Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Blueskies weekend 22nd-25th jan 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Back from Blueskies weekend 22nd-25th jan 2010

Just back from an amazing weekend in blueskies at butlins in minehead even though the resort was not open to guests it was a great opportunity to visit and find out what kind of things are on offer for the 2010 season obviously one of the main questions that was raised was that of the whereabouts of crackerjacks well i am afraid to say crackerjacks is no more the building has been completely demolished and the area from the hire centre right over to the fruit mine outdoor play area is completely fenced off and it is also fenced off around the driving school and the sun and moon down the bottom end all of the surrounding fences from the sun and moon play area and the adventure golf and also the driving school have all been removed and are in the process of being replaced. The sun and moon beer garden is in the process of being extended with a new patio area being built onto the right hand side. The gold accomodation situated in plantation key are having some apartments upgraded to house 4 bedroom accomodation which will also have 3 shower rooms and also i was quite surprised to see that the londis supermarket in the boardwalk has now been rebranded as Spar. Centre stage is also in the process of undergoing a second phase of refurbishments there was aload of stuff being chucked out into 2 big skips which were outside the fire exits by blueskies.

Im sure you will agree butlins minehead are definatly spending alot of money in making sure the resort is as good as it can be if i can put some pics on here to show the changes i will try my best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Thanks for the update, sounds like there's plenty going on! Interesting to hear that Londis has been rebranded again so soon after changing it's name from Everydays!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

I'll say the same as discokev but yes, I'm amazed they've changed the name of the supermarket again already.

Did you check out the other everydays store at the back of the camp? Is that one still everydays with the good old Butlins B logo? I hope so.

What was it like being there when it's not officially open? I mean was the skyline totally locked up? Was there ANY attractions open at all (like the pubs or amusements arcades or shops, anything?)

I can't wait to see your photos so please put them up as soon as you can.
    So what've you got?
    You've got the Push Button Click. YEAH!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Well according to the can we help thread, (post #50) the supermarkets at Skegness were branded as Spar back in the late 80s / early 90s, so I suppose if that is the case then maybe we're just going back to how things were then!

Some of them must have been Everydays though, as the Butlins B in the Everydays logo has to have been put there when that B was still part of the Butlins logo. Maybe Everydays was only introduced in the late 1990s? Having said that I'm certain I remember it from the mid 1980s.

As a side note, it could potentially lead to some interesting misunderstandings with them now having a Spar and a Spa!
    Last edited by Pushbutton; 26-01-10 at 12:32 AM.
    So what've you got?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope the skyline was unlocked and everything else was shut and stuff it was very eerie walking through the skyline it just felt like it had been abandoned the other everydays down the back of the camp is still everydays as it was before and judging by the fact its quite an old shop i dont see this changing anytime soon i will try and put the pics up whenever i can but first of all need to work out how to do it lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsy45 View Post
    Nope the skyline was unlocked and everything else was shut and stuff it was very eerie walking through the skyline it just felt like it had been abandoned the other everydays down the back of the camp is still everydays as it was before and judging by the fact its quite an old shop i dont see this changing anytime soon i will try and put the pics up whenever i can but first of all need to work out how to do it lol
    It might help to look at the instructions section for help with uploading photos.
    So what've you got?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please find attached a couple pics from the weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry about the last picture on there it doesnt seem to have uploaded properly i will have a look at it tomorrow that is not all the pics but i considered them to be the most important ones

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Cool

Wow! VERY VERY interesting photos, (even though they're a little bit shocking too!). Thanks!

I'm struggling a bit to fully comprehend exactly where some of them were taken, but I'll get there.

The Supermarket looks very bland and generic to me as Spar, even compared to the relatively bright Londis sign that was briefly up. However I realise the bland look might be partly because it's closed and the boardwalk is probably not fully lit, so I'll reserve judgement until I see it open. I don't mind the Spar brand so I should be ok with it, but really I liked it as Everydays because that's something unique to Butlins, whereas you can go to a Spar anywhere outside of Butlins. I think I might be using the other Everydays more often from now on, even if it does mean walking all the way to the other side of the camp. It's good exercise and at least I get to see my old beloved Butlins Bs!

I don't recognise that kids play area with the two green slides next to Splash, so that must be new I think. If so is it replacing one of the other similar kids play forts, or is this now a third one in addition to the other two? How many of these do we need?

There's a lot of new paths going in all around that part of the camp between Splash and Reception by the look of it.

I notice the old shopping arcade ('old town') entrance has been blocked off by some sort of wall that looks like it will be a backdrop to the new Sun & Moon patio area in front of it. That's another bit of history even more covered up if that's going to remain.

They're certainly making a hell of a mess of our lovely camp at the moment! On the positive side I'm looking forward to seeing how it all looks when finished.

Thanks again for the photos and if you've got any more I for one would certainly be interested in seeing them.
    Last edited by Pushbutton; 26-01-10 at 06:59 AM.
    So what've you got?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

In photo 240, have you any idea what they're doing there? What are all those tall wooden poles for?
    So what've you got?