Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maddieson's Camps

Jintygirl Guest

Default Maddieson's Camps

Has anyone any further information on Maddieson's camps? Apart from what's on the main site? Who was Maddieson? When were they sold off? etc. etc. Go on - someone must know!!!

glen Guest

Earlier in the summer I did manage to track down Peter Maddieson, it was his grandfather who started the company and Peter himself took over during the later years. He offered to write a little history of Maddiseons for the Butlins Memories site so I look forward to seeing it when it arrives as I really don't know much about them. They were certainly around before Billy Butlin appeared on the scene, I think their first camp opened in the 1920s?? I think they sold out in the 1980s. Some of their camps are still open under new owners but some have been demolished.

Glen

Jintygirl Guest

Earlier in the summer I did manage to track down Peter Maddieson, it was his grandfather who started the company and Peter himself took over during the later years. He offered to write a little history of Maddiseons for the Butlins Memories site so I look forward to seeing it when it arrives as I really don't know much about them. They were certainly around before Billy Butlin appeared on the scene, I think their first camp opened in the 1920s?? I think they sold out in the 1980s. Some of their camps are still open under new owners but some have been demolished.

Glen
    Wow, Glen, that's amazing! I couldn't find anything on the web about them (apart from what we've got here) except that one of the stations on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway (which I frequented as a child) used to be called Maddieson's Camp. That camp is still there (although the name of the station has changed). I had already decided to visit and see what's left of the Maddieson's camps that were there in the mid-60s (being all I've got to go on!) and try to trace a real Maddieson! I'm so pleased you've already done it (at least the latter, you're a bit far away for the former!)

Very much look forward to Mr. Maddieson's stuff for this site.

Vikki/Jintygirl

Anonymous Guest

Yeah the old Maddiesons camp next to the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway was called Littlestone (but most people just knew it as Maddiesons). The camp is still open today but it's now called Romney Sands and is mostly caravans - the name of the train station has also been changed to Romney Sands. Maddiesons also had another camp next to St Marys Bay station on this railway (a bit further north, near Dymchurch) and this was called Golden Sands - this has now been demolished. I was down there earlier this year but didn't have much chance to investigate (my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for old holiday camps!!) so we just went for a ride on the train and I managed to take a few pics as we steamed past! I do have an old 1960s brochure for Littlestone (and some postcards and adverts also showing Golden Sands) so I'll get them scanned sometime and put online.

Maddiesons also had camps at Hemsby, St Margarets (nr Dover), Camber Sands and at least one or two others. Don't know much else. I might have to contact Mr Maddieson again, I think he might have forgotten!

Glen

glen Guest

I didn't mean to post the above reply as 'Guest' , I did log in but it must have unlogged me again! Glen

phil kane Guest

Default Maddiesons Camp

I've just come across your request for info on Maddiesons. We stayed there first in Aug 1946 for 2 weeks and enjoyed it so much we came back for two weeks at about the same time for the next 9 years, until 1955. In 1957 we left for the US but on a visit in Aug 1965 we returned for another week. We enjoyed our stay just as much but the crowd we partyed with were no longer there. I have quite a few pictures taken over the years (mostly of ourselves and others on the beach) and would gladly send you copies if thay are of interest.
    I should add that I'm talking about the camp in Hemsby -- my sister stayed at the Dymchurch one several times but she passed away some years ago so I have no real knowledge of that.
    I've seen very little over the last two years about the Hemsby camp which we always understood to be the original -- owned by Maddieson himself. We all called him Maddie. I've seen several references to family members associated with the Littlestone camp which we Hemsbeyites believed to be an addition managrd by Maddie's son. Is this right?
    The last time I saw the Hemsby camp was in 1989, apparently owned by Pontins. The chalets had been replaced by a multistory, rather unattractive brick dormitory. I'd love to hear from anybody who stayed there during those early years.
    When did the Littlestone camp actually open?

ScottDay Guest

Hi all, new here so hello.

Regarding Maddiesons, Peter is my grandfather....I live with him so i may be of some use?

Cheers,
    Scott

Maddiesons Guest

Hi all, i have had to change me name, I waas the above post but you will have better luck reaching this one,

Cheers,
    Scott

Joker Guest

Hi Scot

Welcome to the forum !

I am looking forward to your memories and your Grandfather owned a Holiday camp ! WOW Bet he has a story or two.

Have Fun !!!

Joker (Moderator)

chunky Guest

Default Maddieson's Veteran

Hi all,

I've just stumbled across this forum. I was a regular at Maddieson's at Littlestone from the late 60's until the early 80's. It was more than a holiday camp to us; it was a big part of our life. Even now, I remember the layout of the camp like I was there yesterday. From 1970, we used the self-catering chalets by the bowling green, and then, when the flats were built over on the west side of the camp, we stayed there.

Originally, we would take two separate weeks, and we'd often go back for the weekend in September, when they held the finals of the "Miss Charm" competition. Then, we started taking a fortnight every June.

Between my family (I used to go with my parents and grandparents), we won virtually very competition over the years, from the bowls, snooker, and putting, to the fancy dress. My dad and I both won the darts...

I don't why, but we got more involved than most holiday makers, and usually became good friends with most of the redcoats (and Stan, the photographer). I still remember most of them now! Reading some earlier posts, I was pleased to see Scott on here, and I would love to see some of Peter's memories. It would also be nice to see what the old redcoats are doing now.

It is a great pity that there is so little information on Maddieson's available these days. The last I knew (I live in the US now), was when it got taken over by Hoseasons in the 80's. Wouldn't it be great to have a website?

Well, sorry to ramble on like this, but as I said, it holds such wonderful memories for me for so many years.

Steve