Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: HMS royal arthur skegness

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    219
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default HMS royal arthur skegness

    Hi all
    I know skeggy camp was HMS royal arthur during the war, ad some of the other camps were built for the war, then taken over at the end. I notice the memoral at skeggy and that the suite behind green blaze is called royal arthur suite, but what about the chalets near there called royal arthur gold apartments, have they ever been used for accomdation, becuase i can only ever remember seeing they being used for cleaners etc and store rooms

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chirk, Wrexham
    Posts
    235
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Why are there no memorials at Pwllheli and Ayr? Both were bases during the war - Pwllheli, HMS Glendower and Ayr, HMS Scotia.

    What makes Skegness so special and who installed the memorial? I don't think it is maintained by Butlins.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default Skegness memorial?

    Your comments on a war meorial at Skegness are a mistery to me. I was entertainment manager of Skegness 1965 to 1970 and there was no memorial
    in those days. Nor was I aware of any HMS Royal Arthur accommodation. Anything of that nature must have come in later years I am sure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default Memorial at Skegness

    Hi There, I have now been told by Andy, (Skegness Red) that the war memorial and the Royal Arthur chalets came after my time there!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tamworth, Staffs
    Posts
    1,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjchallis View Post
    Hi all
    I know skeggy camp was HMS royal arthur during the war, ad some of the other camps were built for the war, then taken over at the end. I notice the memoral at skeggy and that the suite behind green blaze is called royal arthur suite, but what about the chalets near there called royal arthur gold apartments, have they ever been used for accomdation, becuase i can only ever remember seeing they being used for cleaners etc and store rooms
    I have never really noticed these Royal Arthur gold apartments, are they old chalets?
    Are they the same as the standard h/b chalets in Pacific Wharf or are they older than the ones in use?
    I think I may know the chalets that you mean but I never knew they were called that & they haven't been in use for many years.
    Will certainly be having a good nosey in April.
    R.I.P Uncle Andy....King of Redcoats <3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenock, west of scotland
    Posts
    908
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammye99 View Post
    I have never really noticed these Royal Arthur gold apartments, are they old chalets?
    Are they the same as the standard h/b chalets in Pacific Wharf or are they older than the ones in use?
    I think I may know the chalets that you mean but I never knew they were called that & they haven't been in use for many years.
    Will certainly be having a good nosey in April.
    Im sure i noticed them, if im right i think they are near the spa...Maybe we can investigate together in April, as i am actually ashamed to say i have never seen the Original Chalet either

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Hi there are 3 royal arthur apartments but only 2 as accomodation other is used as housekeepers office , They are gold disabled adapted apartments with kitchen they have their own parking space and a hedged garden goes all the way around , they are directly opposite the spar pool window x

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    219
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    thanks geordies, for details on the chalets, the memoral is new ish, been their since 2001, wasn't there in 80s

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    2,757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    63
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by the geordies View Post
    Hi there are 3 royal arthur apartments but only 2 as accomodation other is used as housekeepers office , They are gold disabled adapted apartments with kitchen they have their own parking space and a hedged garden goes all the way around , they are directly opposite the spar pool window x
    No them well. I can also confirm two are in use. Accomodation I stay in is next door.
    It looks there will be some guided tours needed in April.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greenock, west of scotland
    Posts
    908
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I have photographs of the memorial which i took last summer, but for some reason i cant upload them on here, think the file size may be to big

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •