Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Tots Breaks". What's the deal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pushbutton Guest

Default "Tots Breaks". What's the deal?

By now we've probably all heard that some genius has decided it would be, erm, good to send letters out to everyone who has booked a family holiday at Butlin's on certain dates in 2014 telling them that they can't go unless they have a child under 5, all entertainment on those dates will ONLY be suitable for kids under 5, and will finish by 9pm.

The official story is that Butlin's had so much "guest feedback" telling them to do this that they just had to do it, and so urgently that it didn't matter if they upset many of their loyal guests and ruined their holidays, which Butlin's admitted on facebook today that they know they have done!!!
    Hi Andy, thank you for your reply.
    I can fully understand and appreciate how frustrating and difficult this is for families. We still have family breaks available which are suitable for all ages, but felt we needed to cater more for some of our younger guests.
    Natasha.
    The official story makes no sense at all, because there has always been more than ample things to keep under 5s happy (they're not actually difficult to please), and from what I've seen of guest feedback, it's saying there's plenty for under 5s, but not enough for older kids and adults.

So what's your theory on what the REAL reason is for this "amazing" idea?

Mine is that they have had last minute problems securing entertainers for these dates, so all they can do is have their own staff dress up as characters and finish entertainments by 9pm.
    Last edited by Pushbutton; 22-12-13 at 08:45 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pushbutton For This Useful Post:

BuhSnarf Guest

Maybe it has to do with the charges for taking kids out of school? I know we used to have two term time breaks a year but this year due to charges and stigma of taking them out of school we've just gone for 1 schools out break.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Themeparksandy1981 Guest

I do agree with Butlins when I went to Butlins on the 4th to 8th Nov I was shocked to see so many kids who should have been in school. When u think the week before it was half term.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Themeparksandy1981 For This Useful Post:

Cruiser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pushbutton View Post
    By now we've probably all heard that some genius has decided it would be, erm, good to send letters out to everyone who has booked a family holiday at Butlin's on certain dates in 2014 telling them that they can't go unless they have a child under 5, all entertainment on those dates will ONLY be suitable for kids under 5, and will finish by 9pm.

The official story is that Butlin's had so much "guest feedback" telling them to do this that they just had to do it, and so urgently that it didn't matter if they upset many of their loyal guests and ruined their holidays, which Butlin's admitted on facebook today that they know they have done!!!

The official story makes no sense at all, because there has always been more than ample things to keep under 5s happy (they're not actually difficult to please), and from what I've seen of guest feedback, it's saying there's plenty for under 5s, but not enough for older kids and adults.

So what's your theory on what the REAL reason is for this "amazing" idea?

Mine is that they have had last minute problems securing entertainers for these dates, so all they can do is have their own staff dress up as characters and finish entertainments by 9pm.
    Hello,

Does anyone have a copy of this letter that they'd be willing to share?

The reason for asking is that we're booked to go to Minehead for 14 nights from 29th August 2014 & whilst our booking is still showing I note that the last 4 nights of our holiday are now designated as a 'Just for Tot's' break.

We have not received any notification from Butlins nor do we or will we have a child under 5 when we go.

I have contacted the Premier Host at Butlins for an update but in the meantime just wondered if anyone who had actually received a copy of this letter would be able to advise what exactly they are saying.

Many thanks.

levi Guest

I must admit this is the first I've heard of this,i don't have facebook though

Lisa Joanne Guest

they are saying that anyone who hasn't got children under 5 cant go on these breaks and I totally agree with Themeparkandy .. I also think its disgusting that there are children still being taken out during term time , as someone who works in the education system it does affect them when they go back , and now the government are cracking down as well its now a fine per parent per child .

quin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Joanne View Post
    I also think its disgusting that there are children still being taken out during term time , as someone who works in the education system it does affect them when they go back , and now the government are cracking down as well its now a fine per parent per child .
    Some families simply cannot afford to go away during school holiday times due to the overly inflated prices! as a child, my family went to Skegness every year during term time, this has never affected me when i went back as you say, and certainly never affected my education! Now 26 I am a qualified electrician and on-call fire-fighter. Family time such as this is equally as important as school and I find it "disgusting" that people are so single minded to not think outside the box of education education education when it comes to bringing up a child. It will be such a great shame if families lose out on their yearly break due to any sort government crackdown.

Back on topic, Butlins of today as everybody has said, lacks entertainment for the older kids/adults so whyyyyyy have they done this, what are the parents supposed to do they need the break too!

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to quin For This Useful Post:

Beerbutlin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Joanne View Post
    they are saying that anyone who hasn't got children under 5 cant go on these breaks and I totally agree with Themeparkandy .. I also think its disgusting that there are children still being taken out during term time , as someone who works in the education system it does affect them when they go back , and now the government are cracking down as well its now a fine per parent per child .
    I take my son out of school 1 week per year during term time because my job requires me to work at peak times including holidays and it don't effect my son. What about all the strikes during term time????? Really care about the kids then don't they! I'm discusted that teachers can do this, if I wanted to strike for one day, I would be looking for another job the next.

Themeparksandy1981 Guest

I can see Butlins closing on midweek breaks during term time in the future. 9pm is 2 early I usually don't get in Reds or Centre Stage to around 9pm after my little girl gone to bed and the kids entertainment has finished.

BuhSnarf Guest

Agree with Quin above. The price of a holiday in term time vs peak season is often 3x more expensive and it's hard to afford that. I used to take the kid for one week a year and it made no impact. I always used to go for a week a year and managed to survive getting a degree...

It's not fair to say that those that take them out of school are damaging them.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuhSnarf For This Useful Post: