Thread: Pontins predictions 2014!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

Default Pontins predictions 2014!

Pontins got lucky and had a bumper year this year with an unexpectedly good summer. However, even at the bargain prices people were paying for these holidays, there were lots of grumbles and dissatisfaction.

It took Butlins a good 8 years of bargain holiday prices and continual refurbishment to get into the position it is in today - being able to charge a fortune and full to capacity for most of the year.

What’s the bet that Pontins, based on last year’s success, will massively bump up the holiday prices in 2014 and not spend any of this year’s profits on sorting out any of the problems... and then be completely surprised that the camps are all empty again! Even though they have got the advantage of being able to copy ‘how Butlins did it!” right in front of their eyes.

KAF
    Last edited by KAF2; 11-12-13 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Well they certainly seem to be trying to copy a lot of what Butlin's did about 15 years ago. Unfortunately that includes some of the big mistakes Butlin's made! I'm not convinced that they really understand how to run this type of business.

I'd like to be proven wrong on this because I want to see them succeed, but sadly I think your predictions are probably pretty much accurate. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Pushbutton; 12-12-13 at 09:40 AM.
    So what've you got?
    You've got the Push Button Click. YEAH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

I know a few who go Pontins, moan about numerous things yet still go back every year.

And the reason they go back?

Because it's so cheap! - 69 in February half term for 3 nights for a chalet.
    All opinions expressed above are my own personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure, or Butlins Memories.com.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keno051 For This Useful Post:

leightonhatter (14-01-14), Scritti (14-01-14)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They're opening a new resort! Bet ya didn't see that one coming

http://www.pontins.com/holiday-parks...-holiday-park/

I say opening...more RE-opening, but best of luck to them with it. There will always be a place for cheap getaways - and yes, the grumbles are part and parcel of that, Keno051 is spot on - people complain but they always go back, nobody can match it for price, and having been many times myself, it's not as bad as people make out - it's never going to be the Hilton.

V.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vertex For This Useful Post:

keno051 (23-01-14), leightonhatter (20-01-14), Scritti (17-01-14)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vertex View Post
    They're opening a new resort! Bet ya didn't see that one coming

http://www.pontins.com/holiday-parks...-holiday-park/

I say opening...more RE-opening, but best of luck to them with it. There will always be a place for cheap getaways - and yes, the grumbles are part and parcel of that, Keno051 is spot on - people complain but they always go back, nobody can match it for price, and having been many times myself, it's not as bad as people make out - it's never going to be the Hilton.

V.
    Well that is very much in-line with what I have seen of Britannia's hotel business, expansion by acquisition of going concerns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

That is excellent news - only now I will have to try to choose between Brean and Sand Bay! Great to see Pontins expanding again and taking on an ex-site. If only Butlins would do the same.

Shame that Pontins Hemsby isn't in slightly better shape - they might have taken that back on again too. It is starting to look a bit derelict now and before long it will be beyond saving (which seems to be the intention).

Finally, so far this year's Pontins prices don't seem to have gone up *that much* either! So maybe they will be sensible and keep their niche in the marketplace as a budget UK holiday.

KAF

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAF2 For This Useful Post:

Pushbutton (18-01-14), Scritti (17-01-14)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KAF2 View Post
    Shame that Pontins Hemsby isn't in slightly better shape - they might have taken that back on again too. It is starting to look a bit derelict now and before long it will be beyond saving (which seems to be the intention).
    Well there were rumours of both sites being eyed-up, the Sand Bay rumour was obviously true so it's anyones guess - though I agree Hemsby is looking a little worse for wear these days unfortunately, as much as I'd love to see it re-opened.

V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Prices still unbeliavably low. No change 3 years on..
    All opinions expressed above are my own personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure, or Butlins Memories.com.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to keno051 For This Useful Post:

deelieta (21-03-17)