Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMS royal arthur skegness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default HMS royal arthur skegness

Hi all
    I know skeggy camp was HMS royal arthur during the war, ad some of the other camps were built for the war, then taken over at the end. I notice the memoral at skeggy and that the suite behind green blaze is called royal arthur suite, but what about the chalets near there called royal arthur gold apartments, have they ever been used for accomdation, becuase i can only ever remember seeing they being used for cleaners etc and store rooms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Why are there no memorials at Pwllheli and Ayr? Both were bases during the war - Pwllheli, HMS Glendower and Ayr, HMS Scotia.

What makes Skegness so special and who installed the memorial? I don't think it is maintained by Butlins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Skegness memorial?

Your comments on a war meorial at Skegness are a mistery to me. I was entertainment manager of Skegness 1965 to 1970 and there was no memorial
    in those days. Nor was I aware of any HMS Royal Arthur accommodation. Anything of that nature must have come in later years I am sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Memorial at Skegness

Hi There, I have now been told by Andy, (Skegness Red) that the war memorial and the Royal Arthur chalets came after my time there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjchallis View Post
    Hi all
    I know skeggy camp was HMS royal arthur during the war, ad some of the other camps were built for the war, then taken over at the end. I notice the memoral at skeggy and that the suite behind green blaze is called royal arthur suite, but what about the chalets near there called royal arthur gold apartments, have they ever been used for accomdation, becuase i can only ever remember seeing they being used for cleaners etc and store rooms
    I have never really noticed these Royal Arthur gold apartments, are they old chalets?
    Are they the same as the standard h/b chalets in Pacific Wharf or are they older than the ones in use?
    I think I may know the chalets that you mean but I never knew they were called that & they haven't been in use for many years.
    Will certainly be having a good nosey in April.
    R.I.P Uncle Andy....King of Redcoats <3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sammye99 View Post
    I have never really noticed these Royal Arthur gold apartments, are they old chalets?
    Are they the same as the standard h/b chalets in Pacific Wharf or are they older than the ones in use?
    I think I may know the chalets that you mean but I never knew they were called that & they haven't been in use for many years.
    Will certainly be having a good nosey in April.
    Im sure i noticed them, if im right i think they are near the spa...Maybe we can investigate together in April, as i am actually ashamed to say i have never seen the Original Chalet either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi there are 3 royal arthur apartments but only 2 as accomodation other is used as housekeepers office , They are gold disabled adapted apartments with kitchen they have their own parking space and a hedged garden goes all the way around , they are directly opposite the spar pool window x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

thanks geordies, for details on the chalets, the memoral is new ish, been their since 2001, wasn't there in 80s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by the geordies View Post
    Hi there are 3 royal arthur apartments but only 2 as accomodation other is used as housekeepers office , They are gold disabled adapted apartments with kitchen they have their own parking space and a hedged garden goes all the way around , they are directly opposite the spar pool window x
    No them well. I can also confirm two are in use. Accomodation I stay in is next door.
    It looks there will be some guided tours needed in April.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have photographs of the memorial which i took last summer, but for some reason i cant upload them on here, think the file size may be to big