Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redcoats bored of the job

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    barryislandfan Guest

Default Redcoats bored of the job

When I was at Minehead a few weeks ago I overheard 2 redcoats talking outside Centre Stage. One of them was obviously thinking about not re-newing her contract for next season and the other was trying to persuade her today. She was saying that even though she had to sing and dance in the audition she hadnt really used any of it and was frustrated, the other one was saying she should give it more time etc.

Anyway a the next night I got a chance to talk to this redcoat when she sat by us, she was saying she probably wouldnt be back next year and said that she loved the job but it wasnt what she thought it would be. She said that there were a few Redcoats at Minehead who were leaving after just 1 or 2 seasons.

Now modern redcoats get a whole load of stick on here, but as I have said before its not entirely their fault that the redcoat job is now the way it is. They go to auditions and have to do so much to get the job, yet when they get there all they do is kids club and party dances, or even worse stand by the stage and clap while the acts are on. They all seem to play secon fiddle to the Cast.

Years ago the Redcoats did so much more, organised games, coached sports, sang, danced, did comedy routines. They dont do that now, thats not the redcoats decision but Butlins. Its no wonder so many of them look bored and fed up, they seem to get the job thinking they will be able to show off some talent and get involved more and they end up being glorified babysitters. It wasnt always like this, years ago the Redcoat had the most important job on the camp.

I still like modern Butlins but they demise of the role of the Redcoat is something Bourne should look at. They do have some hardworking redcoats on their team, at Minehead for example Redcoat Abi seems to do everyrthing and is just like an old school redcoat, but they arent used enough.

All the people on here who knock the redcoats (i have in the past) for not being like they were should prehaps turn their anger towards management and not the reds. Oh and I will also say that far from all wanting to be TV stars (like the few redcoats on that ITV series) most of them just want to entertain and give people a good time on their holidays, just like redcoats have always done.

OK im prepared for a guest to come on and have a go at me now

skegred Guest

Well written article Dan,l can understand their frustration at not being able to perform their dancing and singing talents as they've rehearsed so hard for with long hours of rehearsals,could have done with those Redcoats in the Hi-De-Hi days when they were expected to do it,heres hoping they still get their chance to perform

Joker Guest

Today?s Redcoats have to take the job as a stepping stone to other things, it's not as if you can have a career as a Red today as they are put out to pasture at the age of 20.

What is the age of the oldest working Red at the moment ?

And in your day Skegred, Rainbow ? (or was it not the done thing to ask in them days)

Going back to the old ways we might get Redcoats with more dedication to the job.

My two bobs worth

Have Fun !!!

J-UK

barryislandfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joker
    Today?s Redcoats have to take the job as a stepping stone to other things, it's not as if you can have a career as a Red today as they are put out to pasture at the age of 20.

What is the age of the oldest working Red at the moment ?

And in your day Skegred, Rainbow ? (or was it not the done thing to ask in them days)

Going back to the old ways we might get Redcoats with more dedication to the job.

My two bobs worth

Have Fun !!!

J-UK
    At Minehead last time they did a meet the redcoats thing and the oldest was 22, although one of the senior redcoats admitted to being "just over 30". As a whole though they are all late teens. I've said this before but even 30, 40 years ago there were a fair amount of Redcoats who were using the job as a stepping stone to a further career in entertainement, Billy Butlin acknowledges this in his autobiography (the things Des O Conner did to get noticed ). I think its a shame there arent more older Redcoats, I can remember seeing Redcoats in their 40's and 50's at Barry Island.

I think a lot of the Redcoats of today are dedicated to the job they do, but Joker I fully agree a return to the old Redcoat duties would give them a job to be truly proud of and they might take more pride in what they do.

barryislandfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skegred
    Well written article Dan,l can understand their frustration at not being able to perform their dancing and singing talents as they've rehearsed so hard for with long hours of rehearsals,could have done with those Redcoats in the Hi-De-Hi days when they were expected to do it,heres hoping they still get their chance to perform
    Thanks Andy. i think one problem now is that all the in-house shows are done by the cast. Becoming a cast member is promotion from being a Redcoat. Its funny not so long ago being a Red was the most important job, now you can be in cast, get paid more and not have to deal with the kids!!

butlinsgirly Guest

as i work at butlins, i no that the redcoats job is hard but so is everyone elses job. the other day me and a redcoat was talking and he was talking, and we both agreed that the problem with butlins is that there is far too much faviourist (sorry i dont know how to spell it). if you and a manager get on then they will ask you if you want to be kepted on. its not about how hard you work its about who you know, and its a shame on all the hard working people when they dont get noticed.

barryislandfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by butlinsgirly
    as i work at butlins, i no that the redcoats job is hard but so is everyone elses job. the other day me and a redcoat was talking and he was talking, and we both agreed that the problem with butlins is that there is far too much faviourist (sorry i dont know how to spell it). if you and a manager get on then they will ask you if you want to be kepted on. its not about how hard you work its about who you know, and its a shame on all the hard working people when they dont get noticed.
    Thats sadly true in most walks of life im affraid. Its not what you know but who you know. There are to be honset a fair few people I wouldnt want to see back at Butlin's when I go next year, and I dont just mean redcoats. There are still some great redcoats and of course other members of staff who are good too. Especially 2 bar men in Centre Stage who after a few trips to the bar remembered my round all week and chatted to me & my girlfriend when they were off duty in Jaks!

bonusthief Guest

I think its about time a venue was set aside for the redcoats to show their talents, who can remember CJ and Shaun when they ran the Crazy Horse in Minehead ? . It was brilliant, every night was different unscripted chaos, but we loved it.
    We all know of at least one venue at Minehead waiting to be used.
    What about it BUTLINS ?

Domestiques Guest

it can be boring, really boring, not just doing the same job week in, week out but also the looks that people give you when you say hello. Or the routine, venue at night, dancing with kids and party dances etc. But I loved it and was grateful for the chance.

gaietybarryboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bonusthief
    I think its about time a venue was set aside for the redcoats to show their talents
    Oh, yes I remember one of them, I think it was called:

Reds - Home of the Redcoats