Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Filey 2003 is there anything at all left?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Filey 2003 is there anything at all left?

Anyone got any recent pics of the hallowed land of filey, is there anything at all too see or is it true that it is totaly flat and cleared of memories? i would love to go visit, if only to say i have walked on what was the best Butlins site ever!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have no idea sorry
    Love Kerry xxx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default Filey is there anything left.

Hello. I saw this old forum and decided to give a reply, if not just to breath some life back into it.

I often drive holiday makers from Cumbria to Primrose Valley, and have done this for many years now. Filey holds many fond memories for me, and I have watched this camp go through painful change from a working camp to a heap of rubble. Its like watching a close friend die from cancer, and Filey was a close friend. My last visit was three months ago, and I found nothing apart from a small section of indoor pool, the rest has all gone. The site is just fields, with hills, and trees, which were once at the end of the chalet rows (at least something lives on). It was 05.55 on a lovels summers morning when I walked through the huge site, the size of the empty fields make you wonder how they removed and hid all those buildings & roads. I was so moved by the experience, everytime I closed my eyes I could see the site in its glory, and I kid you not I imagined all the old smells, do-nuts, hotdogs, fresh paint & roses. I found an old piece of cutlery, proberbly the last artifact to come from the camp (marked Butlins). I was left with a strong feeling that I was walking upon sacred ground ,almost holy, and I felt privaliged to be there, in the early morning quiet. If like me you all believe in an after life, then I hope we get to spend some of it in Filey 1970s style, and get to walk again in the best Butlins ever, maybe walk with Sir Billy.

I have not as yet decided if I should ever return to my site of memories, as I suppose the experience I had that morning is unlikely to ever happen again, and if it cannot get better then call it a day.

GOD BLESS YOU SIR BILLY. You have many fiends down here who will never let people forget the happiness you gave all.
    Lets Keep The Memories ALIVE

Anonymous Guest

Default filey

Here is a pic from Filey taken last month. Hope this works as i've never posted before.

Anonymous Guest

Sorry try again.[img][/img]

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, will give up for now. Can anyone tell me how you attatch an image!!!

Anonymous Guest

Default Filey.

I have to agree with billybusdriver, it was wrong to let the camp rot away. They should have landscaped the whole area as soon as Amtree park failed, as it was obvious that the site was past its best. They owed that much to the holiday makers who loved the place. Amtree park was a bold attempt, but as a visitor to the place when it opened I was not immpressed by the decor, black & red is so gothic, it made the whole camp look un-inviting.

They pulled the place down, but not in our hearts they did'nt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default whats left

I visited the site a couple of months ago, and on whats left of amtree park, there as others have said aint much left.
    But, the old station is there, just takes some finding if youve never been before, and if you park on primrose valley camp, above the cliffs, you walk towards the old butlins and find the security fence, there are some concret buildings just below on like a sun terrace or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mark For This Useful Post:

barnsleylad (17-12-13)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default Re: whats left

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I visited the site a couple of months ago, and on whats left of amtree park, there as others have said aint much left.
    But, the old station is there, just takes some finding if youve never been before, and if you park on primrose valley camp, above the cliffs, you walk towards the old butlins and find the security fence, there are some concret buildings just below on like a sun terrace or something.
    The buildings below the cliffs I am told were there prior to Filey camp itself. The road from the camp to the beach had a large set of metal gates, are they still there. They were the original policed main gates from WW2 when the Filey camp was an RAF base, RAF HUNAMBY MOOR. I tried to get them saved and donated to the Millom RAF museum, but no one at the old site was interested. So another piece of WW2 & Sir Billy Butlin will be scrapped.
    Lets Keep The Memories ALIVE

Anonymous Guest

Default Filey anything left

Hello. i am a new guest to this group. I was a regular visitor to Filey with my family in the late 1970s, and miss the place soooooooooooooo much. If Billy Butlin had still been alive, do you think they would have closed the place, and if they did, would he have allowed the decay to set in.

tarra 4 now