PDA

View Full Version : ladbrokes holiday camps

rob n
19-02-08, 05:05 PM
:rolleyes:has anyone any information on ladbrokes holiday camps, i think they are haven and park resorts camps now.
does anyone have a list of ladbrokes camps.
drew a blank so far on net:confused:

basguy1968
19-02-08, 07:25 PM
Hi caister was a ladbrookes camp also suxxes beach holiday village.I kept a old brouchre of ladbrooks, hopefully i can find where ive put it and let you know some more of the old camps

basguy1968
19-02-08, 07:26 PM
should be sussex beach

Essex seasider
19-02-08, 08:52 PM
Hi, I remember going to a Ladbroke camp in seaton called "Blue waters" in 1979, it was next door to the Warners Seaton camp.
At some time in the 90`s Haven took over the Ladbroke camp and renamed it Lyme Bay holiday village. The warners camp was merged and it became one holiday park.
We were in Seaton last summer and the old Lyme Bay camp has become run down. The only part still in operation then seemed to be the old warners section.
The other Ladbroke camps that I knew were Caister and Seashore holiday parks in Great Yarmouth, they are both Haven now.

catgirl
19-02-08, 10:34 PM
should be sussex beach

Whereabouts was Sussex beach? I know there is a Sussex beach still in existence, it's near Chichester, in a place called Earnley.

basguy1968
20-02-08, 09:25 PM
As far as i remember the sussex beach camp im thinking of is in middleton on sea near bognor as far as i know it has been demolished

Smileysal
20-02-08, 10:23 PM
The one at Middleton-on-Sea was called Sussex Coast in its last years of life. The camp was first built at Southdean Holiday camp and hotel, and most of the roads just outside it, well, in front, and to the sides (two roads each side and one up the middle) the houses were part of the camp.

Was a private camp when it was first built, not sure who it belonged to then, and a few other had it. Then Ladbrokes, Warners after that, and for the last year, it was owned by Shearings Coaches. They only had it for a year and closed it. It's now a housing estate. :'(

Befo76
22-02-08, 05:50 PM
HAve very fond memories of LAdbrokes Holiday Camps, went to Fort Warden, Nodes Point, Casiter and Lower Hyde all in the mid-late 1980's. IF anyone has any recollections would be great to hear

CurlyTherms
05-03-08, 01:45 PM
i first went to caister when it belonged to ladbrokes. They used to have the lions holidays there for disabled people.

it used to cost us ?88 for a week full board because it was early in the season i think we used to go the week before bank holiday in May.
We went quite a few times, it changed to Warners then Haven. The chalets we used to have were down near the swimming pool but they are staff chalets. A lot of the chalets are now knocked down to make space for caravans. I think the one in chichester which suffered quite a lot of damage in the hurricane of 1987 close soon after. It is now a leisure complex i think.

NatTC
11-03-08, 11:26 AM
We used to take our touring caravan across to Nodes Point on the Isle of Wight every year. Had great times there when it was Ladbrookes in the Starcruiser Club and then good times again with Warners. I went back for a days visit when it was park resorts and it had really gone down hill, it was really sad to see.

Befo76
05-05-08, 05:09 PM
Blimey, the Starcruiser Clubthat really does take me back, think I went there at Nodes Point and Fort Warden, 1984/85. They were good times, it's a shame that these camps have really either gone completely or gone down hill. You cant find many pictures of them anywehere as they were back then

NatTC
26-05-08, 10:42 AM
Yeah that was about the times I was there when I was about 7 or 8, loved the Starcruiser Club with the comets and planets lol!

Befo76
30-05-08, 11:09 AM
Were probably there at the same time! Happy memories. I remember having my 8th birthday at Nodes Point in the summer of 84

keno051
01-06-08, 01:03 PM
Any connection to the bookies Ladbrokes?

sharpee
14-06-08, 01:04 AM
The one at Middleton-on-Sea was called Sussex Coast in its last years of life. The camp was first built at Southdean Holiday camp and hotel, and most of the roads just outside it, well, in front, and to the sides (two roads each side and one up the middle) the houses were part of the camp.

Was a private camp when it was first built, not sure who it belonged to then, and a few other had it. Then Ladbrokes, Warners after that, and for the last year, it was owned by Shearings Coaches. They only had it for a year and closed it. It's now a housing estate. :'(

yes, I thought Ladbrooks had it at one time. Lots of info & photos here: http://www.ukholidaycamps.co.uk

NatTC
09-07-08, 02:03 PM
Were probably there at the same time! Happy memories. I remember having my 8th birthday at Nodes Point in the summer of 84

Yeh remember having a few birthdays there too!!

What ever happened to Fort Warden? Remeber going to look at it but My Mum didnt like it as much as Nodes or Noddys as my Dad 'hilariously' used to call it!

CurlyTherms
10-07-08, 10:20 AM
the only ladbrokes holiday camp i have been to is Caister. we went to visit the one at Middleton while on holiday at Bognor the day after the hurricane 1987. we was not allowed to look around because of the buidlings collapsing.:p It looked very nice

Befo76
14-07-08, 07:09 PM
Fort Warden got knocked down for houses i believe

NatTC
20-07-08, 08:50 PM
What a surprise, just like so many of the others!!!!

the senor
09-09-08, 07:13 AM
Ladbroke holidays were the trend setters in modern holiday village holidays .Their managment team went on to run Mecca Leisure holidays ,then Haven holidaysand Park resorts (until it fell into the hands of some burger tossers)and they even have a foothold in the great Bourne Leisure.(not many left now though)
They had Holiday villages at Perran sands,Hale in Cornwall ,Carmarthen bay, Cayton bay(wallis's) Caister ,Silver sands, seashore, fortwarden,Lower hyde. Nodes point, ventnor, Blue waters Seaton(later Lyme Bay) Blue waters Weymouth(Chesil Beach) Seaview , Teignhaven ,Devon valley, Beesons (now Torquay holiday village) Sussex coast country club , Devon Coast country Club,Trawlane Manor and the Freedom inn Avimore. Starcruiser Clubs then Fun factorys . The best line up in entertainment for holiday parks (Butlins was always a bit special)
They used to have lots of fun .
Rank claim the difference between them and Ladbroke was that they would fix a leak and Ladbroke would ask what are you worried about its not even raining.
Ladbroke Holidays was sold to raise funs for the deposit of the Hilton Hotel chain, nice one Mr Jarvis.....What a way to go.

Robin Homden
20-09-09, 06:22 PM
My name is Robin Homden and I live at Fort Warden Heights which is the housing development built on top of the Fort Warden Holiday Camp.
To capture the history of the site I have created a website and would welcome any memories, photos and experiences you may have of the Fort Warden Holiday Camp.

The Website can be viewed at : The Web address for the Fort Warden Holiday Camp site has changed to : http://www.fortwardenheights.com/page12.htm

With best wishes,

Robin Homden. robinhomden1@aol.com

Curlyat50
28-11-10, 05:04 PM
Hiya Basguy you probably remember me as Sweetdenzy but yes Sussex Beach was demolished and it was badly damaged in the hurricane of 1987. Caister belonged to Ladbrokes in 1986 when I first went there. The Lions Club of Norfolk used to hold their disabled holidays there and it only cost £86 full board.

Pete j W
12-02-11, 09:51 AM
Hello everyone!

I worked at Ladbrokes camps in the early 80s, when I was young and daft!

I was at Seashore Great Yarmouth in 1982 (now Haven, I beleive), Carmarthen Bay in 1983 and did christmas/new year at Sussex Coast near Bognor in 82/83.

I was also at Warners Sinah Warren (Hayling Island) in 1981.

Those were the days! What a life.

Was anyone here at these places around this time?

basguy1968
13-02-11, 02:50 PM
Hiya Basguy you probably remember me as Sweetdenzy but yes Sussex Beach was demolished and it was badly damaged in the hurricane of 1987. Caister belonged to Ladbrokes in 1986 when I first went there. The Lions Club of Norfolk used to hold their disabled holidays there and it only cost £86 full board.

Hi yes i remember the name, i was at dovercourt 1988 to the closure in 1990, I worked as a cleaner in the ballroom some evenings collecting glasses in the ballroom at night as well, great times

Wagtail
15-11-11, 06:12 PM
We went to Ladbrokes Devon Valley in Teignmouth for a week in 1982. It was one of their smaller camps and was all self catering with a mixture of chalets and caravans. I have to say though that as a holiday camp it was pretty miserable! I know we went early in the season, but there weren't many people staying there at the time...the chalets all around ours were empty. That also meant that the ballroom was fairly empty in the evenings too - definitely no need to rush to get good seats at that camp! The evening entertainment wasn't up to much either and there was nothing at all going on during the day. Being used to staying out at least till "Goodnight Campers", we were disappointed to find ourselves going home fairly early at night and watching telly in our chalet! The location of the camp was good though.

Richard Watt Camp Photographer
11-01-12, 07:25 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladbrokes-Caister-Holiday-Camp-Photos-1985/246797472055080

Many of my camp photographer photos are on this FaceBook page - Richard Watt

sky blue kid
25-06-12, 03:15 PM
Hello everyone!

I worked at Ladbrokes camps in the early 80s, when I was young and daft!

I was at Seashore Great Yarmouth in 1982 (now Haven, I beleive), Carmarthen Bay in 1983 and did christmas/new year at Sussex Coast near Bognor in 82/83.

I was also at Warners Sinah Warren (Hayling Island) in 1981.

Those were the days! What a life.

Was anyone here at these places around this time?

Hiya Pete, I was a Bluecoat at Carmarthen Bay in 82. Tea Set were resident band in the Spotlight, and Leighton Jeff duo in the other room. I'm Eddie btw. lol.:wave:

brynn
13-07-12, 07:34 PM
hi ya i worked at perran sands during the late 70s later working at carmarthen bay in 1981as a blue coat my ents manager was David Lea i worked with other blue coat Karen Chritian and the resident band was Cobwebb lace oh and i nearly forgot maurice
those were the days lol i did a short spell at seaton sands in 1982 then went on to work at pwhelli in 1983 lighting for the production that year
:Banane25:

brynn
14-07-12, 08:44 PM
Hiya Pete, I was a Bluecoat at Carmarthen Bay in 82. Tea Set were resident band in the Spotlight, and Leighton Jeff duo in the other room. I'm Eddie btw. lol.:wave:

hi eddie you must have been at caistor for the begining of the year for training i was there in 1982 do you remember the accident in ballroom whith large bit of wood whilst doing the dragging race
:Banane42:

sky blue kid
17-07-12, 05:18 PM
I don't remember that Pete, but remember having to learn all the dance routines(Which nobody did at their respective camps lol.) I think the last night of training saw all the "Bluecoats" "Shmoozing" with the holiday makers. This was the start of the best 6 months of my life. About 10 of us went out of camp one night, and went in a pub that had a minah bird that swore like a trooper lol. Good times my friend...Good times :Banane44:

Sorry ,I meant to say Brynn not Pete. lol.

clivehere
18-07-12, 02:29 PM
I'm sure that I am probably completly wrong but has the logo for Ladbrokes ever been an eagle?

brynn
18-07-12, 10:23 PM
I don't remember that Pete, but remember having to learn all the dance routines(Which nobody did at their respective camps lol.) I think the last night of training saw all the "Bluecoats" "Shmoozing" with the holiday makers. This was the start of the best 6 months of my life. About 10 of us went out of camp one night, and went in a pub that had a minah bird that swore like a trooper lol. Good times my friend...Good times :Banane44:

Sorry ,I meant to say Brynn not Pete. lol.
was david lee your ents manager that year he was mine the previous year and his wife lucinder i do remember the pub night out and yes some of the best times lol wish someone wold sort out a get together of all the old blue coats oh wot storries we could tell
:popcorn:

brynn
18-07-12, 10:24 PM
I'm sure that I am probably completly wrong but has the logo for Ladbrokes ever been an eagle?

the kids club was the seagull club

sky blue kid
19-07-12, 11:03 AM
Harry Case(Wiggy) was my Ents manager. David and his wife Lucinda and son Oliver came back to visit Carmarthen Bay the year I was there and we became good friends. David went to manage a leisure complex in Bristol after that. David had a good cabaret spot too, with the Al Jolson routine.
I went on to become one half of an Illusion act and we toured all Butlins and Pontins etc....Did a lot of work at Pwllheli. We were called Special. f.x.
You're right, it would be good to catch up with old Bluecoats.:bananajump:

clivehere
23-07-12, 05:04 PM
the kids club was the seagull club

Seashore Haven Holiday Park in Great Yarmouth was once a Ladbrokes Holiday Centre and I just wondered as the pub next door to the site (now closed) has two eagle statues above the entrance. The pub is called "The Iron duke" and has been shut down for many years. Didn't know if it was anything to do with it. As Seashore was owned by Ladbrokes it had a Seagulls clubroom. I don't suppose if anyone whos been there knows which building it was? I heard there was a fire there.

vicday
19-10-12, 04:25 PM
hi eddie you must have been at caistor for the begining of the year for training i was there in 1982 do you remember the accident in ballroom whith large bit of wood whilst doing the dragging race
:Banane42:

Brynn I remember the accident it was when Jack Pound the man who booked all the entertainment for Ladbrokes was in charge we was in Neptune’s place and we was being dragged along on blankets in teams when a large piece of wood stuck into one of the lady entertainment managers I can’t remember her name but her husband was called Nick. I was working that year at Perran Sand as an entertainment manager and yes we did do the dance routines that we learnt that year but not to very high standard happy days

Vic

wilmaflintstone143
07-01-13, 09:09 PM
Brynn I remember the accident it was when Jack Pound the man who booked all the entertainment for Ladbrokes was in charge we was in Neptuneís place and we was being dragged along on blankets in teams when a large piece of wood stuck into one of the lady entertainment managers I canít remember her name but her husband was called Nick. I was working that year at Perran Sand as an entertainment manager and yes we did do the dance routines that we learnt that year but not to very high standard happy days

Vic

What do you mean us Bluecoats didn't do dance routines to a high standard.....we were bloody brilliant! Hot Lips! Remember me?
:Banane57:

wilmaflintstone143
07-01-13, 09:35 PM
Brynn I remember the accident it was when Jack Pound the man who booked all the entertainment for Ladbrokes was in charge we was in Neptuneís place and we was being dragged along on blankets in teams when a large piece of wood stuck into one of the lady entertainment managers I canít remember her name but her husband was called Nick. I was working that year at Perran Sand as an entertainment manager and yes we did do the dance routines that we learnt that year but not to very high standard happy days

Vic

Yes Nick was entertainments manager at Seaton in Devon. Can't remember his wife name but she was a right laugh, they both were, and I too remember the accident she had with the wood at Caister. I have some pictures of them both somewhere will dig them out and post them on here, maybe someone will remember her name. Lovely people to work for they were. Marilyn aka Hot Lips (don't ask):rofl:

Anita
29-06-13, 02:22 PM

Vic

Hi Vic, remember me, Anita, I was one of your Bluecoats,
Do you remember the surnames of Graham and Karl?

keith allett
05-06-14, 07:21 PM
Hi nice to here reports of Ladbrokes I have great memories of 1981 As it happens back here now as park warden down the road from caister site sad day watching neptunes being knocked down.Dave Thomas great ents manager did get bollocked for trying to call bingo with a puppet lol so serious about bingo.