Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 1st time going back for 5 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    090688luke Guest

    Default 1st time going back for 5 years

    Just booked 4 nights to Minehead for the end of September. Will be the first time back there for 5 years, fell out of love with the place for a long period due to a number of reasons including declining standards, repetative entertainment and ridiculous costs compared to going abroad.

    Decided to book Cornwall for 2 weeks, and was looking for a Premier Inn-type hotel to stay at in Somerset for a couple of nights on way back to break the journey up a little bit. Premier Inn's were coming up at around 60 a night, so did a quick 'just in case' look at Butlins.... 2 adults, 4 nights Mon-Fri in a silver room, 95. Couldn't really resist!

    Let's hope that 5 year's break from Butlins has recharged the Butlins batteries!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 090688luke For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    minehead forever Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 090688luke View Post
    Just booked 4 nights to Minehead for the end of September. Will be the first time back there for 5 years, fell out of love with the place for a long period due to a number of reasons including declining standards, repetative entertainment and ridiculous costs compared to going abroad.

    Decided to book Cornwall for 2 weeks, and was looking for a Premier Inn-type hotel to stay at in Somerset for a couple of nights on way back to break the journey up a little bit. Premier Inn's were coming up at around 60 a night, so did a quick 'just in case' look at Butlins.... 2 adults, 4 nights Mon-Fri in a silver room, 95. Couldn't really resist!

    Let's hope that 5 year's break from Butlins has recharged the Butlins batteries!
    I'm sure you will have a lovely time, but please dont expect much, repetition is bournes middle name, they now have singers who they roll out in different disguises over a break pretending to be different groups.

  4. #3
    ninnie of two Guest

    Default

    You will have a lovely time, go with your eyes open with what is there now.

  5. #4
    KAF2 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninnie of two View Post
    You will have a lovely time, go with your eyes open with what is there now.
    Which, as 2 adults on a mid-week, term-time break won't be much!

    Unless things have drastically changed:

    -An even smaller funfair with even more limited opening hours
    -Half day openings for the pool on two of the days, with the jacuzzi and slides closed for much of the time and the rapids roped off
    -Shows that you won't bother staying to watch, that have been on countless times before
    -Lots of new and overpriced things to spend your money on
    -No free wi-fi anymore (which you would have got at Premier Inn and virtually anywhere else)

    KAF
    Last edited by KAF2; 18-04-15 at 02:17 AM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAF2 For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    BuhSnarf Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KAF2 View Post
    Which, as 2 adults on a mid-week, term-time break won't be much!

    Unless things have drastically changed:

    -An even smaller funfair with even more limited opening hours
    -Half day openings for the pool on two of the days, with the jacuzzi and slides closed for much of the time and the rapids roped off
    -Shows that you won't bother staying to watch, that have been on countless times before
    -Lots of new and overpriced things to spend your money on
    -No free wi-fi anymore (which you would have got at Premier Inn and virtually anywhere else)

    KAF
    The fair is smaller - but still a great time to be had if you let yourself have fun!

    The shows I think are better in the past year than they have been for a long time - esp for the kids. Mine go on about them all year.

    WiFi is not free, but these days when everyone tends to have a decent data plan does it really matter? 5 years back when mobile data was expensive and patchy at best the WiFi was invaluable but nowadays I get hdspa down in Minehead and have a 2GB data limit so never both hooking it up to the WiFi - and if it's that desperate that you need to go online on your holiday then there's McDonald's over the road!

    Agree that pool being restricted on Monday / Friday is annoying if you're doing 7 day break like I do. We tend to use them days for a trip to Minehead to get a cream tea or visit to Dunster beach and then cram the camp in on the other days.

    I think you'll have a good time - like above - go with an open mind!

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuhSnarf For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    butlinsbrian Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KAF2 View Post
    Which, as 2 adults on a mid-week, term-time break won't be much!

