Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warners Dovercourt Bay.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Butlins_Remembered Guest

Default Warners Dovercourt Bay.

I always remember this warners holiday camp, I went in 1987 when i was the young age of 14, It was only a small camp but it had every thing you needed, I remember it had a disco place for the under 16s a small games room and a main ballroom, plus on the side of the building it had 2 tv rooms (one for BBC and the other For ITV). And in reception it had pics of the HI-DI-HI cast from the program made by the BBC, HI-DI-HI was made there and it was great to see the camp when the program was on.

Sadly the camp was Demolised in the Late 80s

johnot Guest

Was an okay holiday there but not as good as Butlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SweetDenzy Guest

Default True, true

No other camp could match up to Butlins, I went to Dovercourt in 1982, nice chalet near the BMX track. Smashing food, loved the machine you got the milk from and the layers of toast at breakfast time. BUt no free amusement park like Butlins. NOt much to do either, no roller skating, outdoor swimming pool was freezing.

warren Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetDenzy View Post
    No other camp could match up to Butlins, I went to Dovercourt in 1982, nice chalet near the BMX track. Smashing food, loved the machine you got the milk from and the layers of toast at breakfast time. BUt no free amusement park like Butlins. NOt much to do either, no roller skating, outdoor swimming pool was freezing.
    Yeah, but you're missing the point. The reason Dovercourt was so great was that it was small. By the end of the week you knew everyone and it had a great atmosphere. At Butlins, you made friends with someone and you were lucky if you saw them again before the end of the week. At Warner's, if you joined the kids clubs, there was also something going on.

basguy Guest

Default Dovercourt holiday camp

i worked at this camp just before it closed back in 1990.I did 3 seasons.
    it was hard work but i enjoyed it . still keep in touch with friends from the camp. its sad it is no longer there

johnot Guest

Hi basguy do you live in dovercourt? My mum worked there for at least 2 seasons and a guy named Mike Newman did too! I haven't been to Harwich for about 10 years now has it changed much!! Obviously the camp was knocked down when I last went

johnot Guest

hi basguy, I don't know how you send e-mails seperately. So first thanks for the reply. My Mum worked there after '84 I think. Her name was Sylv I think she worked in domestics or catering. Mike or Michael was a painter who worked there all the time on maintenance. I am not quite sure how many seasons she worked, but she did enjoy the work there (most of the time.)

Smileysal Guest

Hiya,

We went there during the last season in 1990. They were still taking bookings for the 1991 season, but Warners decided to close it (again - another one bites the dust!) because it had building rights on it. They also sold Devon Coast (in Paignton) 93/94 and Sussex Coast (middleton on sea, sussex) 93/94 to Shearings who only had the place 1 year, run them into the ground and sold them too, again cos they had building rights on em.

Sal

basguy1968 Guest

Lovley camp it still holds many happy memoires for me, I cant belive its 16 years this year since the camp closed

tonyoz777 Guest

stayed there several times during mid - late 70's on our annual hols. i remember one of the green coats was known as "stevie" and used to go round making out he was a bit simple - pulling faces and talking funny. his sidekick straight man used to belt him one and everyone would feel sorry for him - then on about the wednesday night, the all star cabaret - he would reveal all and sing norman wisdoms "dont laugh at me cos im a fool" and be normal for the rest of the week !!

there was also a fishing pool at the bottom of the camp - i remember thats why we first went there so my grandad could fish - we always went to warners but it had been seaton and hayling island before that

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyoz777 For This Useful Post: