Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sammy and BM Bear back from Minehead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sammy and BM Bear back from Minehead

Well what a lovely week that has been. I have just been to Minehead for a week with 15 members of my family and a little red bear!!!!!
    I drove down with my partner Neil, my best friend Ju and my god daughter Abbie.

We got to Butlins at about 1pm last Friday after a trip to Tescos for supplies as we were self catering.
    The camp hasnt changed much since we were last there in October 05 apart from the demolition of the Beachcomber obviously.

I met on Bar Rosso with my little sister Jodie and her boyfriend Adam first and then we waited for our other sister Emma, her husband, mother in law and 2 children.
    The weather was lovely so we went and sat outside The Sun and the Moon and the kids had a kick about and took in the atmoshphere.
    We then all went to get our keys (or should I say cards!!!!) We were staying in Gold Self Catering on the third floor. The chalet was lovely and tidy, although we had no iron or dvd player. Now the issue of the dvd player was quite important as my friend will go back with her daughter about 9pm and settle her by watching a dvd.
    I had to text Mary (the house keeper to tell her whether we had any concerns so explained about the lack of iron and dvd!)
    We then realised we had no electricity till we worked out that the card that opens the door has to then be put in a slot hidden behind the door to turn all the electric on. This made us laugh as there is a huge Health and Safety sign opposite stating that if you leave the chalet then you should always leave a light on to prevent intruders...................how could you leave a light on when you had to take the card with you to get back in the bleeding door?? (Suggestions on a post card please???????) We only had two cards and I held one and Ju held the other as we both would leave venues at differnt times so we couldnt even leave the spare in the slot!

By this time an automated message from "Mary" had been recieved on my phone to say that my complaint would be dealt with shortly.

We then unpacked and got ready to go to Centre Stage. After about 10minutes the phone text again to say "mary would like to know was your problem dealt with adequatley" so I had to text back again to say that we hadnt seen or heard from anyone!

We then left the chalet and went to Bar Rosso for a few beers whilst the queue for Centre Stage died down.
    This was one thing that amazed me all week-why do people queue for so long to get in this venue when they can wait till 7pm and walk straight in the door opposite Bobs Land and avoid the queues completely, This is what we did for the rest of the week and got loads of seats and 2 tables right at the front.
    When we were sat on Bar Rosso my step grandma and her toyboy turned up-she was not a happy person. Having never experienced a Butlins camp in all of her 80yrs she sat and ripped the place to pieces.
    I of course tried to reason with her and explain how good it was and that if she gave it a chance she would change her mind but she said it was too loud for her and left to go to the Highwayman! (She actually left on Monday, rather than Friday and said she would never set foot in any of the camps again-bloody snob!!!!!!)

We then went into Centre Stage and had a great night, my mum, step dad and aunty turned up about 11pm (they had to work before they could come down). Now my aunty lives in Florida and hasnt been to a Butlins camp for 40yrs and after she got over the shock of no Monorails and Chair lifts she soon settled down and loved the Remember When Show!
    My aunt was amazed by the show and said that the music was something she hadnt heard since she left for America many years back-she was transfixed by all the costumes from the 60's and 70's and really wanted to put her kinky boots on and get up on stage!
    It was a shame that Mad Martin was in Reds now but Red coat Adam was a good compere and we got thrown out about 12.30.

We got a kebab from Finnigans (bloody lovely) and headed back to the chalet to a DVD player but no bleeding iron!
    A good first day had by 14 of us, a bad day for 2 of the party!!!

On the Saturday we woke up early and had a good breakfast in the chalet and proceeded to meet everyone on Bar Rosso, I had of course by this time text Mary again about the lack of the iron and the fact that the dvd player didnt work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was of course cup final day so we made the most of our morning and spent it at Bobs Land with the kids, on the Skyline and at the fair before oing to the sun and the moon to catch the game.
    All of the lad dressed up with curly scouser wigs and we were very loud. Everyone was very drunk and ecstatic by the end of the game and so we went outside the Sun and Moon to have our own FA Cup final.

Here are a couple of pics of the chalet and Adam with his scouser wig on (sorry to any Liverpudlian members!)
    More stories and pic to follow.............................
    Never drink with some of the members on this forum unless u want to end up on a toy motorbike at 2am!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default and some more..........

So what can I say about the rest of the week-well BM Bear enjoyed the FA cup final (shame we couldnt get him a scouser wig!!!!!!!!!) but he really is addicted to arcade machines and would take himself off for a slot at every opportunity he got!

He wasnt so impressed on the Wednesday as we went to Tropiquarium which is about 6miles away-I tried to see if he would make friends with an iguana but he wasnt having any of it and got straight back in my hand bag!

The shows at Centre Stage had changed since we were there last October, One Big Night was really good-tribue to Take That really made my holiday!
    They also had the presenters from ch5's Milkshake and the shows characters-Noddy, Roobarb and Custard ect............the kids loved it!
    Wednesday they had a live band in there, name evades me but they didnt seem to be able to get the crowd going which was a shame and this was the only night that was a bit of a let down in there.
    We only went to the Irish Bar one night for karaoke-my version of I will survive was so bad they didnt ask me to do an encore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We never went to Reds seen as so many of our party smoked (tut tut!)

One thing I have to mention is the amount of red coats we saw. I was really pleased as they seemed to be everywhere and were so friendly. On arrival we were given a badge that we had to give to the friendliest member of staff, this could be anyone from a red to a chalet maid.
    We gave ours to Redcoat Sean who was so pleased as it was his first badge of the week.
    This was definiely the best year for the amount of reds around in a long time.
    Never drink with some of the members on this forum unless u want to end up on a toy motorbike at 2am!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Beachcomber Demolition

Not a lot of work seemed to be going on whilst we were there, I did manage to take a couple of pics and not a lot has been done since the last photos were posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Welcome back Sam! Glad to hear that you've had a good week.
    Please note that any views or opinions expressed above are my own personal ones and not necessarily those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure or Butlins-Memories.com

See you all at Butlins soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad you had a great time, we went to minehead last sunday for the afternoon and the weather was great we went on the beach for a couple of hours,we cant wait for our holiday now 5 wks togo.
    may halfterm we cant wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default and some more............

The fairground rides were all open every day-this is something that I have never seen happen, Even the Sky Blaster was functioning all day every day!

The Swimming Pool was as usual great fun-only one day that the lazy river wasnt working but all flumes were open all sessions.

The road train-now this was open, it has been moved to opposite the Sun and the Moon as they were building a new patio area outside the Swinging Shillelagh. We caught it into Minehead one day but it never turned up to pick anyone back up-we found out the next day why!!!!!
    We all went to sit on the train and paid our monies, all of a sudden it started to spit with rain (just a tiny few drops) well we were all asked to vacate the train as due to Health and Safety they were not allowed to drive the train in the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The indoor climbing course was ?5.00 per go but you got three different attempts to try different courses. I was extremley proud of my 50yr old step dad who scaled it no problem, my little sister froze half way up and they had to rescue her!
    The outdoor course was always open, although the prices they charge I only ever saw one person go up there.

Bingo was a waste of money, this was held in Jaks and I only went as I said I would take my sisters mother in law.
    It cost us ?13.00 each for 8 games and the prize money was a staggering ?3.10 per game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Security at Butlins

One thing I did notice was how lax security was this holiday.
    Firstly on the Wednesday we left the camp for the day, we were never given any cards when we left and worried slightly about how we were going to get back in.
    We shouldnt have worried as we drove back in and no one batted an eyelid. The same thing happened to my sister in the East Car Park.
    Anyone could have just driven in, parked up and had a free day at Butlins.

Secondly, my family all went half board. On the Thursday my mum told us to meet her at the dining halls. We just walked straight though the NewsBreak shop and into the dining hall. I will now admit that I had a round of toast, cup of coffee and Abbie helped herslelf to a coke and lolly. We could have quite easily had a full course breakfast as no one asked us to show a pass!
    My family said that they had not shown there passess since the First Day.
    We got back in there the same way during the evening meal and again could have quite easily got a full three course evening meal.

If its that easy it makes me wonder how many more people are cheeky enough to actually do this?

Not one venue at any time asked to see any proof that we were paying guests. We were not given wristbands, cards or keys!!!

The only time we got given a card was when we walked though the new pedestrian entrance-no one was there when we returned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fancy a free holiday-go to Butlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

hiya sammy & my little red bud
    glad you had a good holiday, did bm behave himself,or was he chasing the girls again???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

or any boys, i thought bear had gone the other way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sammy, ever since going to Minehead we have never shown passes at the dinning hall very often. In fact, my mum and dad usually visit us for the day and they always come in for evening meal!