PDA

View Full Version : Ladbrokes Holidays

Befo76
25-09-07, 11:17 AM
Anyone ever holiday in the old Ladbrokes camps in the mid 80s? IOW camps and Caister for example

Bionic Redcoat
25-09-07, 12:37 PM
In 1980 I worked at Pontins South Devon, in Paignton, just down the road from Ladbrokes Devon Coast Country Club. I sometimes used to go there on my night off. It was one of only two Ladbroke camps that were full board, the rest were self catering. It was very posh, guests even had to dress for dinner!

Last I heard it had been demolished, and is now a housing estate (now that's unusual!).

I have attached the cover from the 1980 entertainment programme.

Smileysal
25-09-07, 09:10 PM
Devon Coast was then taken over by Warner Holiday. Was the last year of it being a family centre in 1990, then in 1991 it was adult exclusive. Shearings took it over in 1993, and it was only open for a year then they closed it. Then place was bought for housing. Loved it working at Devon Coast. Things had changed a lot since it was an exclusive Country Club.

When it was a country club, there used to be fields opposite the camp on Smallcombe Road, with Riding stables that belonged to the camp. Sadly they'd gone years before. Houses are there now as well.

Shearings also bought Sussex Coast holiday village, Middleton-on-Sea, and that one only stayed open for a year under them as well. Another damm housing estate. grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Stayed at Caister centre when it was two separate centres. Both owned by Ladbrokes. As you're looking to the sea, the camp on the right was Silver Sands and the one onthe left was Caister. That was around 19 years ago, when there was a marching band competition.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Befo76
08-10-07, 01:57 PM
think i stayed there summer 87 and seem to remember it was set up the same. Also stayed at Nodes Point, Lower Hyde and Fort Warden on the IOW. Seems a long time ago now though ....

CurlyTherms
01-11-07, 01:46 PM
Went To Caister When It Was Ladbrokes Back In 1985 When They Used To Have The Lions Club Disabled Week There. It Was Only About ?84 Full Board.
It Was A Lot Different Then.
There Was A Ladbrokes Camp In Sussex At Middleton On Sea Which Was Part Destroyed By The 1987 Hurricane.

Roy S
02-11-07, 01:25 PM
Went to Caister in the early Eighties, my main memory was the entertainment - same every night, different derivatives of some twins band - can't remember their name.

glenjarnold
01-12-07, 05:52 PM
Went to Caister in the early Eighties, my main memory was the entertainment - same every night, different derivatives of some twins band - can't remember their name.

Yes it was the Lees Twins!! We started going there in 1981, right through till 1987. The first 3 years was my Parents, Grandparents, sister and my best mate. We used to take 2 cars , and stop near Kings Lynn on the Saturday morning (always spring bank week in May) at the Little Chef for breakfast. Me, Pete (my mate) and my sister used to then drive on ahead of the rest and get there quite a while before the others. And we always used to be a couple of hours too early to go in the chalet, so it was straight into Neptune's Palace for some beers! We used to love Neptune's of a night, and always end up drunkenly trying the rides at Fort Caister afterwards! Then in 1984, 85 and 86, we had 2 chalets, 160 and 161, I seem to remember, right opposite Neptune's on the corner! My family had one chalet, me and 3 or 4 mates would have the other. My mum always fiddled it somehow 'cos I'm sure there was a ban on all male or female parties in one chalet, and there was 4 or 5 of us lads in one! A great vantage point it was in those chalets for pulling birds too! I also remember the football games on the pitch somewhere in the middle of the camp. Very disorganised but great fun...there was always this bunch of lads (from London or Essex I think) nearly all Tottenham fans, who always came the same year as us and played in the football. And there were always 100's of Mods/Scooter lads in Yarmouth itself at Bank holiday in May. They were a great bunch, we used to drink in the pubs on the sea-front with them and they were no trouble at all. And one of my other greatest memories was in 1984. We'd just piled out of my car into 161, turned the Ghetto Blaster on in the chalet, and picked up Laser 558, just 2 days old, and one of the greatest radio stations EVER! Shame they were forced off the air!
PHEW!! I think that's it for now! Anyone else remember any of all this lot?:cool:

glenjarnold
01-12-07, 06:01 PM
Oh, by the way, we've booked up to go again next May (same Spring Bank week) after a gap of 20 years...many happy returns! A bit miffed though..when we booked it was as full board (buffet breakfast/dinner) Then yesterday we got a letter to say they don't do full board all of a sudden. We've now been offered ?10 voucher a day each to get food at one of the cafes on the camp, or a full refund, or transfer to a full board camp in Wales...I don't think so, and honestly, what is ?10 gonna get you for breakfast AND dinner at camp prices?? And all this after we've already paid up!

