Thread: Memories of Warners Woodside Bay Isle of Wight 1966

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Memories of Warners Woodside Bay Isle of Wight 1966

I was a member of staff there in 1966. Behind the snack bar in the ballroom. I was well known for giving out large ice creams from the machine! I remember working with Pam, Irene and shared a chalet with them. Then there was Ann and Carol, they were all from Liverpool,except Carol was from Birmingham. I was Lyn and was only 18 at the time. But it was 5 months of great memories and especially the walk to the Lakeside Inn at Wootton for the scrumpy!
    One of the greencoats was curly, bald of course. I hope there are some people out there who have memories of that year. I would love to here from anyone who has. I have photos I could dig out.:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Woodside and St Clare

Lady Linda,
    Delighted to read your notes on Woodside. I was brought in as the Entertainment's Manager in 1975 following their adverse write up in the News of the World. I remember Curly of course. It was a very large ballroom with a glass end over looking the solent. We used to see the QEII coming in like a floating city. I came back for the summer of 1976 and then did Christmas and summer 1977 at St Clare. I then went off to the USA doing my shows.
    But they were always such memorable times in our lives and I still treasure so many photos taken during those years. It was sad to see Woodside as a derilect site when I visited it some years ago. Apparently it caught fire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Woodside Bay

Hi Terry,
    Delighted to get a response from someone who was at Woodside! Yes happy memories and you say Curly was still there when you were, I thought he was old when I was there!( Mind you at 18, you think everyone over 30 is old) When you said you were the entertainments manager I immediately thought of Jeffrey Fairbrother and Hi De Hi! Sorry!
    I do know whether the Lakeside Inn had the same staff when you were there, but there was a middle age man there who was an absolute character with a really strong Hampshire accent!
    Happy Days.
    Is there any chance off line you could scan any of your photos of the ballroom etc? As all I have are photos of staff members.
    Lyn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Lady Linda

Hi Lady Linda,
    My name is Bernard and I worked for the whole season at Woodside Bay during 1968. I worked as an assistant to the one and only butcher in the kitchen, Tony. He was a crazy Cockney guy who eventually got the sack for his antics and subsequently I was promoted in his place to that of head butcher!. So many laughs during the season - like the time two very pretty and innocent looking blonde Swedish waitresses stole all the kitchen staff shoes (these were always left outside the staff chalets as they really hummed at the end of the day!) They dumped all the shoes in the swimming pool so we had to work in flip-flops. It was several weeks before they were found out and for revenge they were well and truly ducked in the pool themselves. People I remember working there that year were waitresses Sheila, Karen, Fran; chalet baby patrol girl Irene and her boyfriend Andy (who worked on the dish washing machine), and Gabe, an Islander who was one of the cleaners. It was a great season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Bernard,
    Thanks for sharing your memories of Woodside.

You mention Tony being in the kitchen, I am sure he was there in 66 when I was there.

Yes, when you served behind the snack bar , you also worked in the burger bar downstairs and in the kitchen dishing up the campers dinners!! And if you wanted to make a bit extra money you would fit in baby patrol as well!

I remember a cockney guy with fair hair called Tony being in charge of us dishing up.

About four people had an item to plonk on the plate at the same time, with go being instructed to us each time we did it, and if you had been drinking the night before not everything made it to the plate! Happy Days.
    Lyn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Warners Woodside Bay

Hi Lyn,
    Nice to get a reply from you. You mentioned the serving ritual at the pass in the kitchen, with four different people loading each plate. Well towards the end of the season after my stint as butcher finished, I was put on the serving hatches. It was a pretty boring job so at my pass we decided, just for fun ,to do a 'bonus' plate every so often. This meant putting literally double portions of everything on to just one of the waitress's six plates and because of the speed she had to deliver the food, she couldn't very well object. After a while this lost its appeal and so we went the other way and did a 'paupers' ration on one plate ie. one potato, three peas, half a slice of beef etc. We got some hilarious feedback from waitresses as they served this up at the tables.
    Bernard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TerryCalver View Post
    Lady Linda,
    Delighted to read your notes on Woodside. I was brought in as the Entertainment's Manager in 1975 following their adverse write up in the News of the World. I remember Curly of course. It was a very large ballroom with a glass end over looking the solent. We used to see the QEII coming in like a floating city. I came back for the summer of 1976 and then did Christmas and summer 1977 at St Clare. I then went off to the USA doing my shows.
    But they were always such memorable times in our lives and I still treasure so many photos taken during those years. It was sad to see Woodside as a derilect site when I visited it some years ago. Apparently it caught fire.
    I had one of my best family holidays ever at Woodside Bay in the late summer of 1976!! I think we were actually there for the last week before it closed for the season. I had such a good time that week and have so many happy memories - I even remember that our chalet was G21 - not bad considering I was 9 at the time and I'm now going on 45!! I seem to remember that one of the resident bands was an Irish family, mother, father and two kids - one of their favourite songs seemed to be "If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour", if ever I hear that song now I'm taken straight back to that week at Woodside Bay. I also remember that the dining room was cafeteria style, so you helped yourself to whatever you wanted rather than being served by a waiter or waitress, which suited me just fine as I remember one day having mashed potato and chips for lunch (the healthy option)...I was a bit of a fussy eater back then!

But what mainly sticks in my mind was the atmosphere of the place and the great entertainment - TerryCalver, it's nice to think you had something to do with that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Warners IOW

Please can you tell me if you knew anyone working at holiday camp during 1979 by the name of Barry Turner/Thompson thank you xxx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rlhare View Post
    Please can you tell me if you knew anyone working at holiday camp during 1979 by the name of Barry Turner/Thompson thank you xxx
    i worked at Woodside and became good friends with Barry.