirl
02-09-04, 06:03 PM
I can't give a definite answer to either jcmelbau or pushbutton at the moment, because I'm just too excited at the fascinating turn this already very interesting thread has taken.

I just hope that barryislandfan isn't as excited as I am, or he might forget to get the iron photos.

Kerry
02-09-04, 06:34 PM
im more excited about the irons than you :P hha and i could'nt possibly describe my ideal iron/or board theres to many :D :P

jcmelbau
02-09-04, 10:44 PM
Two quick questions for everyone:

1. Just wandering, how much time per day, on average, do you spend ironing during your butlins holidays?

2. Describe your ideal butlins iron and your ideal butlins ironing board. Please include in your description the brand of the iron, how much it's worth, what sort of accomodation it's in, how it's wired or plugged in, whether it's in the chalet or you have to hire it, and describe the colour, features, size etc of the actual iron and ironing board in as much detail as possible.

Wow! What a coincidence. I was actually ironing and reading this post at the same time, spooky eh?

I must admit I?m not the greatest fan of ironing but this thread has really stirred my interest, I must thank Jintygirl for getting it all started.

I thought I?d post a picture of my iron for you all to share (was even still warm at the time!) You may be interested to note that the plug on this iron is a different shape to those ?unwired? irons at Butlin?s* this is because this iron is designed for use in Australia.

So to conclude, my favourite Iron is my ?Breville ?Steam Surge? as pictured below. And, before anyone asks it does not also make cheese toasties as well. If I do ever return to the UK and visit Butlin?s, I will bring this iron and an adaptor so that it can be used on the British electrical system.

Jay

*Where available

Pushbutton
03-09-04, 12:32 PM
WOW what a cool picture!

I love the way you have taken it with what appear to be cupboard doors in the background for added realism. One could easily imagine that iron is in a Butlins chalet by looking at the photo. Great stuff!

jcmelbau
03-09-04, 12:37 PM
WOW what a cool picture!

I love the way you have taken it with what appear to be cupboard doors in the background for added realism. One could easily imagine that iron is in a Butlins chalet by looking at the photo. Great stuff!

Thanks! Although I think we have been told that Butlin's prefer the 'Wahl' model of iron. I have tried to model my home on a Butlin's chalet, just awaiting the delivery of flotex carpet to my house. I also managed to pick up the cheapest utensils I could find at K-Mart to add to the realism.

Next plan of action is to stamp 'Butlin's 77' on some pink sheets with frayed edges.

Jay

Pushbutton
03-09-04, 01:15 PM
I have always tried to make sure my bedroom is laid out like a chalet bedroom. The bed, bedside cabinet, and wardrobe do not necessarily have to look like Butlins ones, but they do have to be in the "right" butlins positions, otherwise I find it extremely difficult to get to sleep, no joke!

Pushbutton
03-09-04, 01:17 PM
I forgot to mention the door to the bedroom also has to be directly in front, and slightly to the left of the bed (because I always slept in the bed on the right-hand side of the chalet).

It's certainly something I look for whenever I'm moving and looking at houses!!! Might sound daft but I honestly can't sleep well otherwise!

Pushbutton
03-09-04, 01:18 PM
I forgot to mention the door to the bedroom also has to be directly in front, and slightly to the left of the bed (because I always slept in the bed on the right-hand side of the chalet).

It's certainly something I look for whenever I'm moving and looking at houses!!! Might sound daft but I honestly can't sleep well otherwise!

Your Head
03-09-04, 03:39 PM

I trust you are able to sleep at home without the waterproofing on the mattress? :D

Jintygirl
03-09-04, 09:57 PM
OOOH! You *****! These strange vinyl-coated mattresses are quite a modern thing aren't they? I do know that without maid service in Standard (doesn't she go on about that??) I had to COMPLETELY re-make the bed every day, because the sheets slide off that stuff (no matter what you're doing on them).

Having read Pushbutton's post earlier, I realised that he may be slightly ahead of me in this week's Daftasabrush Stakes, but as my bedroom is done out entirely in furniture and accessories from the 1960s (and slightly earlier), I can't really say much - except that when I have my huge mansion by the seaside, I shall have a proper chalet in the garden, done out EXACTLY as it should be. AND I shall have a chairlift and a monorail and a funfair with bumper cars you're allowed to bump in and you shall all be invited round. All right, perhaps I'm leading by a short head...

Has anyone noticed there's a possibly ex-Butlin's Skegness dodgem car on ebay, by the way. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=575&item=3928500507&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVWNot quite in the same league as irons, but you know...

And can we get back on topic please!? At this rate it'll be on page two before BIF gets back! :shock: [/url]

Jintygirl
03-09-04, 10:01 PM
Sorry about the [/url], by the way - I'm usually such a perfectionist. :roll:

jcmelbau
03-09-04, 11:19 PM
OOOH! You *****! These strange vinyl-coated mattresses are quite a modern thing aren't they? I do know that without maid service in Standard (doesn't she go on about that??) I had to COMPLETELY re-make the bed every day, because the sheets slide off that stuff (no matter what you're doing on them).

Having read Pushbutton's post earlier, I realised that he may be slightly ahead of me in this week's Daftasabrush Stakes, but as my bedroom is done out entirely in furniture and accessories from the 1960s (and slightly earlier), I can't really say much - except that when I have my huge mansion by the seaside, I shall have a proper chalet in the garden, done out EXACTLY as it should be. AND I shall have a chairlift and a monorail and a funfair with bumper cars you're allowed to bump in and you shall all be invited round. All right, perhaps I'm leading by a short head...

Has anyone noticed there's a possibly ex-Butlin's Skegness dodgem car on ebay, by the way. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=575&item=3928500507&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVWNot quite in the same league as irons, but you know...

And can we get back on topic please!? At this rate it'll be on page two before BIF gets back! :shock: [/url]

I actually took of those cover things off when I worked there, YUK! I needed a stiff drink after that!

Jintygirl, your Butlin's at home sounds great, may I suggest a boating lake with leaky kayaks as well?

Intrigued about the chalet.. what era would you go for, I'd go for Redcamp of the 6os with that big dust covered heating pole at the back to hang my towels off of

Though I would probably have to update it to incorporate an iron........

Jay

Your Head
04-09-04, 02:20 PM
I?m just jealous because my wife wont let me arrange our bedroom like a chalet.

What I?d most like to have is a curtain that extends past the window to cover the door. This wouldn?t be easy to achieve with the windows being sited on the opposite side of the room.

Jintygirl
11-09-04, 11:57 PM
Without ignoring Your Head's post: I couldn't possibly! I've just nominated him in the BMF Awards!! I'd like to respond to Jcmelbau's post:
Jintygirl, your Butlin's at home sounds great, may I suggest a boating lake with leaky kayaks as well?

Intrigued about the chalet.. what era would you go for, I'd go for Redcamp of the 6os with that big dust covered heating pole at the back to hang my towels off of

Jay I'd forgotten about those kayaks! Didn't they always have an inch or two of muddy water in them??? :lol: I would indeed go for Red Camp of the 60s - with outside washing facilities an' all!

I loved the way the chalets looked in 'The Leather Boys' - all new and you could imagine the orange (being in b&w!) and if I did win a fortune on the lottery, as well as saving Mosney and what's left of Barry, I'd have a themed 1960s sort-of Butlins - with everything we miss from the past. It could also have 50s, 40s and even 30s weeks! And we'd all live there, with just the odd Rainbow/Joe argument and Pushbutton/Your Head disagreement to keep things normal!

Ok, so I'm clinically insane. :? It sounds good though! :lol:

Jintygirl
11-09-04, 11:58 PM
Sorry - and I'd also find out what make and model of iron was left in the chalet in the 60s and get all the remaining ones and make sure everyone had one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jintygirl
12-09-04, 01:15 AM
Actually, bet there were ironing rooms instead! Someone put me right! (Not generally - just as regards to this thread!!!! :lol: )

Pushbutton
12-09-04, 06:00 AM
couldn't we make our own irons?

8) Pushbutton 8)

minehead forever
12-09-04, 01:21 PM
can't believe that a thread on irons has almost reached 6 pages :D :D

gaietybarryboy
12-09-04, 04:31 PM
can't believe that a thread on irons has almost reached 6 pages :D :DDon't you understand the obvious importance of irons in peoples' lives?

Rainbow
12-09-04, 04:38 PM
all this talk about irons reminded me bout having to iron my uniform every evening, ive never been that great at ironing but did try, did get asked a few times if id ironed my cullotes, i had on most occasions, just that they creased easily when you sat down in them, few times i admit i didnt have enuff time too. what they shud of asked me was did you iron your shirt, i used to iron it but only the collar and bits that could be seen, as we werent allowed to take the redcoat jackets off,it didnt really matter that all of it wasnt ironed. if i was pushed for time i cut corners and didnt iron the back or sleeves of my shirt.(naughty i know :wink: )

jcmelbau
13-09-04, 12:05 AM
all this talk about irons reminded me bout having to iron my uniform every evening, ive never been that great at ironing but did try, did get asked a few times if id ironed my cullotes, i had on most occasions, just that they creased easily when you sat down in them, few times i admit i didnt have enuff time too. what they shud of asked me was did you iron your shirt, i used to iron it but only the collar and bits that could be seen, as we werent allowed to take the redcoat jackets off,it didnt really matter that all of it wasnt ironed. if i was pushed for time i cut corners and didnt iron the back or sleeves of my shirt.(naughty i know :wink: )

LOL rainbow! yep iron the bits you could see! (I wore a bluecoat) Glad it wasn't just us at minehead.

jcmelbau
13-09-04, 10:47 AM
Without ignoring Your Head's post: I couldn't possibly! I've just nominated him in the BMF Awards!! I'd like to respond to Jcmelbau's post:

Jay I'd forgotten about those kayaks! Didn't they always have an inch or two of muddy water in them??? :lol: I would indeed go for Red Camp of the 60s - with outside washing facilities an' all!

I loved the way the chalets looked in 'The Leather Boys' - all new and you could imagine the orange (being in b&w!) and if I did win a fortune on the lottery, as well as saving Mosney and what's left of Barry, I'd have a themed 1960s sort-of Butlins - with everything we miss from the past. It could also have 50s, 40s and even 30s weeks! And we'd all live there, with just the odd Rainbow/Joe argument and Pushbutton/Your Head disagreement to keep things normal!

Ok, so I'm clinically insane. :? It sounds good though! :lol:

Always had the water in the botton to get your feet wet, anything else wouldn't be Butlin's!

Jintygirl
13-09-04, 09:21 PM
And it was seriously nasty that water in the bottom of the boats...I was going to suggest we go off-topic, but instead I shall start a new thread about boats.... :D

barryislandfan
16-09-04, 02:16 PM
Well my holiday was ruined. Yes Butlins were taunting me, I had not 1 but 2 ironing boards but NO DAMN IRON!!!! :cry:

It put a really dark cloud over my entire holiday, I could barely cope with the disapointment of it all. I could see irons in the hire shop taunting me "Hire me, Hire me Dan" they were saying as I walked past. I had to resist the temptation to part with ?1.50, while having a 10 pound note stapled to a receipt, but it was hard.

The nightmares I had about my clothes being creased got worse as the week went on, by Wednesday I was a wreck. How could Butlins be so cruel as to provide the boards but not the iron? I think a full investigation needs to take place to try and uncover the truth behind the "iron situation" before anyone else suffers the way I did!

gaietybarryboy
16-09-04, 06:03 PM
I'd sue Butlins for therapy (sp?)

Jintygirl
18-09-04, 12:13 PM
I am disgusted on your behalf, BIF. But did you get a photo of the ironing boards - either of them????

barryislandfan
18-09-04, 02:10 PM
I am disgusted on your behalf, BIF. But did you get a photo of the ironing boards - either of them????

:lol: Sadly I didnt, my digital camera broke half way through the week, and as tempting it was to part with ?200 in Dixons Tax Free, I couldnt really afford a new one! :wink:

gabbo
26-09-04, 01:11 PM
I thought it was time the IRONS were brought back to the top. I missed this thread when it was fresh as I was sulking with you all for moaning to much.

On my last visit to Minehead was on a adult break and we stayed in sliver half board (used to be Blue camp) We had an irning board but no iron. We hired one,Hinari Lifestyle which has to be said was piss poor.

On the second night there after several babychams and cherry b's I ended up back at someone elses chalet for a few more drinks. They were in standard half board. Imagine my dismay and anger when plumbed into the wall was a free iron!!!! . I guess the sight of me rampaging up and down the chalet lines ranting about irons while dressed as a school boy was a sorry sight. But things needed to be said. It spoiled a great weekend for me. Making off with the Hinari in protest did little to ease the bitter taste the whole issue has left in my mouth

Have we reached 6 pages yet?

gaietybarryboy
26-09-04, 04:10 PM
Making off with the Hinari in protest did little to ease the bitter taste the whole issue has left in my mouth

Have we reached 6 pages yet?Yes, we're on 6 pages.

Do I take it that you "extended" your hire period, meaning that someone else who needs an iron cannot have one.

barryislandfan
26-09-04, 04:42 PM
It's a disgrace when posh people like me in Silver dont get an iron but are taunted with the board and those people in Standard are given one free of charge :D Saying that when I was in standard I STILL didnt get one. Like you say Gabbo, ruins the entire holiday :wink:

Rainbow
26-09-04, 04:52 PM
bet this is the only place that ironing is so popular. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worked at Minehead
26-09-04, 08:44 PM
Its down to the gits who steal the irons from the chalets. If its not nailed down it gets pinched, people are just like that im affraid. The state some of the chalets used to be in was disgusting.

Anonymous
26-09-04, 11:14 PM
Probs logging in again!!

Well, if they had given me a free iron in Sliver as well as giving it to those in standard i would not have had to liberate the one we hired.

redex
27-09-04, 12:27 AM
This has to be the most ridiculous subject of any thread of any forum I've ever read....I can't believe I got sucked (pun intended!) into reading some of it. :mrgreen:

Pushbutton
27-09-04, 11:39 AM

This is off topic but hey, if you did sue you'd be in with a good chance, since I know the British courts are just as insane as the Aussie ones.

The Advertiser newspaper here reported last weekend that some woman reckons she found a "rock" in a McDonalds cheeseburger.

Hardly likely as a cheeseburger is so small it could hardly contain a grain of sand, let alone a rock!

Anyway the so called rock was apparently 5mm in diametre and the woman DID NOT swallow it.

However she is now trying to sue McDonalds for "an unspecified amount" because somehow finding this tiny bit of gravel in her burger has caused her "to suffer loss of libido, loss of apetite, loss of motivation, loss of earning potential, constant nightmares, depression, strong suicidal feelings, anxiety attacks, hair loss, weight gain and social withdrawal." (that was the exact words in the report)

Not only is she sueing McDonalds but also the individual franchisee AND the manufacturer of McDonalds meat patties!

If it was me I'd just throw the thing on the tray and keep on eating, or possibly if I was feeling cheeky I might ask for a replacement burger! No wonder I'm not a millionaire yet!

Again I know it's off topic, what I'm really saying is DON'T sue Butlins or else you'll probably win and they'll have to pay you so much cash they'll have to close one of their camps to pay for it!!! :roll:

The world is getting weirder all the time!

8) Pushbutton 8)

barryislandfan
27-09-04, 12:07 PM

This is off topic but hey, if you did sue you'd be in with a good chance, since I know the British courts are just as insane as the Aussie ones.

The Advertiser newspaper here reported last weekend that some woman reckons she found a "rock" in a McDonalds cheeseburger.

Hardly likely as a cheeseburger is so small it could hardly contain a grain of sand, let alone a rock!

Anyway the so called rock was apparently 5mm in diametre and the woman DID NOT swallow it.

However she is now trying to sue McDonalds for "an unspecified amount" because somehow finding this tiny bit of gravel in her burger has caused her "to suffer loss of libido, loss of apetite, loss of motivation, loss of earning potential, constant nightmares, depression, strong suicidal feelings, anxiety attacks, hair loss, weight gain and social withdrawal." (that was the exact words in the report)

Not only is she sueing McDonalds but also the individual franchisee AND the manufacturer of McDonalds meat patties!

If it was me I'd just throw the thing on the tray and keep on eating, or possibly if I was feeling cheeky I might ask for a replacement burger! No wonder I'm not a millionaire yet!

Again I know it's off topic, what I'm really saying is DON'T sue Butlins or else you'll probably win and they'll have to pay you so much cash they'll have to close one of their camps to pay for it!!! :roll:

The world is getting weirder all the time!

8) Pushbutton 8)I agree with you Pushbutton, I think we have our American friends to thank for this litigation society we now live in. Where as a few years ago that woman would have ignored it, and as you said carried on eating, she is now of a mind to try and grab as much cash as she can for herself and some greedy lawyer who knows shes lying through her teeth about her problems but doesnt care, in fact he's probably helping her lie - oh no I may be sued now!

When I think of all the things I could have sued for in my life I think i've missed out of thousands! However I accept that accidents happen, things end up in your food and sometimes someone might say something about you that isnt very nice - It's called life, get over it.

I wont bore you with the man in my area who found a catapiller in his frozen peas and had the headline and whole front page of the local paper!

Dont worry I wont be suing Butlins, well not this time anyway :wink:

Joker
27-09-04, 04:01 PM
Seeing as we have gone totally off topic. Moving on to Only in America !!!

Nothing to do with Butlin?s but worth a read.

Have Fun !!!

J-UK

gabbo
27-09-04, 09:54 PM
Come on people, lets keep it iron related!!!

barryislandfan
29-09-04, 09:38 PM
Come on people, lets keep it iron related!!!Well im just about to go off the forum for a few days (in laws tommorow :cry: ), Butlin's at the weekend so thought I'd bring this back to the top to let everyone know I will fulfil the dreams of many and take photos of any iron or ironing board I get. Sadly going Silver again so I doubt i'll have an iron, but the boards were soooo lovely :wink:

Jintygirl
12-01-05, 12:39 PM
Whoops! Ooh sorry my finger slipped! I didn't MEAN to bring this thread back to the top you understand........

by the way, BIF, DID you get an iron in Silver?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

barryislandfan
12-01-05, 08:29 PM
Whoops! Ooh sorry my finger slipped! I didn't MEAN to bring this thread back to the top you understand........

by the way, BIF, DID you get an iron in Silver?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL I did not, very annoyed, i had better get one in deluxe or else :D :D :D

gabbo
13-01-05, 12:22 AM
Well i have two Butlins breaks booked over the coming months. In feb I am off with 20 odd others to Skeggy for an adult break. We are staying in Standard apartments. Then at easter i am off to Bognor with my wife and kids, this time we are in Silver half board.

Rest assured folks i will give you all a full, blow by blow run down on the iron situation at both camps.

I am hoping for a permanntly plumbed in free be at at least one of the camps. I will resisit taking the hire iron this time.

Kath
13-01-05, 09:17 PM
Heh heh! What a funny topic.

I risk upsetting some here but I can confirm that the last time we went we were in standard self catering and we got an iron and ironing board... and I never used it! (I'm on holiday! I don't want to do the ironing!)

Oh and the lighting was fine too (to answer an earlier question!)

I love this message board! Where else could you find a 6-page topic about irons?!

I belong here! 8)

Kath
13-01-05, 09:18 PM
Sorry, make that a SEVEN page topic about irons! :shock: :lol:

You gotta love it! :D

Pushbutton
16-01-05, 09:17 AM
Gabbo, I can't wait for your blow by blow account, so I am wondering if maybe you'd be kind enough to give us a bit of a prediction before you go, as to how you anticipate the iron situation at each camp will unfold?

A crazy idea just occurred to me, but then many of the most successful businesses in the world were thought to be crazy ideas at first.

Perhaps someone could start a sort of "iron library" to be run along the following lines.

Basically the business would employ casual contractors who live very close to each Butlins camp, who would hold a stock of various types of irons (and of course, ironing boards) in their home.

There would be a centralised phone number to contact the business on, as well as a website and maybe even a direct line of contact through each Butlins reception (although Butlins most likely wouldn't allow this as it would compete with their hire shops).

Anyway, the business would work by simply charging a small annual fee, say fifty pounds, which is a flat fee regardless of how often you need an iron. That way the more you camp, the more value you get from your membership.

On arriving at Butlins, all the dedicated ironing camper would need to do is to contact the "holiday iron hotline" via phone or website when they arrive and are allocated their chalet. They then give the operator their camp and chalet number, and place an order for the sort of ironing equipment they require.

The operator passes the info to the local contractor, who meets the camper at an agreed time at the entrance gates, with the iron. The camper simply returns the iron at the end of their stay in the same way.

Contractors would recieve a small commission, say five pounds, for each delivery, and any remaining portion of the fee is kept by the owner of the business as profit, minus any repairs or new equipment costs.

I might even be able to set this up from Australia, anyone want to be a contractor?

gaietybarryboy
16-01-05, 09:48 AM
small annual fee, say fifty pounds, I think for that I'd go to Tesco and buy my own iron and ironing board :lol:

Pushbutton
16-01-05, 10:37 AM
Yes you could do that, but you're missing the whole point. It's about CONVENIENCE these days.

Just as people can buy bread from a supermarket and make their own sandwich for probably 50p, but they happily pay two pounds or more for one from subway etc.

Imagine the luxury of never having to worry about whether or not you have packed your iron when going on holiday. THAT is what I'm offering here. You can't buy that sort of peace of mind really (well actually you could if I started this business up, which I think I might very well do!)

gaietybarryboy
16-01-05, 03:13 PM
So would you airmail the irons over or send them DHL?

gabbo
16-01-05, 11:22 PM
Before i give my predictions for the iron situation I will clarify the two visits I have booked over the coming months. The first is in a standard apartment at Skegness on 25th Feb. its an adult only break that i have organised, there will be about 25 friends and workmates there. I have booked the apartments but we are going half board. When i went in a silver room on the last adult break i realy missed a decent fridge to cool my beer as well as needing the extra space a living room gives you. The second hol is the second week of the easter hols and we are going in silver room half board at bognor with my wife and two little girls aged 9 and 6.

My predictions for the iron situation is as follows

Skegness standard apartment, Iron and Inroning board provided in the room. The iron will be one of them useless non steam things that sticks to everything.

Bognor silver room, ironing board but no iron.

Rest assured photgrafic evidence will be provided.

ps if anyone is going to be at skeggy in feb25th let me know and I will meet up for a cheeky beer.

Pushbutton
17-01-05, 07:25 AM
I don't like the sound of ironing board but no iron. Whoever thought that one up should be fired immediately!

I say let's make the situation clear. You either get an ironing board AND and iron, or you get nowt!

billygirl
23-02-05, 04:46 AM
That's exactly what I got at Minehead last summer, an ironing board with no iron. Just as well I took a travel iron, it beats wearing crinkle-press clothes.
:D

gabbo
24-04-05, 04:24 PM
Its high time this topis was back to the top.

Well as promised an update on the iron situation following the two trips to Butlins so far this year.

Skegness adult break in Feb, Silver self catering apartment, but staying half board. Ironing board but NO iron. did not need to hire one as one of the people i was with brought one.

Bognor with the family at easter, Standard room half board. Ironing board AND AN IRON! Ok it was a poor Whal one that leaked water everywhere, but it did the job (well of sorts..if you were there we were the ones with the wet creased clothes)

I think we need an official Butlins response to the iron situation as there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason in it.

gaietybarryboy
24-04-05, 04:35 PM
I think we need an official Butlins response to the iron situation as there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason in it.I expect there response would be "If it hasn't been nicked, it will be there".

James1
24-04-05, 04:38 PM
To be totally honest, the best thing they could do in my opinion would be to keep all irons at the Housekeepers office (with the exception opf the rooms which have got them wired into wall sockets) but make them available freely to guests for a small refundable deposit (just to prevent people from not returning them)

That way, every resort would keep a plentiful supply of irons, while not ripping people off!

Ikkle-vix
24-04-05, 06:52 PM
Lol theres always an iron in the chalets I stayed in @ Bognor Butlins :D

nattyjane
24-04-05, 07:01 PM
From my experiences I have found in silver apartments

1. Always had an ironing board

2. Skegness do as James 1 suggets above and irons are kept at house keepers office and charge for a refundable deposit.

3. Bognor always had one wired into the wall.

4. Minehead you have to hire it form hire shop. Can't remember cost sorry.

I apologise if this is already mentioned, I haven't re-read the whole topic, Just wanted to input into this classic thread :wink:

James1
24-04-05, 07:21 PM
I cannot understand really why the new accomodation at Skegness didnt have the irons wired in in the first placed - this would have been a logical move to make in my opinion!

IF nothing else, Minehead should offer the facility to collect one from guest services free of charge!

Pushbutton
25-04-05, 08:20 AM
Perhaps the topic I'm about to start deserves a new thread all of its own. However, having spent several hours painfully mulling it over, I have decided, in the interests of convenience, to simply add it to this existing thread.

So the new topic is:
- Has anyone heard any word on how 'the iron situation' will look in the new Bognor hotel?

Your predictions, guestimates, consipiracy theories, complaints, well-wishes, rants, raves, special requests, prayers, pontifications, irritations, congratulations and concerns HERE please!

I know I have opened a whole new can of worms here so I'll stand well back and await everyone's response. :shock:

Pushbutton
25-04-05, 08:25 AM
By the way, don't assume that just because it's a hotel, it will have irons in every room! Butlins are well known for surprises!

My theory is if you book one of the normal rooms, you get an iron, but no ironing board as that would be considered too 'lower class' or 'old fashioned' to fit in with the contemporary look of the hotel rooms.

I also believe if you book into one of the extra expensive rooms, there will be NO IRON at all, but you can have someone collect your laundry and iron it for you, or alternatively you can hire an iron free of charge from the hotel reception, if you don't mind the receptionists looking down their noses at you as you do so.

By the way, I do NOT have any inside info on this, these are merely my best guesses, so please don't book yet just on my say so!

Pushbutton
25-04-05, 12:34 PM
anyone got any alternative theories :?:

jcmelbau
26-04-05, 12:50 PM
anyone got any alternative theories :?:

Firstly, thanks to Pushbutton for bringing this thread to the top of the forum again. I really don't think that we can discuss irons enough, and besides our new people, including our new 'celeb' member can add their comments.

My theory is that the irons at the hotel will be dead posh ones, like those that you see on QVC (or TVSN for our Australian/NZ members)

Wow, another co-incidence, I got a new iron a few weeks ago. As some of you may rememer my Breville 'Steam Surge'from last year was my favorite utensil in the house, unfortunately this met a sudden ending invoving a bottle of Ribena, a packet of Twisties, A Jack Russell puppy and a tiled floor. Anyway, I have a Sunbeam Iron now you will be relieved to know, this also came with a $20 cashback offer from Target.....Will post pics as soon as I can.....

Jay

Pushbutton
26-04-05, 01:11 PM
JCmelbau, do you think they will go for something really amazing, like some sort of 'never seen before' iron with built in internet and TV?

Now THAT would really make your holiday something, wouldn't it?

gabbo
27-04-05, 08:51 PM
thanks to WHO? for putting the topic back to the top....erm, credit where credit is due

jcmelbau
28-04-05, 10:22 AM
thanks to WHO? for putting the topic back to the top....erm, credit where credit is due

:oops: Sorry Gabbo, Was so excited to see the thread back I got confused!

mattman
01-05-05, 11:11 AM
just you are not sure how thanks to butlins here are the instructions how to iron see pic

Pushbutton
01-05-05, 11:22 AM
The above sign contains some extremely useful ironing tips, no doubt about that.

But I wonder how such a sign would have read in the days when you had to plug your iron into the light bulb socket?

Anyone game enough to draft some wording for such a sign?

jcmelbau
01-05-05, 11:48 AM
The above sign contains some extremely useful ironing tips, no doubt about that.

But I wonder how such a sign would have read in the days when you had to plug your iron into the light bulb socket?

Anyone game enough to draft some wording for such a sign?

I'll give it a go:

1. switch off light
2. fumble around in dark to remove lightbulb
3. burn hand on lightbulb
4. go to medical centre
5. return from medical centre and attempt bulb removal again
6. plug in iron to eletrical socket
7. ignore sparks (these are quite normal)
8. place towel (not provided but can be hired at a reasonable* cost from the hire shop) on flotex carpet.
9. Iron clothing
10. remove iron from socket and place in a safe place
11. peel towel from melted flotex carpet and cover with bathmat to hide from chaletmaid
12. replace lightbulb

* Butlin's limited advises that the term "reasonable" is used in the contex of purchases made within the holiday centre only.

Jintygirl
01-05-05, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure that we are treating this very serious subject with enough gravitas. Please can we have a little more reverence and respect. I mean.

Oh, and Jay - since when has the hire shop been on floatex carpet?

OH! I see what you mean...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wizebuys1
01-05-05, 06:06 PM
so if you plug the iron into the light fitting how long does the wire have to be ???? :D

Pushbutton
02-05-05, 10:06 AM
:oops: My sincerest apologies to Jintygirl for the total lack of respect I have shown to the Butlins ironing public (whom I hold in the highest regard and whom deserve our complete admiration).

Yes indeed. We must learn to show nothing short of 100% commitment to taking this subject seriously.

After all, when it comes to Butlins, and irons, there can be no room for those who want to lark about making funny jokes and silly comments.

I shall ensure that I am punished in the most painful and humiliating manner possible for my sins, and let this be a lesson to any other miscreants out there who may be considering degrading Butlins ironing.

And Jay, I am amazed at you! I thought you would have known better than to suggest that the hire shop is on floatex carpet. Really!

Quite right, Jintygirl.

Oh, and in answer to wizebuys1s question, if memory serves me right, the cord length required for plugging irons into light sockets is exactly 47.2cm. (Although of course it would have been measured in inches in those days). Tape measures were available upon request from the hireshop for a *reasonable fee, and you had to be aware that security had the power to enter your chalet at any time without notice to check the length.

Any camper found in posession of an incorrectly corded lightbulb-iron was thrown in the outdoor pool.

Hope that helps!
*the reasoning behind the extortionate fee was that it allowed Rank to make more profit

Jintygirl
02-05-05, 10:48 AM
Thank you, Pushbutton. I truly appreciate your sentiments.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pushbutton
02-05-05, 11:11 AM
I would like to nominate Jintygirl as our official ironing monitor. Anyone to second that please?

wizebuys1
02-05-05, 12:30 PM
:oops: My sincerest apologies to Jintygirl for the total lack of respect I have shown to the Butlins ironing public (whom I hold in the highest regard and whom deserve our complete admiration).

Yes indeed. We must learn to show nothing short of 100% commitment to taking this subject seriously.

After all, when it comes to Butlins, and irons, there can be no room for those who want to lark about making funny jokes and silly comments.

I shall ensure that I am punished in the most painful and humiliating manner possible for my sins, and let this be a lesson to any other miscreants out there who may be considering degrading Butlins ironing.

And Jay, I am amazed at you! I thought you would have known better than to suggest that the hire shop is on floatex carpet. Really!

Quite right, Jintygirl.

Oh, and in answer to wizebuys1s question, if memory serves me right, the cord length required for plugging irons into light sockets is exactly 47.2cm. (Although of course it would have been measured in inches in those days). Tape measures were available upon request from the hireshop for a *reasonable fee, and you had to be aware that security had the power to enter your chalet at any time without notice to check the length.

Any camper found in posession of an incorrectly corded lightbulb-iron was thrown in the outdoor pool.

Hope that helps!
*the reason for the extortionate fee was that it allowed Rank to make more profit
47.2 cm ???? thats only 16 &1/2 " how you ment to iron with that ?? i mean what did you iron on? thin air :D

Pushbutton
02-05-05, 12:37 PM

Quite right, Jintygirl.

Hope that helps!
*the reason for the extortionate fee was that it allowed Rank to make more profit
47.2 cm ???? thats only 16 &1/2 " how you ment to iron with that ?? i mean what did you iron on? thin air :D

No, you ironed on a towel, which you placed on any solid surface available. Jintygirl, I think Wizebuys1 is being a wiseguy!

Can you please remind him to take the length of cord a bit more seriously?

wizebuys1
02-05-05, 12:40 PM
but the cord was only 16 & 1/2" from the light so what did you put the towel on ? a very high table maybe ? also how could you move the iron whilst ironing with such a short cord? :D

billygirl
02-05-05, 01:12 PM
I can remember ironing a dress in the laundrette in the 80's. You put your money in a slot at the side and got quite a lot of time for your money!

Ian
02-05-05, 01:26 PM
God I love this topic. Anyway I found a great link for Irons that show you the OLD OLD irons I remember my Nan using. Yes thats right the plug in light socket ones.

enjoy

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.linnell/sso/pressingmatters.html

Ian

wizebuys1
02-05-05, 01:47 PM
quote from ians link... It was rare for homes with electricity to have wall sockets outside the kitchen, so irons were usually plugged into light fitting adaptors, running a bulb ...ouch simulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.linnell/sso/pressingmatters.html

wizebuys1
03-10-05, 05:44 PM
hey Jintygirl , we had both this year @ bognor

gabbo
22-01-06, 04:53 PM
Its about time this item was back at the top of the tree, where it belongs. Just thought I would tell you my latest iron related adventures. In November we went to Skeggy for the Bonfire Spectacular weekend. We were staying in standard self catering and although clean and tidy there was NO IRON!!!
So the next day i went to he hire shop to hire one. The guy in the shop said he had just replaced his stock I could hire one for ?3 a day or buy one of his old ones for ?3. so i bought one.

We are now the proud owners of a white an purple Hinari iron that works perfectly well.

Hoorah for the hire shop..

jcmelbau
23-01-06, 11:34 AM
Its about time this item was back at the top of the tree, where it belongs. Just thought I would tell you my latest iron related adventures. In November we went to Skeggy for the Bonfire Spectacular weekend. We were staying in standard self catering and although clean and tidy there was NO IRON!!!
So the next day i went to he hire shop to hire one. The guy in the shop said he had just replaced his stock I could hire one for ?3 a day or buy one of his old ones for ?3. so i bought one.

We are now the proud owners of a white an purple Hinari iron that works perfectly well.

Hoorah for the hire shop..

Hurruh for Irons and the return of the Iron thread (and just as I was ironing my shirt for tomorrow)

Great topic.

Jintygirl
23-01-06, 11:51 AM
I must admit that I have not taken as great an interest in this topic as I should have been. After all, as topics go - it's vital. Funnily enough, I was offered an old iron yesterday. I should have taken it and left it in a chalet at Bognor next month, just to confuse the chalet monsters... and the campers of course. Actually, I wonder if it's still available?

Royalsmith
23-01-06, 11:58 AM
stayed at minehead for the october half term. The polish housekeeper asked me if I was happy with the chalet. I said yes with the exception of a missing iron. 10 mins later there was a knock on the door with a brand new boxed iron !

not even sure I used it so it stayed in the box !

Pushbutton
14-02-06, 10:01 AM
Can someone PLEASE HELP?

I have booked my holiday without even thinking about it, and it is now booked and paid for but I woke up in the middle of the night yesterday and suddenly realised that I forgot to ask about irons before booking.

So here is my situation:
I am staying for 3 nights
at Skegness
from 31 March 2006
in standard accomodation
with one other person (my brother)
with 'dinner, bed and breakfast' option selected.

Under 'special requests' all I wrote was "would prefer to stay in older style, single storey accomodation'.

So, am I guaranteed an iron, or will I be forced to wait until I get there, only to risk finding my holiday COMPLETELY RUINED at the last minute when I open my chalet door and find no iron?

I'm going crazy worrying about this and would really appreciate if someone could put my mind at ease, or even if it's bad news I think I would rather know than not know, at least that way I wouldn't spend the next month or so expecting a fabulous holiday ironing experience only to be let down. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Also if anyone can be specific about what type of iron I could realistically expect (if any) then please tell me, the more detailed desription you can possibly give the better!

I just hope I won't get stuck with a Tefal iron for the whole 4 days as that would be almost worse than no iron at all in my opinion. Don't ask me what it is but for some reason me and Tefal irons never did get on too well, I'd be liable to throw it through every chalet window in the camp!

Jamie
14-02-06, 11:02 AM
Could you not take your iron from home just in case? Two irons are better than one as they say... :p

Pushbutton
14-02-06, 11:25 AM
Oooooooooooooooh! Don't know about that one Jamie!

If I was going to take my iron from home then surely I might as well just STAY AT HOME ironing and save the thousands of dollars flying to the UK and hiring a car, plus travel insurance, plus booking butlins.

I also have to disagree with you on the issue of "two irons being better than one". I personally find it very hard if I have two irons alternating between the two. Believe me I have tried very hard but I generally find that no matter how careful I am, one or the other iron (or sometimes even both) tend to get pushed off the ironing board and onto the floor as most ironing boards are only designed to safely hold ONE iron.

The only solution I know of to this is by way of using both irons simultaneously (one in each hand). However that still leaves one with a problem in that you cannot safely place clothing on the ironing board and move it around when you have irons in both hands.

I would therefore require someone else to place the clothes on the board and move them around. I have asked my brother if he would do this whilst I use both hands to iron but he doesn't seem too keen really. His preference is to spend most of the holiday NOT ironing. So unless I could persuade one of the campers in a neighbouring chalet to handle the clothes side of things this option seems doomed from the very beginning!

I can't help but think that it could be quite dangerous having hot irons constantly falling on the floor of my chalet throughout my holiday, since I understand Flotex carpet has a tendancy to burn very easily. Also what if some innocent baby crawls into my chalet if I leave my door open whilst ironing, then gets one of the hot irons falling on them? It could very well be fatal!

In short, with all due respect Jamie I just don't think you've thought that one out thoroughly have you?

The other problem with taking my own iron is that it has a non-removable AUSTRALIAN plug, which is not compatible with UK power outlets, or chalet light fittings, so even if I were to go down that very slippery path, it would be a complete waste of my time.

Thanks anyway, but are there any other ideas out there please?

Jamie
14-02-06, 11:57 AM
I hear that Tesco sells irons for under a fiver these days (probably cheaper than hiring one) and I'm sure Skegness would have a Tesco's.

Please do post your photos and ironing memories from your stay at Bultins on here though for all to enjoy. I am also looking forward to ironing at Minehead in June and the excitement of discovering which model we have the pleasure of using in the chalet. I will definately be posting my ironing photos on here 8-) Oh happy days...

wizebuys1
14-02-06, 12:40 PM
heres a pic of the iron we had at bognor last sept, we ALSO had an ironing board, hope you enjoy

bobrik25
14-02-06, 02:56 PM
dear pushbutton,
i think i may have a solution to your ironing quandry,why not fetch a young lady along to do he ironing for you ,that way you can force yourself to partake of the filthy beer(but do this under protest and ofcourse on the understanding that you are only doing it to keep the bar staff in regular employment) that is served in the onsite hostilries,which after a few filthy beers you will neither worry or care about the ironing anyway,also your lady friend will be able to make a cup of coffee when you awake in the mornings.

Pushbutton
15-02-06, 07:14 AM
heres a pic of the iron we had at bognor last sept, we ALSO had an ironing board, hope you enjoy

WOW Wizebuys, what an iron! You must have had one hell of a great holiday, especially as they threw in an ironing board too!

I assume you were staying in 'Gold' accomodation then?

Pushbutton
15-02-06, 07:16 AM
dear pushbutton,
i think i may have a solution to your ironing quandry,why not fetch a young lady along to do he ironing for you ,that way you can force yourself to partake of the filthy beer(but do this under protest and ofcourse on the understanding that you are only doing it to keep the bar staff in regular employment) that is served in the onsite hostilries,which after a few filthy beers you will neither worry or care about the ironing anyway,also your lady friend will be able to make a cup of coffee when you awake in the mornings.

Well it's hardly the ideal solution, but I must admit it's the best I've heard yet.

Pushbutton
15-02-06, 07:32 AM
I hear that Tesco sells irons for under a fiver these days (probably cheaper than hiring one) and I'm sure Skegness would have a Tesco's.

Please do post your photos and ironing memories from your stay at Bultins on here though for all to enjoy. I am also looking forward to ironing at Minehead in June and the excitement of discovering which model we have the pleasure of using in the chalet. I will definately be posting my ironing photos on here 8-) Oh happy days...

Nice idea Jamie, but once again you haven't REALLY thought it through!

If I purchased one of these five quid irons from Tesco they're so cheap that they're VERY likely to malfunction within a short time, if they work at all.

I would therefore have no option but to buy TWO of them in case one breaks, and then, well, I know you think two irons are better than one, but as I said earlier......

Anyway don't worry. I'll be sure to post some photos when (and if) I return.

wizebuys1
15-02-06, 07:59 AM
WOW Wizebuys, what an iron! You must have had one hell of a great holiday, especially as they threw in an ironing board too!

I assume you were staying in 'Gold' accomodation then?
no we were in standared, just take a look at the iron with it slender lines , see the way the 2 colours blend together, the molded 3 pin plug ,the size & the shape of it, hell it was worth going to butlins just to get a view of this one .we never used it for fear of damaging it .but what a find.

Pushbutton
15-02-06, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't have wanted to spoil it by using it either, but then again I don't think I could have stopped myself. I only hope mine is a tenth as good as that one!

So anyway, what did you do about the ironing if you didn't use that iron?

wizebuys1
15-02-06, 02:38 PM
i got the mrs to sit on them ...ouch!!!! she just slapped me.

bobrik25
16-02-06, 12:54 PM
steady now wizebuys don't go upsetting the mrs.you may have to make your own coffee of a morning,and that would never do!
lol

Pushbutton
24-04-06, 10:10 AM
Just back from Skeggy. Stayed in "Pacific Wharf" (Blue Camp) chalet, half-board.

It now gives me the greatest pleasure to bring you the ironing board supplied in our chalet for 2006.

Whilst I didn't actually use it, you can see from the photo below it's a delightful model combining simlicity of design with wonderful ease of use and invoking gentle feelings of nostalgia with it's classic shape.

The cover was not only beautiful, but also very well suited to the overall decor of the chalet, and I felt it brought about a sense of calm and tranquility which really gave my holiday a boost.

I would give it easily 8/10 anyday!

Pushbutton
24-04-06, 10:17 AM
But the board is only ever half the story when it comes to ironing at Butlins!

"Where was the iron?" you might ask.

Well after conducting an extensive search (6 times) of my chalet I satisfied myself by day 3 of the holiday that there was in fact NO IRON in my chalet!!! I'm sure you can imagine my horror!

As shocking as that might be, especially given the quality of ironing board I had, I am pleased to say that I was able to at least HIRE an iron from the hire shop, which thankfully was just outside my chalet door!

Below is an image of this years model for hire in the Skeggy hire shop, taken through the window of said shop when nobody was looking, due to my being too cheap to actually hire it.

Pushbutton
24-04-06, 10:20 AM
As you can see it's the aptly named "Micromark Steam Iron", presented in a smooth bone-tinted plastic trim.

Towards the bottom is a fully encirculating luxury transparent section which not only pleases the eye, but also serves a very functional purpose as it allows one to accurately judge the level of water in the iron at a mere glance, thus allowing one to reduce the frequency of those irritating chalet fires that can really be so inconvenient (Very clever that!)

This years peice is finished with a traditional stainless steel soleplate fitted with an ample number of beautifully rounded steam-holes.

The entire thing comes neatly packaged in its very own easy-open, easy-close re-usable travel box, which I thought was a really nice touch!

I'm sure you'll agree it looks very impressive indeed. Next time I go I might even hire one. All in all I'd give it 6/10.

Kath
24-04-06, 07:07 PM
I am pleased to say that I was able to at least HIRE an iron from the hire shop, which thankfully was just outside my chalet door!
At first I thought how wonderful that they located you cheek to cheek with the lovely irons, but then a more sinister thought entered my head. How cruel to place you in a chalet with an ironing board, but no iron... and then dance many, many irons past your eyes every time you came out of your chalet; cruelly imprisoned behind an inpenetrable wall of glass (well, it would be penetrable if you had an iron to hurl, of course!). How callous!

Pushbutton
01-05-06, 12:00 PM
Kath, you hit the nail on the head there!

To spend my holiday standing outside that hire shop window in the rain all day, only to stare in frustration at all the irons I could have hired, if only I could have been bothered, is about the most disturbing thing I can imagine (ok then, the second most!)

And yes, it is ironic indeed. It is also most ironic that had I packed my own iron and brought it with me, I would have had something to hurl through that very "inpenetrable" window to which you so rightly refer.

muriel
01-05-06, 05:55 PM
I am incredibly lazy when I go on hols. I take clothers that specifically don't need to iron. Even for evening wear I look for the special tags that say 'No need to iron now'. I wouldn't have noticed if an iron was supplied or not, unless it was placed somewhere I couldn't miss it.

And as someone mentioned earlier, I don't think they were joking about their lack of hoovers. I should hope its different today, but at one camp in the early n ineties as I think I have mentioned elsewhere, there was one good old Henry hoover to go round about four chalet lines.

Hayley2005
01-05-06, 07:25 PM
my mum always takes one of them travel ones..but im pretty sure in gold accom in minehead they have them..

Pushbutton
03-05-06, 09:45 AM
Hayley are we talking travel irons, or travel hoovers now?

It is pleasing to see that this thread seems to have evolved into a most fascinating discussion encompassing not only irons, but various other essential holiday appliances, hoovers included.

Pushbutton
03-05-06, 09:47 AM
I am incredibly lazy when I go on hols. I take clothers that specifically don't need to iron. Even for evening wear I look for the special tags that say 'No need to iron now'. I wouldn't have noticed if an iron was supplied or not, unless it was placed somewhere I couldn't miss it.

And as someone mentioned earlier, I don't think they were joking about their lack of hoovers. I should hope its different today, but at one camp in the early n ineties as I think I have mentioned elsewhere, there was one good old Henry hoover to go round about four chalet lines.

Muriel you may take heart from my recent experience at Skegness. As we were leaving our chalet we saw not just one, but TWO (2), yes that's right, TWO hoovers being wheeled around the chalet lines! Who knows, there may have even been a third already in use in one of the chalets (doubtful I know, but one must have a dream!)

Hope that helps.

wizebuys1
03-05-06, 01:13 PM
As you can see it's the aptly named "Micromark Steam Iron", presented in a smooth bone-tinted plastic trim.

Towards the bottom is a fully encirculating luxury transparent section which not only pleases the eye, but also serves a very functional purpose as it allows one to accurately judge the level of water in the iron at a mere glance, thus allowing one to reduce the frequency of those irritating chalet fires that can really be so inconvenient (Very clever that!)

This years peice is finished with a traditional stainless steel soleplate fitted with an ample number of beautifully rounded steam-holes.

The entire thing comes neatly packaged in its very own easy-open, easy-close re-usable travel box, which I thought was a really nice touch!

I'm sure you'll agree it looks very impressive indeed. Next time I go I might even hire one. All in all I'd give it 6/10.im sorry pushbutton , but its not a patch on the one we had (for free) i mean wheres its slender lines , the coulors are basic , even its shape does nothing for me .

Hayley2005
03-05-06, 07:38 PM
travel iron..

Pushbutton
04-05-06, 08:08 AM
im sorry pushbutton , but its not a patch on the one we had (for free) i mean wheres its slender lines , the coulors are basic , even its shape does nothing for me .

I'm not quite convinced yours could have been even better than those in the hire shop. I mean, have you got a photo of this supposed, "BETTER" iron, or can you at least describe it for me?

wizebuys1
04-05-06, 02:32 PM
here you go pushbutton
just for you. (also on page 14 of this topic.)

Pushbutton
05-05-06, 09:05 AM
I'm just gobsmacked! It actually IS even better!

This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me! Thank you for bringing me into this incredibly exciting new age of enlightenment!

wizebuys1
05-05-06, 03:03 PM
I'm just gobsmacked! It actually IS even better!

This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me! Thank you for bringing me into this incredibly exciting new age of enlightenment!
see i told you , so next time you go to butlins, book in standard acc @ bognor, you never know ...you might get one just like it !!??

Pushbutton
06-05-06, 11:33 AM
Well Bognors probably the camp I'm least likely to be near (hence I have never been there before). But Hey, now I have 2 good reasons to go. 1. The fact I haven't been before (so it's a new experience for me) and 2. I just might get a special iron in my chalet!!!

With such compelling attractions, why would one holiday anywhere else?

James1
07-05-06, 04:36 PM
Well in my two bed chalet at Bognor Regis, in Oyster Bay, there was without a doubt an iron! It was actually one of the first things to greet me in the chalet, being sotred on the wall in a special holder! Instantly thought of you guys on here!

wizebuys1
07-05-06, 04:40 PM
did you take a photo???