Richard Watt Camp Photographer
11-01-12, 07:29 PM
Anyone ever holiday in the old Ladbrokes camps in the mid 80s? IOW camps and Caister for example

Yes I was the 'camp' photographer, 1985, have found all my negs and have started a FB page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

Regards Richard Watt

11-01-12, 07:32 PM

The Brother's Lee ?,,, I was camp photographer in 1985 - check out this - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

regards Richard Watt

11-01-12, 07:34 PM
Went To Caister When It Was Ladbrokes Back In 1985 When They Used To Have The Lions Club Disabled Week There. It Was Only About ?84 Full Board.
There Was A Ladbrokes Camp In Sussex At Middleton On Sea Which Was Part Destroyed By The 1987 Hurricane.

I was camp photographer 1985,,, have a gander at this... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

regards Richard Watt

ps - I bet you never kept your key ring photos lol

11-01-12, 07:52 PM

Brothers Lee, Lenny Windsor, Dave Thomas, Graffit, Carl Brenti,,,, some pictures here -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

regards Richard Watt ( Camp phot 1985 )

11-01-12, 07:53 PM

Yes I was the 'camp' photographer, 1985, have found all my negs and have started a FB page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbro...46797472055080

Regards Richard Watt

12-01-12, 05:21 PM

Lions Club Week - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=246803758721118&set=a.246802875387873.57265.246797472055080&type=1&theater

Richard

sky blue kid
19-06-12, 01:05 PM
In 1980 I worked at Pontins South Devon, in Paignton, just down the road from Ladbrokes Devon Coast Country Club. I sometimes used to go there on my night off. It was one of only two Ladbroke camps that were full board, the rest were self catering. It was very posh, guests even had to dress for dinner!

Last I heard it had been demolished, and is now a housing estate (now that's unusual!).

I have attached the cover from the 1980 entertainment programme.

I used to be a Bluecoat at Carmarthen bay in 1982, so if anyone remembers me (Eddie) please get in touch to chat about memories. :biggrin:

vicday
19-10-12, 03:51 PM
The Brother's Lee ?,,, I was camp photographer in 1985 - check out this - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

regards Richard Watt

I worked at Caister as a Bluecoat for Ladbrokes in 1976 the staff used to live across the road to Caister Camp in the old camp which was the first site for Caister Camp ( itís a housing estate now) The bands in Neptuneís palace was Ivy Benson All Girls Band and a duo called Twice as Nice The compare was a man called Brian Day I went on to work for Ladbrokes for 9 years as a Bluecoat and Entertainments manager working at Seashore and Silver Sands then on to Cornwall at Perran Sands Holiday Village I had a great time in my youth and have some very fond memories working with some very good bands and entertainers and Bluecoats

Regards

Vic Day

wilmaflintstone143
07-01-13, 09:27 PM
I worked at Caister as a Bluecoat for Ladbrokes in 1976 the staff used to live across the road to Caister Camp in the old camp which was the first site for Caister Camp ( itís a housing estate now) The bands in Neptuneís palace was Ivy Benson All Girls Band and a duo called Twice as Nice The compare was a man called Brian Day I went on to work for Ladbrokes for 9 years as a Bluecoat and Entertainments manager working at Seashore and Silver Sands then on to Cornwall at Perran Sands Holiday Village I had a great time in my youth and have some very fond memories working with some very good bands and entertainers and Bluecoats

Regards

Vic Day
If I remember correctly Brian Day used to do a skitt call Rindercilla was sooo funny. I remember you Vic Day I was one of your Bluecoats at Perran Sands back in '81/'82. It was great. I loved my time at Perran Sands and we did have some great bands, Cobwebb Lace and Tarmegan respectively were in the Sands Showbar where you mostly compered and Ronnie Collins who I am in touch with btw. Can't quite remember the name of the bands that were in the Surfrider Club, although I do remember the people and if I recall Gus Roy and Pete Conway respectively compered in there. In '82 I also worked as a Bluecoat at Seaton, Devon for a month after Perran Sands season had ended. Have great memories!