Thread: No standard rooms for 2018 in Minehead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Default No standard rooms for 2018 in Minehead

I was looking a prices for 2018 in Minehead and I noticed that I did not see any Standard rooms available.

Has anybody heard anything on this?

The hotel was proposed on the site of the standard chalets, but they still haven't made a planning application.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marke For This Useful Post:

minehead forever (29-03-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

october half term this year is the last time you can book standard rooms, make your own conclusions, but demolition has been rumoured for a few years now, will do some digging.
    Butlins RIP

4. The Following User Says Thank You to minehead forever For This Useful Post:

Marke (29-03-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Just to add, from a source on camp it looks like the rumour is red camp will be demolished this autumn.
    Last edited by minehead forever; 29-03-17 at 06:20 PM.
    Butlins RIP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to minehead forever For This Useful Post:

Marke (29-03-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Funny enough I was at Minehead last September for a mid week break and noticed all the levels being taken at the time all around surfers point. I know nothing about surveying but do know that they were using the same equipment that was being used when my neighbours Had surveyors round, as they were trying to knockdown their unoccupied house and put several new houses on there. When I spoke to someone in the booking shop on a break I had 3 months earlier I asked about the hotel as the development model in the booking shop still shows a hotel, they told me it had been put on the back burner as they still regularly sell out of standard rooms and would be silly to get rid of them. I don't think they were telling me the truth somehow. However I am back in Minehead in June so will have a poke around and see if i can find out more!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beerbutlin For This Useful Post:

Marke (29-03-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

I really, really hope this doesn't happen. Red Camp has so many memories for me.
    You'll have a really wonderful time...
    At Butlin's by the sea!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    Everything expressed by me in my posts represents my own personal views and are not necessarily the opinions of Butlins, Bourne Leisure, or Butlins Memories.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't want to give false hope, but I've just got back today from a week at Minehead and they've put new signeage up on the Surfers Point chalets (with the lettering in red - nice touch) in the same style as they did to Pacific Wharf and have started doing to Holnicote. Last year they still had the 1999 signs on, and plenty of other accommodation still does now.

Obviously signeage isn't investment on the scale to mean they've been saved, but it would seem odd to do anything to them at all this year if they're being demolished in 6 months.

All this accommodation is still heavily in use too and is every time I go there. It would seem a very odd move to get rid of accomodation which still sells and serves a purpose. This is very different to the other half of red camp 'Sunset Wharf' chalets which had been progressively falling out of use for decades (remember that block that still had the original asbestos roof and chalets unchanged from 1962 spec? When was that last used for accomodation? Couldn't have been any more recently than very early 80's if not the mid 70's).

I think Red Camp is causing a bit of a conundrum for them. As the chalets closest to original spec it's something they feel they ought to get rid of, yet people keep on booking them so it keeps on getting saved for another year or two.

Incidentally, they had surveyors on site taking readings all over the site, they were also looking at the 'angled' half of Holnicote and all of the two storey Atlantic Bay and Ocean Point units too. They may just be checking the condition of the older buildings or finding out what their options are should they want to demolish and redevelop in the future.