Cel
07-05-06, 04:51 PM
Dont think we ever got an Iron.

James1
07-05-06, 07:47 PM
There was actually an inventory list in my chalet, stating what equipment there should be for each different size of chalet. One thing common for each one was an Iron, amongst all the usual things like cups.

I most certainly did get a picture for you guys, which I will post asap!

wizebuys1
14-05-06, 12:25 PM
come on james1 ....its now been a week since you posted & still no pic of the iron.....im starting to have sleepless nights over this now, PLEASE post the pic of the iron. so i can get on with my life without this worry thanks!!!

James1
14-05-06, 05:41 PM
Sorry!!!!! Have been so busy since my experience at Bognor that I just haven't had time!!

Am on my laptop at the moment, but next time I'm on my desktop computer, I will upload it for you, alongside some other pictures!!!

Pushbutton
15-05-06, 09:37 AM
YIPEE! Can't wait to see it. (Bet it's not as good as the one posted by Wisebuys though!)

Cel
15-05-06, 12:13 PM
17 pages on Irons, with pictures. Im really amazed, only on this forum!

wizebuys1
15-05-06, 02:24 PM
Sorry!!!!! Have been so busy since my experience at Bognor that I just haven't had time!!

Am on my laptop at the moment, but next time I'm on my desktop computer, I will upload it for you, alongside some other pictures!!!ive had another sleepless night because of this iron ,been tossing & turning all night, also had a bad day at work (couldnt stop thinking weather the iron pic had been posted,) alas still not yet!!!

wizebuys1
15-05-06, 02:26 PM
(Bet it's not as good as the one posted by Wisebuys though!)you gotta admit mine will take some beating wont it???!!

James1
15-05-06, 05:56 PM
Here we go - enjoy! (Apologies for the size, but I thought some people would like to see it in full detail!)

wizebuys1
15-05-06, 06:43 PM
thanks james1....at least i can sleep again at night.

Pushbutton
16-05-06, 08:05 AM
james1, thank you for that. I am in the process of putting together a detailed appraisal of your iron. However this may take some time to complete. I will post it here once done.

Pushbutton
22-05-06, 12:52 PM
Well I can hardly believe it but there's been nothing said at all here on this thread for over 6 days now, SIX DAYS!

Surely we must all have had some thoughts during these 6 days on the critical (and exciting) matter of ironing at Butlins.

So come on folks, let's hear them, DON'T BE SHY!!!

wizebuys1
22-05-06, 02:16 PM
well ive been giving this some thought.....we could have a beauty competition for irons,not on how good they work but on their looks,they way they feel, their coulors etc.
we could have a 1st,2nd & 3rd place just like at butlins

James1
22-05-06, 02:25 PM
I thought poeple were lucky to have an iron, nevermind a good looking & functional one!

Jamie
22-05-06, 03:27 PM
I do hope that BL won't spoil things by bringing in those new fangled steam irons the size of a suitcase... We have to keep the memories alive of the good old sexy handheld iron....

wizebuys1
22-05-06, 07:23 PM
I do hope that BL won't spoil things by bringing in those new fangled steam irons the size of a suitcase... We have to keep the memories alive of the good old sexy handheld iron....
please dont be biast to the well indowed irons ,the competition would be open to ALL types of iron (except golfing irons) you never know what the larger iron may have to offer.

Jamie
01-07-06, 04:19 PM
Well during the last few weeks I've stayed at both a Hilton Hotel and Butlins Minehead...

Imagine my excitement when I pulled back the mirrored wardrobe door at the Hilton to find this great find... An iron, board and deluxe storage device :razz:

I went weak at the knees with the combination of the deluxe Hilton situation and the fact that it was only two weeks to go until I went to Minehead for the weekend. I've heard sooo much about the Minehead irons...

Well what can I say... to my dismay when I arrived in the chalet at Minehead... just an ironing board which looked as though someone had either made gravy on the board or had a major fire on it.... I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of it however I have managed to attach the Hilton combo, enjoy.... :razz:

wizebuys1
01-07-06, 05:51 PM
WOW!! jamie....what a beautey.;)

Kath
01-07-06, 07:02 PM
We had no iron at Skegness this year. However, there was a lovely laminated notelet asking us to please not iron on the carpet but to use the ironing board provided!

Humph! Using what, exactly??? My hands?? a tea pot?? (Also not provided) Argh!

discokev
01-07-06, 07:05 PM
Humph! Using what, exactly??? My hands??....(Also not provided) Argh!

I think you're supposed to provide your own hands Kath!!! :p

wizebuys1
02-07-06, 03:35 AM
I think you're supposed to provide your own hands Kath!!! :pis that a free activitey then?

Pushbutton
02-07-06, 10:13 AM
is that a free activitey then?

Well of course it's not! Don't be silly. Why would Bourne provide free ironing facilities when they could charge for it?

This, of course, includes using your hands as irons.

Pushbutton
02-07-06, 10:28 AM
Just a little tip for you too Wizebuys, when faced with an ironing emergency whilst on holiday, I have often found that putting on heavy, flat-soled shoes and using my feet to iron clothes is far more effective than hands.

If you sort of do a jogging motion but staying on the one spot, the repeated stamping of the feet gives most clothes a quite acceptable look. However we now have the problem of not being allowed to iron on the floor of course, and jogging on the ironing board could be rather dangerous.

I would recommend putting the clothes on the shelf where the TV, kettle etc is (remove these items onto the floor first) and then climb up onto the shelf using a chair and jog on the spot. Be careful though as I'm not sure if these shelves were designed to take a persons weight for long. Best to "iron" in short bursts then climb down and re-check the stability of the shelf before continuing.

Hope this helps!

butlins steve
02-07-06, 10:41 AM
last week at minehead someone had what looked like a weeks worth of washing drying outside their chalet, on homemade washing lines i dont know about needing an iron, a tumble dryer would have been handy.

Jamie
02-07-06, 12:13 PM
Do the rooms in the Shoreline Hotel have a Corby Trouser Press? :oops:

Pushbutton
02-07-06, 12:25 PM
Do the rooms in the Shoreline Hotel have a Corby Trouser Press? :oops:

Well I haven't actually been myself (and never will either) but I would imagine it's more likely the rooms in the Shoreline have a good old-fashioned mangle type of clothes press, where you feed the clothes between 2 rollers and wind a handle to move the rollers so the clothes get pressed between them and come out the other side.

That's purely speculation on my part, but I'd be amazed if I'm wrong!

discokev
02-07-06, 01:35 PM
However we now have the problem of not being allowed to iron on the floor of course, and jogging on the ironing board could be rather dangerous.

Ofcourse you could always leave the ironing board folded flat on the floor, there's nothing saying it needs to be standing up at full height is there? :cool:

Kath
02-07-06, 07:16 PM
I would recommend putting the clothes on the shelf where the TV, kettle etc is (remove these items onto the floor first) and then climb up onto the shelf using a chair and jog on the spot. Be careful though as I'm not sure if these shelves were designed to take a persons weight for long. Best to "iron" in short bursts then climb down and re-check the stability of the shelf before continuing.

Hope this helps!
Aha! You definitely should submit this to Bourne as a handy hint to print in their little Chalet... sorry, I mean apartment.... guides. I, for one, have found this explanation most helpful.

Pushbutton
03-07-06, 09:55 AM
Ofcourse you could always leave the ironing board folded flat on the floor, there's nothing saying it needs to be standing up at full height is there? :cool:

Discokev, you've done it again! You never cease to amze me with your ingenious ideas. How anyone can go on holiday without your priceless advise is completely beyond me.

Many thanks!

Pushbutton
05-07-06, 12:24 PM
Aha! You definitely should submit this to Bourne as a handy hint to print in their little Chalet... sorry, I mean apartment.... guides. I, for one, have found this explanation most helpful.

This got me thinking Kath, Bourne could even go a step further than that. After all, if the popularity of this thread is anything to go by then ironing is the single most popular of all the activities ("free" or otherwise) now available at Butlins.

So I am going to email Bourne a proposal that they include at least 2 pages on ironing in the next Butlins brochure, and they could include some of the ideas and tips from this thread.

Maybe they could even go as far as to introduce an ironing competition once a week at each camp, with the prize being a free hire iron in your chalet for the remainder of your holiday!

Pushbutton
05-07-06, 12:28 PM
Does anyone remember the episode of HideHi where you see Ted ironing in his chalet, and the iron is obviously plugged into the lightbulb socket in the ceiling!

Can't quite remember which episode it was now but I have it on DVD and saw it recently.

wizebuys1
10-07-06, 05:34 PM
just had a thought.....with the amount of us forum members that are going to minehead, we could have a "whos got the best iron comp"
followed by "best ironing board comp"
then "most ingenious way of using them togeather comp" :rolleyes:

Kath
10-07-06, 06:36 PM
^ Sounds great althought it may simply be a game of "Who's got an iron if Minehead is anything like Skeggy! :lol:

I like the idea of the "most ingenious way of using them together comp"! :lol:

wizebuys1
10-07-06, 06:45 PM
^ Sounds great althought it may simply be a game of "Who's got an iron if Minehead is anything like Skeggy! :lol:

I like the idea of the "most ingenious way of using them together comp"! :lol:

yes i know what you mean ;)

we gotta think of some new comps but based on the old style of butlins for the minehead trip hence the above :rolleyes:

bobrik25
10-07-06, 09:54 PM
what about the sexiest electric flex competition?

butlins steve
11-07-06, 05:55 PM
Ive just seen my freinds photos of her weekend at Bognor, and on the wall of there chalet was an iron and board hung on the lounge wall.

wizebuys1
11-07-06, 07:35 PM
what about the sexiest electric flex competition?i like the sound of that..:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pushbutton
23-07-06, 11:23 AM
Just found this helpful little review on the Skeggy ironing sitation in 2002 by someone called "cripple" at
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/other-uk-ireland-topics/butlins-skegness/380238/

There is an ironing board provided and you can hire irons free of charge. If you're a stickler for neatly pressed clothes then bring your own, they are a basic iron with no steam facility. In fact my travel iron would have done the job better. I need an iron, as I cannot be bothered to iron all the clothes before putting them in the suitcase. You may think this a bit lazy but I cannot see the point in ironing clothes only to have to re-iron them when you get them out of the suitcase!

It is a bit out of date being from 2002 but nonetheless I thought the bit about NOT ironing clothes BEFORE you go to Butlins was a great peice of advice!

I would, however, be very keen to hear everyone elses views on this somewhat contraversial idea. So should you iron your clothes BEFORE you go to Butlins, AFTER you get there, BOTH before and after, only when they are very obviously creased, or maybe even not at all? So many options... What do YOU think?

billygirl
23-07-06, 07:17 PM
I iron my clothes before packing them in my case, but I roll rather than fold them so that I can just shake them out and hang them up when I get there. They don't tend to crease that way.
Having said that, I take my little Argos travel iron (v. good for a fiver) with me for when I'm feeling extra fussy.
In silver I got an ironing board but no iron, but in standard I got neither, so had to iron on the floor.
Methinks this thread is going to go on and on...

wizebuys1
24-07-06, 06:10 AM
mrs wize has an ornimental iron, it works fine but she never uses it :rolleyes:

Pushbutton
24-07-06, 11:20 AM
mrs wize has an ornimental iron, it works fine but she never uses it :rolleyes:

Yes but as Mrs Wize probably knows very well, just HAVING an ornamental iron it itself makes you feel like you're clothes are looking better, in much the same way as I live right next to the beach, (and I proudly boast that to people) yet I never ever go onto that same beach.

So my point is, maybe it's good to have an iron with you in your chalet, even if you don't actually use it???

discokev
24-07-06, 05:51 PM
So my point is, maybe it's good to have an iron with you in your chalet, even if you don't actually use it???

Does the same thing apply even if you don't have an iron in your chalet but there is one just across the camp at the hire shop? Just knowing it is there if there's a real ironing emergency! How strong is the force from an ormamental iron? Is the force stronger depending on how good the iron is?

Pushbutton
25-07-06, 12:32 PM
Does the same thing apply even if you don't have an iron in your chalet but there is one just across the camp at the hire shop? Just knowing it is there if there's a real ironing emergency! How strong is the force from an ormamental iron? Is the force stronger depending on how good the iron is?

An excellent question discokev, and one I will do my best to answer. However I am not really an expert on these matters and can only speak from my very limited ironing experience.

However it seems likely to me that the 'force' you describe is indeed likely to vary depending on the quality of the iron, or at least to some extent.

To clarify that, I would say that the force is affected by a number of factors, and these are (to the best of my knowledge):
1. The quality of the irons in the hire shop
2. The number of irons in the hire shop
3. The cost of hiring an iron
4. The distance between the chalet and the hire shop
5. The size of the chalet and the lighting inside it
6. The number of clothes in the chalet needing ironing
7. How badly the clothes need ironing
8. Whether the clothes are visable or concealed and where the clothes are in relation to the iron (distances, angles and how the clothes are stored etc will affect the Feng Shui of the chalet which in turn may impact on the force of the irons)

So as you can see it's quite a complex formula that determines the level of the force.

May that force be with you on your next Butlins Holiday!

wizebuys1
26-07-06, 02:17 PM
An excellent question discokev, and one I will do my best to answer. However I am not really an expert on these matters and can only speak from my very limited ironing experience.

However it seems likely to me that the 'force' you describe is indeed likely to vary depending on the quality of the iron, or at least to some extent.

To clarify that, I would say that the force is affected by a number of factors, and these are (to the best of my knowledge):
1. The quality of the irons in the hire shop
2. The number of irons in the hire shop
3. The cost of hiring an iron
4. The distance between the chalet and the hire shop
5. The size of the chalet and the lighting inside it
6. The number of clothes in the chalet needing ironing
7. How badly the clothes need ironing
8. Whether the clothes are visable or concealed and where the clothes are in relation to the iron (distances, angles and how the clothes are stored etc will affect the Feng Shui of the chalet which in turn may impact on the force of the irons)

So as you can see it's quite a complex formula that determines the level of the force.

May that force be with you on your next Butlins Holiday!with that complex formula im not suprised mrs wize only looks at hers.:wink:

Jamie
16-09-06, 02:41 PM
I'm a little concerned that we haven't had a mention of irons for almost two months now! Perhaps ironing is seasonal?

Could I ask that those going to the forum meeting in two weeks time at Minehead take photos of their chalet or hire irons?

If the photos could be posted here we would be able to see a cross section of the types of irons from the different accommodation at Butlins over the same weekend?

It would also be great to hear of people's ironing habits during the 29th/30th September 2006. Perhaps the first ironing census on such a grand scale?
:rolleyes:

wizebuys1
16-09-06, 03:59 PM
I'm a little concerned that we haven't had a mention of irons for almost two months now! Perhaps ironing is seasonal?

Could I ask that those going to the forum meeting in two weeks time at Minehead take photos of their chalet or hire irons?

If the photos could be posted here we would be able to see a cross section of the types of irons from the different accommodation at Butlins over the same weekend?

It would also be great to hear of people's ironing habits during the 29th/30th September 2006. Perhaps the first ironing census on such a grand scale?
& i thought i was wired..lol:p

Pushbutton
19-09-06, 10:01 AM

As I will be in Australia, I am unfortunately unable to attend the forum meeting.

However if it helps at all I am still more than willing to update you on my ironing habits, and post a photo of my iron during the period around the 29-30 September.

It might be educational to compare ironing in Australia and ironing at Butlins during the same period.

Jamie
19-09-06, 11:41 AM
Yes an international comparison would help greatly... and any photos from around the world with your irons would be great :D especially for those that can't get to the weekend break...

amybeean
19-09-06, 12:46 PM
Just reading this for the first time, I too am in Australia so unable to make it to minehead.... but weirdly [weird because i only just read this topic] i was planning on going iron shopping sometime soon because the in-laws is rubbish and my man took ours with him [he is in the raaf - lots of starched collars etc] So any advice on what to look for in an iron would be useful! being 19 i'm not so good with this stuff, i just get frustrated with 'mums' as its cordless and doesn't hold the heat well!!!

Ta,
Spangles x

Pushbutton
20-09-06, 09:13 AM
as a sort of 'spin off' thread to this one, I have started a new thread called "Clothes Hangers".

I was going to add it to this thread but I wanted to make it seperate so it can have a poll attached.

I would be interested in everyones comments on hangers though so please look out for this thread!

discokev
07-10-06, 08:06 AM
ok, I'm sure you've all waited long enough for this!!

Me & Kath were staying in Pacific Wharf at Minehead, in a silver adapted (for disabled) room. We had an ironing board but no iron!

Here is the ironing board in the cupboard as we found it...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/discokev/Ironingboard.jpg

And here is the ironing board fully assembled...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/LonePineKath/P3300136.jpg

Here is Kath demonstrating the use of the ironing board with a travel iron...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/LonePineKath/P3300134.jpg

And here is a close up of the travel iron which she was using...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/LonePineKath/P3300135.jpg

I think Kath's conclusion after trying the iron and board was that the travel iron was no good and the top would do how it was!!!!

Pushbutton
07-10-06, 12:10 PM
Thanks discokev.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but that iron makes the board look incredibly luxurious.

Not that the board is really anything particularly special, but the iron is so small and so basic that by comparison the board is brilliant!

Perhaps you'd have been better off treating yourself to a Butlins hire iron, don't you think?

discokev
07-10-06, 12:19 PM
Perhaps you'd have been better off treating yourself to a Butlins hire iron, don't you think?

Possibly but would we have been happy with the ironing board if we hired an iron which was that much better? It's tricky to get the balance just right....

skegred
07-10-06, 01:00 PM
Kev,Kath, l was in Pacific Wharf ,Delta Avenue, no17,and l had nothing to iron you could have "Rented" mine off me for a a small charge.

l had the whole accomodation to myself,if l'd had the same accomadation in Skegness in my Hi-De-Hi days l could have had an orgy in there,if only

Andy skegred

Captain Peacock
07-10-06, 01:07 PM
Kev,Kath, l was in Pacific Wharf ,Delta Avenue, no17,and l had nothing to iron you could have "Rented" mine off me for a a small charge.

l had the whole accomodation to myself,if l'd had the same accomadation in Skegness in my Hi-De-Hi days l could have had an orgy in there,if only

Andy skegred

And what was stopping you having an orgy recently, Andy??? Get yourself a Red blazer for the next trip.. I bet you still got the way with the women!! lol

discokev
07-10-06, 01:08 PM

Andy skegred

You had an iron?? :o And room for an orgy!!! :eek:

No wonder you enjoyed yourself Andy!!! :lol: :wink:

skegred
07-10-06, 01:31 PM
How l envied Jerry, Karen,Alex,Kev,and Kath, Kirsty,(oh and Sammy although l didnt see much of her) for the time they spent supping the night away in Reds,Centre Stage,Jaks,and Bar Rosso,and Irish bar,

Owing to my mispent youth and butlins,(and theatre) over the years, l have got myself a duodenial Ulcer,and it limits my drinking

And my friend Graham (Capt Peacock) lve been playing Hard to get with the ladies and its working,they dont wont to know, l could have done with your contacts at Minehead.

l'm so lost without my Redcoat,
Ah Memories,Memories.

Andy skegred

Captain Peacock
07-10-06, 01:35 PM
Really wish I could have been there Andy... just came at the wrong time with me being away for a week previous to that and also my nephews birthday.

I love going back.. partly for the memories and also coz I still know a lot of people there so its good to see them all.

Next time we'll both stop playing hard to get and see where we get... must try and get some Reds!! lol

Pushbutton
08-10-06, 08:34 AM
Possibly but would we have been happy with the ironing board if we hired an iron which was that much better? It's tricky to get the balance just right....

I see your problem mate, only wish I could help.

I guess the lesson we can all learn from your holiday is that it pays to take a selection of at least 5 different irons with you to Butlins, because you never quite know which one will best suit your ironing board until you get to your chalet and see the board.

If you wanted to be completely assured of a holiday to remember, you could go as far as taking a selection of say, 3 or 4 boards with you as well.

The only problem then is a lack of chalet space due to all the ironing boards. This can be a significant issue, so it's a good idea to book a chalet roughly 1.5 times the size you actually need for the number of people staying there, so you have sufficient room for all campers plus all ironing boards.

Hope that helps a bit!

Pushbutton
02-11-06, 09:04 AM
I was watching Hi de Hi last night and I saw the episode in which Peggy is ironing in the laundry.

I have to say I was most inspired by her method of dampening the clothes prior to ironing them.

For those not familiar with this method, it may be just what's needed to improve the quality of your ironing while on holiday at Butlins.

1. Take a cup or mug
2. Run down to the toilet block (these days you would have to use the toilets in the skyline probably, unless you cheat by using the toilets in your chalet but I'm sure nobody would take the easy way out like that) and fill the cup or mug with cold water
3. Upon arrival back at your chalet, take a mouthful of the water
4. Spit the water onto the clothes with your lips almost closed whilst shaking your head from side to side, so that the water sprays fairly evenly over the clothes
5. Immediately proceed to iron the clothes.

Go on, give it a go next time you're at Butlins!

clactonman
02-11-06, 12:53 PM
This is a pic from Bognor two weeks ago..an iron AND an ironing board!!

Pushbutton
03-11-06, 08:43 AM
how many chalet maids did you have to bribe for that?

Jamie
11-04-07, 05:28 PM
I'm off to the dark side soon (the Bognor Shoreline) and was wondering what type of iron one can expect?

I've read that you actually get an ironing board & an iron!

I really can't contain myself and was wondering if anyone has any photos of said ironing facility?

Here's hoping...

Blue Camp
11-04-07, 07:00 PM
We've got a travel iron, so it doesn't really affect us

minehead forever
12-04-07, 12:23 PM
jamie did you bring this back for a laugh,thought this thread was long gone.

Pushbutton
12-04-07, 01:03 PM
I assume you're joking? This thread will NEVER die!

In an effort to assist you Jamie, since I have never been to the dark side, I did a googe image search for "shoreline iron".

The image below was the first that came up in the search results. I'm not sure if it will be much help to you really, but maybe you might want to consider buying one of these t shirts to wear while you're ironing in your chalet?

Pushbutton
12-04-07, 01:05 PM
I just realised, you probably should buy several of them, so you can be wearing one, and ironing another (and perhaps one being washed and one being dried).

4 in total should see you through.

Pushbutton
19-05-07, 11:58 AM
*** NEWSFLASH!***

I just found this very informative review of Butlins Skegness on dooyoo.co.uk, and I was shocked to say the least.

I cannot believe I had not known all these years that Butlins hire irons don't even have a steam facility!!!

Don't believe me? See the review below:

There is an ironing board provided and you can hire irons free of charge. If you're a stickler for neatly pressed clothes then bring your own, they are a basic iron with no steam facility. In fact my travel iron would have done the job better. I need an iron, as I cannot be bothered to iron all the clothes before putting them in the suitcase. You may think this a bit lazy but I cannot see the point in ironing clothes only to have to re-iron them when you get them out of the suitcase!

This post is located at http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/other-uk-ireland-topics/butlins-skegness/380238/

Who would have thought? No steam???

Mind you, that was written in Jun 2002, so hopefully things have improved since then, and Butlins have changed their irons.

I could have sworn the ones' I saw last year had steam.

Pushbutton
19-05-07, 12:02 PM
Anyone know what brand(s) / model(s) of iron Butlins are hiring this year?

DO THEY HAVE A STEAM FACILITY NOW?

Also how much does it cost and how long do you get?

Pushbutton
19-05-07, 12:04 PM
Sorry I just have one more question.

Is there anywhere on camp (at ANY of the camps) where you can actually buy (as opposed to hire) an iron?

Please let me know because if any of the camps sell irons I would love to visit that camp while I am in the UK this August so I can buy one as a souvinir.

Blue Camp
19-05-07, 07:46 PM
on the subject of ironing boards, the one in our chalet in April, was a minature one. It stood about a foot high when erected, not really sure how you used it though :?:

Pushbutton
20-05-07, 10:06 AM
My local Ikea is selling those for $15 (6 pounds). They are designed to be used on top of a table or counter.

In a standard half board chalet that probably means removing the kettle and TV from the counter in the bedroom and then ironing on there.

The easier option would be to just get down on your knees and use the mini board on the floor next to your bed! It's a matter of personal preference!

Kath
21-05-07, 07:39 PM
As this thread has come to my attention again I just have to brag and show you what we got treated to at Bognor in April;

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/LonePineKath/Bognor%20April%202007/P4200509.jpg

^ Not one, but two ironing boards and...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/LonePineKath/Bognor%20April%202007/P4200510.jpg

An iron!! (and washing up liquid too!) I had to go and have a sit down.... The shock and excitement was just too much!! :D

Pushbutton
22-05-07, 09:45 AM
I can certainly understand your excitement. WOW!

For a moment when I looked at your second picture there, I thought the washing up liquid was some sort of spray-on starch, or "ironing aid" that you can get to supposedly make it easier to iron.

But that, of course, was just me being far too greedy!

But to get TWO ironing boards is just so cool. Did you remember to tip the chalet maids?

Pushbutton
19-04-08, 12:08 PM
Here's a sneak peak at the all-new, stylish and contemporary 2009 Butlins iron.

Could this finally be the long-awaited attraction that puts the fun back into Butlins?

butlinsforever
20-04-08, 06:36 AM
Last time i went to skeg they had removed all the normal size irioning boards and replaced them with them table top ones. which are as much good as a chocolate fireguard. Especially in silver half board when there isnt anywhere to put it on. We went to have a look at the nursery near to tha staff sheds and on one of the windows was an advert to all staff. Telling them they had so many old chalet ironing boards to give away. Should have left them in the guest chalets. i asked a housekeeper who said they had had to remove them all. So i had a walk to the hire shop who had none left wonder why.they wonder why there's iron burns in carpets. its because it was easier to put a towel on the floor and iron on that. In regards to irons we always take our own. had a couple of horror stories with the hire ones

beatles
20-04-08, 04:07 PM
i know this is not an iron but the thing that gets me is the stupid coat hangers they only have the wire ones you hang one t-shirt on there and there bent what is the good there so now because they are so cheap in some shops i take my own then leave them there at the end of the week but i never use the iron board but i just think they take up too much space and are not needed,plus i dont think iv seen a plug socket in any chalet that iv been in

Pushbutton
21-04-08, 12:40 AM
Ah but there's a bit of a trick to plug sockets at Butlins, Beatles. Maybe you just weren't looking in the right place?

You see, in a Butlins chalet, if you want to plug something electrical in, you first unscrew the lightbulb, and then plug the item into the light fitting.

If you can't get the plug to fit, or you don't happen to have a light socket - 3 pin plug adaptor handy, you may need to remove the plug from your iron or whatever electrical device you have, and manually attatch the wires from it into the light socket.

Make sure you take a screwdriver with you, as this can be quite tricky to do with your teeth (believe me).

keno051
21-04-08, 11:36 AM
Havent bothered to read through alllll the pages lol

But we take our own iron everytime we go;)

beatles
22-04-08, 09:13 AM
oh your so funny pushbutton how do you expect me to reach the light fitting im 5 ft 3 get a step ladder

Pushbutton
22-04-08, 09:45 AM
oh your so funny pushbutton how do you expect me to reach the light fitting im 5 ft 3 get a step ladder

Either that or if your chalet has a proper, full size ironing board (not one of them pathetic little toy ones) then place the ironing board underneath the light and stand / kneel on that.

Hope that helps!

beatles
22-04-08, 10:50 AM
id need a ladder to get on that dont they realize that they have small people in chalets aswell as tall people

Pushbutton
22-04-08, 11:57 AM
I see your problem Beatles, and it is quite a difficult one.

I think in consideration of this, Butlins ought to immediately introduce a service whereby you can SMS them and they will send around 2 strong redcoats to lift you onto the ironing board.

The redcoats should then wait until you finish wiring your iron into the light socket and lift you safely back down.

I realise this involves employing additional staff to ensure there is always an adequate supply of redcoats to meet demand for this new service, but surely it beats having to constantly explain to grieving relatives why their family member died while trying to climb onto an ironing board, which I imagine must be happening at an alarming rate each day.

Come on Butlins, help us save some campers lives!

beatles
22-04-08, 11:59 AM
two redcoats in my chalet sounds good but i dont think there would be much of me wiring the iron i can think of something better

Pushbutton
25-04-08, 05:39 AM
Perhaps one way of improving the quality of evening entertainment would be to have redcoats in Reds or Centre stage doing campers ironing for them.

This could be offered as a free service, as it would be a low cost form of entertainment, and certainly much better than having to put up with yet another round of "King meets Queen".

Obviously there wouldn't be time to do everyones ironing (and of course many campers would prefer to do their own) but they could have a free raffle to determine who gets to have theirs done "on stage".

What are your thoughts on this?

beatles
25-04-08, 09:30 AM
i cant see the point in ironing things because as soon as you have put them on they have creased again unless you only iron from the waist down where you tuck the bit in your trousers

Pushbutton
25-04-08, 12:04 PM
i cant see the point in ironing things because as soon as you have put them on they have creased again unless you only iron from the waist down where you tuck the bit in your trousers

But surely the whole point of ironing is for the sheer pleasure you get from it, isn't it?

beatles
25-04-08, 12:46 PM
yes but the time i spend ironing i could be doing some thing more exciting how boring is ironing anyway