Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butlins Investment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pumpkin Guest

Default Butlins Investment

Hi

Not posted for a while .

I just found this on e-tid a leisure news website.

Web page: (you will need to regisiter)
    http://www.e-tid.com/pma/21948

Bourne earmarks another ?19m for Butlins
    28 Jun 2004

Bourne Leisure is to invest ?19m in its Butlins brand this year, including the construction of a new ?10m hotel in Bognor Regis. In an interview with the Sunday Times, Bourne director John Dunford says the company wants to dispel the public perception of Butlins as being old-fashioned and aimed squarely at families.

But he admits Butlins was not the main attraction for Bourne when it paid ?700m for leisure group Rank's holiday portfolio nearly four years ago; it was more interested in Haven's holiday parks.

'Originally, in our business plan, we had Butlins down for sale,' Dunford tells the Times. 'A lot of money had been spent, the profits were going south and there was no confidence that it was a business capable of recovery.' However, after visiting Butlins' sites: 'Our enthusiasm developed. We started to think about what we could do with it.'

Rank had already invested an average of ?10m a year between 1987 and 1997 refurbishing the three Butlins sites at Bognor, Minehead and the original in Skegness. And in 1997, then Rank chief executive Andrew Teare decided to spend a further ?139m installing indoor entertainment areas at each site and building 1,000 new chalets during a two-year development programme.

But the investment did not pay off and Butlins was recording losses of ?2m. Teare left Rank and was replaced by Mike Smith, who switched the group's focus to concentrate on its gaming and Hard Rock Caf? divisions, selling off its holiday interests to Bourne in October 2000 <http://www.e-tid.com/pma/13415>.

Since then, Bourne has spent ?30m developing Butlins. Accommodation has been upgraded, with the addition of 100 new 'Gold' rooms at each site, fitted with widescreen televisions and DVD players. And in July Butlins Skegness will open a spa centre with a nail bar, treatment rooms and a tanning salon, while Bognor has been fitted with a recording studio for guests to record themselves singing with a live band.

Bourne has also done away with Butlins' families only strategy. Families are now encouraged to visit during the peak season from May to October, while the remainder of the year Butlins runs 'entertainment breaks', adults-only weekends with themes such as the 1980s.

Bourne's strategy appears to be paying off, with Butlins' turnover increasing from ?95.6m in 2000 to ?127.3m last year, while earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation have doubled from ?9m to ?18.5m. The rate-per-person achieved has risen from ?86 to ?104.30 and per guest spend from ?70 to ?98.

Jintygirl Guest

...and there's me thinking that Bourne are just scraping by......

Proves what Sharky was saying about the Entertainment Breaks though!

pumpkin Guest

I was reading that Pontins had only spend ?10m over the past four year.

I can not see Pontins lasting alot long.

Butlins has a good future.

Jintygirl Guest

OH! Funnily enough, today's the first day I've posted on the Pontin's bit of this for a long time. (Sorry about all these posts from me, btw, I'm trying to catch up!!!) I'd hate to think of Pontin's folding just because they've spent less. Yes, Butlin's does have a healthy future, by the looks of it. But I'd still give my eye teeth to travel back 40 years!

Sharky Guest

What a superb post by pumkin. Just about as informative as you can get. After my last few visits to the various Butlins sites my impression of Bourne is that they seem to be trying very hard and are getting things just about right.
    I like what i see at Butlins and will continue to post to this effect as long as they continue in this forward thinking and doing mode.

Cheers

Sharky

billybusdriver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    What a superb post by pumkin. Just about as informative as you can get. After my last few visits to the various Butlins sites my impression of Bourne is that they seem to be trying very hard and are getting things just about right.
    I like what i see at Butlins and will continue to post to this effect as long as they continue in this forward thinking and doing mode.

Cheers

Sharky
    Oh no did someone mention the Bourne word , will war be declared again. No seriously I have started to take notice of what I have seen other people write, they say they are doing the best for Butlins and thats fine with me. I will say however that they should try and be more open with people, when you e-mail or write to them, they seldom ever reply.

barryislandfan Guest

Billy, do you email or write to Bourne direct? If you have a Butlins enquiry its much better to write to Butlins direct at Bognor Regis they have a pretty quick reply rate and are usually really friendly and informative. I wrote to Bourne Leisure direct and it was past on to Minehead anyway lol.

I think Butlins is in the best shape it has been in for years, so as long as they continue to invest Bourne are OK by me.

billybusdriver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by barryislandfan
    Billy, do you email or write to Bourne direct? If you have a Butlins enquiry its much better to write to Butlins direct at Bognor Regis they have a pretty quick reply rate and are usually really friendly and informative. I wrote to Bourne Leisure direct and it was past on to Minehead anyway lol.

I think Butlins is in the best shape it has been in for years, so as long as they continue to invest Bourne are OK by me.
    HERE HERE. My enquiry with them was over the old Filey camp (the part they were in negotiations to buy),as I was acting om behalf of the RAF museum at Millom. They wanted the old beach gates from the camp, as during WW2 they were RAF HUNAMBY MANOR main gates, and they thought it a shame they go to scrap, esp with the double wammy of them being both RAF property & put there by Sir Billy Butlin. To this day they never got back to me, even to tell me to SOD OFF. The rumour has it that they have bought another strip of the old camp, and they now own the piece where the beach gates are?.

barryislandfan Guest

Hmmm not sure why you got no reply at all. Maybe if you wrote to Haven at Primrose Valley they might be quicker to reply (if you havent already of course).

With them buying up al this land it looks like Primrose Valley is going to be massive. Lots more caravans I expect

bonusthief Guest

I read with disbelief the statement Bourne encourage families to take ther holidays May to September, and this is why

My annual leave from work has always been the 2nd Saturday in July for 2 weeks, so for the past 12 years its been off to Minehead for a 2 week break.
    I have always tried to book on resort to get the best price, so this year when i visited the holiday shop and found that the 1st child goes free on all breaks starting 15th July 2005 out came the credit card.
    Please can I book starting 8th July for 2 weeks including the offer of the 1st child goes free says I,after a few taps of the keyboard the young lady says

'NO' Sorry but you can not book for 2 weeks.

Whys that then

Because the weekend starting 15th July is ADULTS ONLY

What about the advertised offer says I

Sorry but thats wrong and you can not bring children that weekend

Bring the manager says I

Now then says i its about this offer that doesn't seem to exist

Thats right head office have changed it

Well i suggest you speak to head office and tell them that bonusthief, one of your loyalty members is not happy and is going to report them to West sommerset trading standards

Long silence as manager goes away and calls HQ

HQ says you can have all discounts you are entitled to but you can not stay on camp that weekend

So there you are Bourne the family Holiday resort that bans children in peak school holidays

PS Merry Xmas to all our readers