Thread: Redcoats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Skegness chick Guest

Default Redcoats

Redcoats are what make Butlins, Butlins. It wouldn't be butlins if there was no redcoats.

when i go to butlins that redcoats are what make my holiday for all the times i have been to butlins all the redcoats i have met there where really great there has been a few that were rubbish and boring.

What do you think of the redcoats? post your thoughts here.

Luv Kimberley

wizebuys1 Guest

hi all
    we went to bognor in may 1998 for my daughters 9th birthday , she had a crush on a redcoat called kevin, that night in broadway she was presented with a spice girls birthday cake by redcoat kevin along with redcoats gemma & mark , she stood on a chair and was really embarrassed when redcoat kevin gave her a kiss on the cheek, that was also the week my son then 6 was on stage with the wizzycrew & pulled wizards trousers down in front of the whole audience, hi wizzycrew (paul,rickeylee,shelly & tanya) if your out there thanks for a great holiday

Captain Peacock Guest

Default Redcoats

Yes the Redcoats are the face of Butlins... they are in most peoples eye's Butlins! You say to anyone that you worked there and the first question is 'were you a Redcoat?'.

As a teenager at Skeggy the Redcoats were what it was all about... (well apart from a couple of barmaids... Anne and Julie - Princes Bar 1983 I think!!) and that's your memories as a kid.

But having now worked for Butlins as well - Minehead 91-97 - I can appreciate the rest of the staff. As a kid you want fun and enjoyment which the Redcoats give. As a parent you want other things.... firstly if the kids are happy then you're happy, but similarly you're not going to take your family back to anywhere that's dirty, poor service, bad food etc....

So credit also goes to all the accommodation staff, cleaners, bar staff, catering staff, admin staff, shop staff, maintenacne staff... (sorry if I've forgotten anyone) who all make Bultins what it is.

Quite rightly, Butlins wouldn't be Butlins without the Redcoats, they are the ones to entertain you and you remember them for that.

But Butlins wouldn't have any guests without the the rest of the staff who do very important but often unsung jobs.

wizebuys1 Guest

hi all
    yep lets here it for the other staff including Customer Services (Captain Peacock) HIP HIP HOORAY HIP HIP HOORAY HIP HIP HOORAY

Captain Peacock Guest

Thanks Wisebuys...

Sorry moved off the thread of Redcoats a bit.

Wish i was still working there

elaine wattam Guest

Default skegness butlins

I,ll second that, skegness butlins is and always has been the ultimate best, no other camp could beat it, no other compared to it. When I holidayed there throughout the seventies and early eighties, the redcoats were truly amazing, they gave everything to make the holiday a dream come true, todays maybe good but yesterdays will take some beating, skegness forever and many memories besides, may Sir Billy Butlins first and foremost camp stand the test of time.

minehead forever Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elaine wattam View Post
    I,ll second that, skegness butlins is and always has been the ultimate best, no other camp could beat it, no other compared to it. When I holidayed there throughout the seventies and early eighties, the redcoats were truly amazing, they gave everything to make the holiday a dream come true, todays maybe good but yesterdays will take some beating, skegness forever and many memories besides, may Sir Billy Butlins first and foremost camp stand the test of time.
    wizedy might become you best friend on here lol, sadly i have to disagree on the camp,but we all think our childhood camp is the best.

Pushbutton Guest

In the 80s I thought Skegness and Minehead were pretty much equally good. However since much of the free fun has now disappeared from both I prioritise nostalgia and for that reason I like Minehead much more than Skegness nowadays simply because Minehead is still largely as I remember it as a child.

Skegness has sadly changed too much for my liking, but I am glad you still enjoy it.
    Last edited by Pushbutton; 10-10-12 at 11:45 AM.

skegred Guest

Elaine you and Wizedly arent wrong, Skegness is still the best
    The First ,The Original,copied by many

Andy Skegred King

elaine wattam Guest

oh no, I don,t go to skegnes butlins anymore, I took a dislike to it when they changed things. But overall, the facts, and haunts of this being the first built, and the memories of holidaying there, are mainly my main focal points. skegnes was where Sir billy butlin made it all happen, but then sadly things change supposedly for the better. Minehead probably is one of the better facilitated camps, skegness however seems to have fallen into decline just like Ingoldmells - which is the actual location of butlins, ingoldmells is now sadly a cheap and very dirty greasy hellhole really, the beautiful countryside that once was, has now been taken over by beer swilling pot bellied pigs and their vans so to speak, and numerous sweaty eateries.