Thread: The Future of Butlins Memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Default The Future of Butlins Memories

Hi all

Having been responsible for Butlins Memories since 2007, and being proud that I've taught myself some basic web code, enabling me to expand the content on the site, I'm now struggling to find any time to look after the site.

I'm therefore now on the lookout for someone to take over responsibility for the website.

I appreciate that the whole website is a lot to take on, so am happy to split the workload between a number of people, with each person having responsibility for one or several sections of the site (such as for certain Butlins camp pages, Pontins or Warners pages, the forum, etc).

If you are interested in taking over responsibility for all or part of the site, please either send an email to contact@butlins-memories.com, or send me a private message on here, letting me know which parts of the site you would be interested in taking over, and why you feel that you'd be a good choice to take Butlins Memories forward.

If anyone has any queries, please let me know.

Thanks

Kev
    Please note that any views or opinions expressed above are my own personal ones and not necessarily those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure or Butlins-Memories.com

See you all at Butlins soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kev - no no no. You can't leave the site!! You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

You don't need to worry Karl. I think it's ok for me to announce now that I have taken over the reigns from Kev and am now your ADMIN.
    I have been a moderator for about 10 years and so I already have a very good understanding of how things work.
    My intention is to give the whole site a much needed revamp in the up-coming months, and to generally start the interest in the forum again.

All's well.

Dee
    You'll have a really wonderful time...
    At Butlin's by the sea!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    Everything expressed by me in my posts represents my own personal views and are not necessarily the opinions of Butlins, Bourne Leisure, or Butlins Memories.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deelieta For This Useful Post:

chris-b (03-06-17), david lythgoe (05-06-17), Glosguy (02-06-17), Scritti (03-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like it is in safe hands looking forward to seeing it revitalized!! If you need any help let me know, I'm a software developer of 15 years and a huge Butlin's fan

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:

deelieta (04-06-17), Scritti (03-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Deelieta, that is fantastic news.

Watching this forum slowly die over the past few years has been heartbreaking.

I've not found any Facebook group that remotely compares with this site when it was in it's prime.

I remember I used to look forward to lunchtimes at work when I would read all the new threads and posts and sometimes barely had time to read everything. It was like being transported back to my childhood at times. Although there are some nice photos on the FB groups, there's a Twitter-like level of conversation between people. Not a patch on many of the lengthy posts that were made on here. There were sometimes daily updates from people actually on holiday at the camps with loads of photos too which were brilliant. I never thought that would soon end just as I never would have predicted that Classic Butlin's would become the thing that it's become today.

When even the memories turn into memories (if you get my drift), that just sucks beyond belief. I really hope this forum will one day be even a fraction what it once was as it was my favourite site on the internet. Facebook is great in many ways but you can't beat a good forum.

And this wasn't a good forum, it was an absolutely magnificent one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scritti For This Useful Post:

deelieta (04-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Best news I've heard all year ! Big thanks to Deelieta & also to Kev for his time & effort he put into running things.
    Good luck with everything, Deelieta, hope it all goes well

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris-b For This Useful Post:

deelieta (04-06-17), Scritti (09-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scritti View Post
    Deelieta, that is fantastic news.

Watching this forum slowly die over the past few years has been heartbreaking.

I've not found any Facebook group that remotely compares with this site when it was in it's prime.

I remember I used to look forward to lunchtimes at work when I would read all the new threads and posts and sometimes barely had time to read everything. It was like being transported back to my childhood at times. Although there are some nice photos on the FB groups, there's a Twitter-like level of conversation between people. Not a patch on many of the lengthy posts that were made on here. There were sometimes daily updates from people actually on holiday at the camps with loads of photos too which were brilliant. I never thought that would soon end just as I never would have predicted that Classic Butlin's would become the thing that it's become today.

When even the memories turn into memories (if you get my drift), that just sucks beyond belief. I really hope this forum will one day be even a fraction what it once was as it was my favourite site on the internet. Facebook is great in many ways but you can't beat a good forum.

And this wasn't a good forum, it was an absolutely magnificent one.
    Thanks Scritti,
    I know exactly what you mean. I, too, used to really cherish my time every evening sitting down at my computer to spend the whole evening on BM! I didn't even use to have a tv back then. It was so exciting to read other people's memories - which tallied up with mine. And also just so exciting to piece bits of information together when there were gaps in my memory.
    I honestly think it all started going down hill when the site was updated and this new 'What's New?' page appeared. I think a lot of the older folk didn't understand where the old forum was, and it just seemed more difficult to navigate. Let alone the fact that we lost the SHOUT BOX, and the Arcade Games at the same time! It has never been the same since.
    I really do agree about facebook too - things get lost so easily. THe great thing about this forum is the SEARCH function, which easily brings up old threads.

I will do my best to get a revamped version back asap.
    In the meantime, I think I'll start some threads to generate some interest again.
    At Butlin's by the sea!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    Everything expressed by me in my posts represents my own personal views and are not necessarily the opinions of Butlins, Bourne Leisure, or Butlins Memories.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deelieta For This Useful Post:

david lythgoe (05-06-17), Scritti (09-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Thanks Deelieta! It was great to see your name again and really brought it all back about how this site once was.

Pushbutton's FB site is okay but I do wish he'd come back here and bring some of his unending enthusiasm with him

I think I might start posting some links to this site on the FB groups and see if that doesn't get a few readers and posters back where they belong.

Forever Butlin's and Celebrate Butlin's are the main two I visit. The updates on those groups aren't as prolific as they once were either so either some people just aren't writing about old Butlin's as much anymore or perhaps there are other groups I'm unaware of that I should be visiting.

Any thoughts on any other Butlin's FB groups I could join (and covertly spread the word about BM)?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scritti For This Useful Post:

deelieta (20-06-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Hi Scritti,
    The two main FB groups are the ones you mentioned already. I have a group which is more for preserving Butlins History (search for 'Preserve Butlins History'). But like you say, nothing compares to this amazing site. I really hope we can get the magic back here very soon.
    At Butlin's by the sea!

Disclaimer: