PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Ladbrokes holiday centres

SweetDenzy
22-09-05, 10:26 AM
I was looking on the list of camps and there was a Ladbrokes holiday centre in Middleton on Sea called Sussex Coast. Can anyone tell me what happened to it. Is it still there and who owns it now?

gazza72
22-09-05, 03:00 PM
I know the ladbrokes in Seaton, Devon, was purchased by Warners. Warners already had a site next door to ladbrookes, and all they did was to remove the fence and enlarge the camp.

Don't know if Warners took over all of ladbrookes at the time, but it was at that point that ladbrookes sold out of the business, and it would have been unusual, but not impossible, for sites to be sold individually.

Hope this helps!

p.s. think they sold out in about 84, 85 ish.

SweetDenzy
11-10-05, 09:40 AM
think the one in Middleton has been demolished cos no one knows of it. Think I will send a e mail to their tourist office and ask them for details. :lol:

Smileysal
29-01-06, 02:36 AM
Hiya,

I know this post was posted ages ago,but, Sussex Coast Holiday Village was built in 1922 by Sir Walter Blount, It was called New City and was built on the site of an old Seaplane factory (in fact, the restaurant was one of the former hangars.) The name changed later to Southdean Hotel and sports complex, then The southdean Hotel, Southdean Holiday Centre and lastly Sussex Coast Holiday Village. In the main hotel building (upstairs had gone downhill) the main area still had its old marble pillars and marble floor. It had been owned by Ladbrokes, then Warners and lastly (for only 1 year!) Shearings who then sold it for the land so they could build houses on it. (again, another one gone). They did the same to Dovercourt Bay in Essex and also Devon Coast Holiday Village (formerly Country Club) in Paignton, South Devon.

Sussex Coast HV, is now a housing estate. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Nice camp. Went there in its last season (also last season at Dovercourt and Devon Coast!). Sad to see all 3 of em gone. Damm developers!

:) Sal

Cel
01-02-06, 08:39 PM
Whats really annoying is they slap homes on these sites, you can slap a home down anywhere but these sites really NEED something special to bring them alive, not a few cheep homes and a car park.

SweetDenzy
02-02-06, 11:33 AM
Ah ha so that is what happened to it, thanks for all the information and I must apologise for the delay but have been busy since Christmas. Getting over the festive season takes a month. I know Dovercourt had gone. Very sad that, I went there when I was very small and again when I was an adult. They the outdoor scenes of Hi De HI there. The knocked my school down and built houses on the land and that was a purpose built special needs building which they could have used for something else. But they do that a lot where I live. My saddest moment though was when I knocked BUtlins at clacton down, now I was heartbroken about that. I had many happy holidays there, both as a child and an adult.
I remember going to visit Sussex coast just after the hurricane in 1987 and it was in very poor state, came off worse than Butlins at Bognor and that was grim as well.

Smileysal
13-02-06, 03:26 AM
oh yes, it was going downhill specially in the last year of opening. Shearings only had it for one season then closed it. I was surprised that the old hanger (had been converted into the restaurant downstairs and staff rooms upstairs) had been knocked down. It was supposed to be listed, it was there from when it was a seaplane factory before the 1920's. The camp was built in 1921 so its a real shame that its all gone now. The houses they've built on the site are the tiny townhouses. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! How dare they!

sorry for going on and on again, thats my problem, can't stop talking, hehehe! oh well, its another camp consigned to the history books - again!

atlas33
10-04-06, 10:43 PM
Of course, at one time, Ladbrokes owned the oldest holiday camp in England. This is Caister Holiday Camp (Centre in later years). Started 100 years ago this year and now owned by Haven, and still going strong.

Smileysal
26-04-06, 05:11 PM
Yes, and that used to be two camps as well. as you go down the drive the camp on the left was Caister Beach and the one on the left was Silver Sands. Both had their own pools and entertainment complexes. Silver Sands was much smaller than Caister Beach.

We were there with marching bands in 1985 and it was still the two camps then, still owned by ladbrokes. Cos the pool at Silver Sands was very small we used to go swimming at other one cos that was bigger and had more things to play with. :D God im showing my age now. :mrgreen:

:) smileysal :)

SweetDenzy
07-06-06, 12:28 PM
caister is still going strong, went there in october 2000, but their chalets not really suitable for wheelchair users. went past there this year and waved. we were staying at hemsby. New Horizons took over Seacroft from Pontins and in the last year that has gone downhill.

sharpee
14-06-08, 01:26 AM
oh yes, it was going downhill specially in the last year of opening. Shearings only had it for one season then closed it. I was surprised that the old hanger (had been converted into the restaurant downstairs and staff rooms upstairs) had been knocked down. It was supposed to be listed, it was there from when it was a seaplane factory before the 1920's. The camp was built in 1921 so its a real shame that its all gone now. The houses they've built on the site are the tiny townhouses. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! How dare they!

sorry for going on and on again, thats my problem, can't stop talking, hehehe! oh well, its another camp consigned to the history books - again!

Nice to see others miss the place too! Would love to hear your story about working or holidaying at Sussex Coast as I'm collecting info for website covering mainly that camp: http://www.ukholidaycamps.co.uk

Richard Watt Camp Photographer
11-01-12, 08:06 PM
Yes, and that used to be two camps as well. as you go down the drive the camp on the left was Caister Beach and the one on the left was Silver Sands. Both had their own pools and entertainment complexes. Silver Sands was much smaller than Caister Beach.

We were there with marching bands in 1985 and it was still the two camps then, still owned by ladbrokes. Cos the pool at Silver Sands was very small we used to go swimming at other one cos that was bigger and had more things to play with. :D God im showing my age now. :mrgreen:

Yes I was the 'camp' photographer, 1985, have found all my negs and have started a FB page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbro...46797472055080

Regards Richard Watt

the senor
12-01-12, 12:28 PM
Did you know that Ladbroke group sold their Holidays division for 55m to Mecca and used that money as the deposit to buy Hilton hotels.

Pushbutton
12-01-12, 12:54 PM
Did you know that Ladbroke group sold their Holidays division for 55m to Mecca and used that money as the deposit to buy Hilton hotels.

Didn't know that. So does that mean the international chain of Hilton hotels is now entirely owned by Ladbrokes?

Richard Watt Camp Photographer
13-01-12, 01:41 PM

Memory lane any one ? 1985 - from Richard, Caister camp photographer..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080