Thread: When did the queuing start???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Default When did the queuing start???

When I went to Butlin's as a kid (late 70s to early 90s) there was never a queue for the theatres apart from a handful of people who would turn up 10 minutes before.
    When I returned as an adult with my own family in 2000 there wasn't any queues and there was no problems getting a seat in centre stage.

Now I remember centre stage got busy over the next 5 years to the point it became standing room only, but when did people queuing for hours before the doors opened?

It seems to me there is a generation of Butlin's holiday makers that have become preconditioned to queue. However, this is surely preventing growth as a lot of new visitors will be put off by having too queue for hours to get a seat, especially when summer breaks are so expensive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marke For This Useful Post:

Scritti (19-07-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

The Skybar and B-line passes are an extra revenue stream generated by queuing. At Pontins all entertainment venues are always open, like Butlins used to be, so no queues there (although it does get crowded sometimes). Butlins has got much busier over the years, especially with the expansion of caravans. Sometimes alternative venues (Reds/ Centre stage/Jaks/Crazy Horse) are closed, forcing everybody into one venue. Beachcomber was demolished at Minehead. Huge tiered seating venues like The Gaiety Theatre are long gone. These days there isn't usually an alternative for people to go to, certainly not for free. I am sure I have read that Bourne Leisure have finally recognised that this is a problem and that huge tiered seating venues like the old Gaiety Theatre are in the pipeline. Certainly I woudn't be happy in queues like that for some of the prices you pay to holiday there, not that there is usually anything on I want to watch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KAF2 For This Useful Post:

Scritti (19-07-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I remember my parents saying people queued early at dinning halls and also the Gaiety, in fact if you stood still for 30 seconds there would be a queue of people stand behind you. Like KAF I used to just arrive on the Gaiety a few minutes before the show started and always got a seat.
    I would love the Gaiety to come back, but think about it Bourne would lose money as they want everyone in Reds etc spending money drinks rather than sit and watch a show like we did in the 1970's

Paul

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to golfhappy8 For This Useful Post:

Marke (04-08-17), Scritti (05-08-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

Yes, thinking about it, people did queue outside the dining rooms. There was zero point and we never did - the doors opened at a set time and you had your allocated seats at the table. Much better to get there at the time when the multiple sets of doors opened and the redcoats welcomed you in.

We didn't really go for the shows in the past, so there may have been queues. There were always plenty of seats in the Empire or Gaiety for the films - but I do remember a huge queue for Star Wars at Butlins in 1982 and people standing in the aisles because there were not enough seats - but that was the one exception!

Quite often the venues were open around the clock between film showings etc. You could just wander in at any time, which again reduced the need to queue.

There was often a queue to get out of the film promptly when it finished, to miss the national anthem.

KAF

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAF2 For This Useful Post:

Marke (04-08-17), Scritti (05-08-17)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by golfhappy8 View Post
    ...but think about it Bourne would lose money as they want everyone in Reds etc spending money drinks rather than sit and watch a show like we did in the 1970's
    Indeed Gala-style seating encourages people to buy more drink. If you charge for the show itself, as in a normal theatre, then it pays to get more people to buy tickets and that means more compact seating, but if the show is free and revenue is from drink sales then fewer, drinking customers are better than more who just watch.

I think much depends on to what extent you are a connoisseur of entertainment and to what extent you value a good seat. I dislike queuing and I'd rather spend the time doing something else. After all, whatever break you're on is for a finite time and night time entertainment is but one part of it. We've always found something worth watching without having to queue for hours, though very occasionally a very popular show in centre stage has meant standing room only.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve F For This Useful Post:

Scritti (20-08-17)