    Unless things have drastically changed:

    -An even smaller funfair with even more limited opening hours
    -Half day openings for the pool on two of the days, with the jacuzzi and slides closed for much of the time and the rapids roped off
    -Shows that you won't bother staying to watch, that have been on countless times before
    -Lots of new and overpriced things to spend your money on
    -No free wi-fi anymore (which you would have got at Premier Inn and virtually anywhere else)

    KAF
    Yea My wife and i are going to butlins skeg this friday 24th april 2o15......Things are not what they used to be ..Hotshots is now ardley ver open and when it is it,s only open for an hour or so....the barstaff girls in there are very bitchy and always falling out with each other...Dj Never turns up......And the wi-fi....well it,s a disgracefull ripoff.....costs me and my wife 40 for week....what a blumin con.....i would,nt mind if it were 20 per booking for all folks going on same booking....but not 20 each....pure greedy ripoff....good ming to send to watchdog about it.....shows are getting worse....and price of drinks caw blimey....3.50 for pint of slops....and in hot shots they try an serve it to you in a blumin plastic pot not strong enough to hold it,s own weight..Blumin ripoff it,s getting to be....we used to love butlins skegg but it really is going down pan,,management are getting really stroppy...And has for loyalty bonus scheem, I am a gold premier member. which means i get 50 In vouchers......nowadays you practically have to beg for them before they hand them over....never been a loyalty bonus scheem.....they begrudge giving them to you......the last time we went ..we had to go to enquierys 4 times before getting our full loyalty bonusus.....And my wife is disabled and i have enlarged heart....we felt we had well and truly erned our bonus booklets by time we got them.....i think the staff are trying it on so they can keep them , themselves....it looks that way .....yes i here you say why are you going so often if it is so bad....well the answere is, is the accomodation is always very good....and if you look for bargains it i very reasonable priced too....but reasone we go to butlins skegg is because though entertainment and ale/larger are crap onsite...truth is is that entertainment just outside camp is very good....plus bingo and karaoka....we go to three pubs just outside gates and have a reall good time....and good cheap drinks too with a loyalty card that knocks another 10% off cost off drinks and food too....so we still keep going to butlins skegg even though it is going down tubes and is a ripoff for general prices of drinks and wi-fi.......so now you bingo players, if you want cheap good drinks and bingo....try the lookout pub, beackcomber, and boat house,

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to butlinsbrian For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    levi Guest

    Default

    ignore the haters you'll have a good time if its your first visit in 5 years

    the entertainment this year has improved dramatically in my opinion,the panto is superb

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levi For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Invictus Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butlinsbrian View Post
    Yea My wife and i are going to butlins skeg this friday 24th april 2o15......Things are not what they used to be ..Hotshots is now ardley ver open and when it is it,s only open for an hour or so....the barstaff girls in there are very bitchy and always falling out with each other...Dj Never turns up......And the wi-fi....well it,s a disgracefull ripoff.....costs me and my wife 40 for week....what a blumin con.....i would,nt mind if it were 20 per booking for all folks going on same booking....but not 20 each....pure greedy ripoff....good ming to send to watchdog about it.....shows are getting worse....and price of drinks caw blimey....3.50 for pint of slops....and in hot shots they try an serve it to you in a blumin plastic pot not strong enough to hold it,s own weight..Blumin ripoff it,s getting to be....we used to love butlins skegg but it really is going down pan,,management are getting really stroppy...And has for loyalty bonus scheem, I am a gold premier member. which means i get 50 In vouchers......nowadays you practically have to beg for them before they hand them over....never been a loyalty bonus scheem.....they begrudge giving them to you......the last time we went ..we had to go to enquierys 4 times before getting our full loyalty bonusus.....And my wife is disabled and i have enlarged heart....we felt we had well and truly erned our bonus booklets by time we got them.....i think the staff are trying it on so they can keep them , themselves....it looks that way .....yes i here you say why are you going so often if it is so bad....well the answere is, is the accomodation is always very good....and if you look for bargains it i very reasonable priced too....but reasone we go to butlins skegg is because though entertainment and ale/larger are crap onsite...truth is is that entertainment just outside camp is very good....plus bingo and karaoka....we go to three pubs just outside gates and have a reall good time....and good cheap drinks too with a loyalty card that knocks another 10% off cost off drinks and food too....so we still keep going to butlins skegg even though it is going down tubes and is a ripoff for general prices of drinks and wi-fi.......so now you bingo players, if you want cheap good drinks and bingo....try the lookout pub, beackcomber, and boat house,
    Billy Butlin must be turning in his grave. They went in and tore the place to pieces. Putting up white clinical industrial type buildings. Ruining the whole front that used to look beautiful. Put up big tents enclosing everything. Charge high prices,and not everything is for free any more. They tore down the monorails and chair lifts. Filled in the outdoor swimming pools and turned them into car parks. Removed all the colour,and lighting from the front. Tore the guts out of the place. It's like having a holiday in an industrial estate, come shopping centre,with ordinary looking housing that most people live in anyway. It's not like a holiday resort anymore, plus sky high prices. It was like a wonderland before. Now it's plain and ordinary like any place you would find inland.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Invictus For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •