Thread: 75 Year Anniversary at Clacton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    norbold Guest

Default 75 Year Anniversary at Clacton

Next year (2013) will be the 75th anniversary of the opening of the camp at Clacton. The Clacton & District Local History Society, of which I am chairman, is planning to hold an exhibition to commemorate this. One of our committee members is Colin Preen, who was the maintenance manager at Clacton in the 1980s.

There will be a display of photos and memorabilia and I will be giving a talk about the history of the Camp. We are hoping to use the West Cliff Theatre and the St James's Church Hall which is next door.

I do not have a date yet, because this depends on when our star guest can make it as we are hoping to have Roy Hudd along. The West Cliff is currently discussing with him a date for a show at the theatre, so we are hoping to have the event on the same day.

If anyone is interested in coming along please let me know - particularly any former workers/redcoats at the Clacton camp - and I'll keep you informed of the progress.

deelieta Guest

Hello Norbold,
    And welcome to Butlin's Memories.
    I would definitely be interested in coming along to this, and I am sure there will be others as well.
    There are some ex Clacton employees on this site and I am sure they will be interested as well.
    Please keep us informed.
    Dee

Leslie Melville Guest

Quote Originally Posted by norbold View Post
    Next year (2013) will be the 75th anniversary of the opening of the camp at Clacton. The Clacton & District Local History Society, of which I am chairman, is planning to hold an exhibition to commemorate this. One of our committee members is Colin Preen, who was the maintenance manager at Clacton in the 1980s.

There will be a display of photos and memorabilia and I will be giving a talk about the history of the Camp. We are hoping to use the West Cliff Theatre and the St James's Church Hall which is next door.

I do not have a date yet, because this depends on when our star guest can make it as we are hoping to have Roy Hudd along. The West Cliff is currently discussing with him a date for a show at the theatre, so we are hoping to have the event on the same day.

If anyone is interested in coming along please let me know - particularly any former workers/redcoats at the Clacton camp - and I'll keep you informed of the progress.
    I would like to be kept informed. I started my Butlin career at Clacton in 1960 and also worked there in 1963. More interestingly (for me!) was that I was there also in 1939 as a six year old with my family!

norbold Guest

Thank you both and to all those who have thanked my post. As and when I get more news I will certainly post it on here. At the moment we are still waiting for a date from Roy.

norbold Guest

It's looking like the date for our Butlin's Clacton 75th anniversary celebrations will be over the weekend on 5/6 October. Just waiting for definite confirmation from Roy.

The plan so far is to have an exhibition in St James's Hall, Clacton on Saturday 5 October during the day, then on Sunday 6th to have a smaller exhibition in the foyer of the West Cliff Theatre in the morning and show with Roy Hudd in the afternoon.

norbold Guest

The Butlin's Clacton 75th Anniversary weekend is now definitely on 5/6 October. Roy Hudd has confirmed he will be appearing in his own show at the West Cliff Theatre on the afternoon of 6 October. We will be arranging a weekend of celebrations around this event.

We would really love any former redcoats, members of staff, holidaymakers to come along. I will keep you informed as the arrangements progress.

trainman Guest

Hello Norbold. I have happy memories of holidaying at Butlins Clacton in 1964, 1965, 1967, 1969, 1971 and 1973. See www.lightstraw.co.uk/butlins Good luck with your event. The naming ceremony at the Martello Tower sounds interesting.

deelieta Guest

The Butlin's Clacton 75th Anniversary weekend is now definitely on 5/6 October. Roy Hudd has confirmed he will be appearing in his own show at the West Cliff Theatre on the afternoon of 6 October. We will be arranging a weekend of celebrations around this event.

We would really love any former redcoats, members of staff, holidaymakers to come along. I will keep you informed as the arrangements progress.
    This is such a shame as this clashes exactly with our very own FOREVER BUTLINS reunion in the Scarborough Grand Hotel (the ex Butlins hotel) organised by Rocky Mason. It is now well established in its 3rd year and many of the old Redcoats and campers on this site attend.
    Is there ANY way they can be combined??

mikeonions Guest

I would love to be present at this event but the dates make it impossible. My love affair with Butlins (as was) started at Clacton in 1958 when I was knocked out of the talent by John Comer (Sid, the cafe owner of Last of The Summer Wine). I met Roy Hudd that season. I returned as compere in 1971 and put a young Michael Barrymore in the Redcoat Show. I wish the event every success.

rocky mason Guest

Unhappy Reunions

Hi Norbold, I have just returned from a couple of weeks in Spain so have been unable to respond sooner. I wish you all the luck in the world as I am in great favour of reunions. The great shame is that I always arrange a Butlin reunion at the Scarborough Grand Hotel in October. This year it's the 4th to 7th and there is no way I can possibly change it as I have been plugging it since Christmas and 42 rooms have already been booked. What a great shame as you might say we are competing against one another. Freddie Davies, was with us for our unveiling last year and is coming again on the 4th. Like Roy he is a former Butlin redcoat. Such a damned pity as, after 30 years with the company, I love to see former employees attending reunions. However I do wish you and all the redcoats attending all the luck in the world. Sincerely Rocky.