Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minehead Get Together 2006

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Default Minehead Get Together 2006

Here's the story of the Minehead weekend as told by Kath & Kev....

For me it all started about 2.00 on the Thursday afternoon when I set off from Norfolk to stay with Kath in Nottingham. I posted on the forum as I left and Wize took the opportunity to try and wind up Kath unsuccesfully with a text to say that I'd broken down! I obviously hadn't and arrived at her house a little after 5.00 for a lovely evening with her & her family.

The next morning we were up early and on the road about 8.00am. We took the opportunity to stir Wize up with another text saying we actually were broke down, he didn't buy it and we arrived safely in Minehead about 11.30 and met briefly with Jerry (Wize), Alex (Joker) & their families before heading to Splash for a swim where Kath went on the Master Blaster!

Next was time to check in. After that we spent ages driving around the car park trying to figure out how to get the car to our chalet which we eventually managed. By the time we'd unpacked it was already 4.00 so we had to text Wize with an apology to say we couldn't meet him in Bar Rosso as originally planned, messing up his plan B for setting us up (but don't worry, he had a plan C)!

After a quick shower, we made our way to Ocean Drive with BM Bear. Sitting down we spotted Jerry, Alex and their families sitting not far from us and fully expected them to spot us and either shout or come over but they stayed quiet (very unusual for Jerry but we soon found out why they didi!).

Next thing we had 2 redcoats walk in our direction carrying a birthday cake with the number 2 on it. We'd forgot about it being the bear's birthday and expected them to turn and face one of the children near to us but with a "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!" they were facing Kath and getting her to stand up while the entire restaurant sung happy birthday to bm bear! (see other thread)

Aswell as Alex & Jerry it was also good to meet Andy (Skegred) and his family in the restaurant.

After a brief rest and a bottle of WKD each in our chalet it was off to Bar Rosso for the main forum get together with Alex, Jerry, Andy & Mandy (nattyjane) with their families. We were given our t-shirts and "business" cards as expected aswell as 2 DVD's, a custom made mousemat, souvenir keyring and box of matches which were completely unexpected and very much appreciated (even if I then forgot to take my bag of goodies when we left the bar and had ti send Kath back!).

Please note that any views or opinions expressed above are my own personal ones and not necessarily those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure or Butlins-Memories.com

See you all at Butlins soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

At about 8.00 we made our way to Reds to see a Girls Aloud tribute act. After about 15 minutes at the bar, we settled with our drinks, leaning against a rail to watch the show.

Several drinks later I went to the toilet, leaving Kath taking a photo of bm bear with the empty bottles. Redcoat Emma saw Kath on her own and went over to say hi and makesure she wasn't lonely. So Kath explained about bm bear and Emma gave him a birthday kiss.

The bear was having a great birthday and was dancing to all the party dances after this!

Shortly after this we spotted that Andy & his daughter Carol had sat down right infront of where we were standing so joined them for a while. When Kath was in the toilet Carol asked me firstly if we were married and then when I was going to propose! Kath then freaked her out even further by saying that we'd only met the day before but were happily sharing a chalet (separate rooms people - no gossip!!! ).

Next up on stage was a ventriloquist who was good to start with but seemed to drag on for far too long!
    Please note that any views or opinions expressed above are my own personal ones and not necessarily those of Butlins, Bourne Leisure or Butlins-Memories.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

After a few more party dances for bm bear to dance to it was time for an Abba tribute act, who (despite the fact that they had 5 performers for some reason!) were very good!

Also in Reds that night we met "drunk Welsh woman" who was chatting to us and interested in learning about bm bear! We seemed to keep bumping into her and she was great fun!

Before leaving Reds, bm bear had the chance to meet the resident dj, Redcoat Kev!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

We had a fantastic night in Reds and then made it to Jaks to carry on the party!

Not surprisingly, we bumped into Alex & Jerry there too although they were being "lightweights" and left not long after we arrived!

The atmosphere in Jaks was fantastic and we had a great time there.

We left Jaks at about 2.00 and managed to get about 3 hours sleep before the next day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!!
    photos!

I love redcoat Emma shes great, she was still fairly new when i left but she was awesome!

Sounds like u [and bm bear] had a brilliant time, v jealous still!
    Spangles xxxx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well done Kev(Discokev).

A good report and with photos,

Who's that Grey haired old fool spoiling the photos??

Great weekend ,Great Company.

Andy skegred
    http://groups.msn.com/ButlinRedcoats...1/shoebox.msnw for 1960\'s Hi-De-Hi Photos
    (4pages of 41photos)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Great photos's Kev. Soooo wish I was with you all. Im glad BM Bear had a good time, ive got photos of him in the shillelagh and reds but my camera is playing up!

Reds is probably the best venue if you dont have kids, we spent virtually all week in their, although I wasnt keen on the vent either!
    Minehead 2014 - Already booked Easter April 18th - 21st and October half term Fri 24th - Fri 31st October

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone, here's the next instalment...

After Friday night I needed to take things a little bit slowly to begin with!

Next we managed to get dressed into our forum t-shirts and drag ourselves down to breakfast. Kerry was apparently sitting very close behind us but was unfortunately feeling too shy to introduce hereself.

After breakfast we had a wander into the Skyline for a quick look around and chance to sit in The Skyline Cafe & watch the party dances.

Unfortunately we had to tear ourselves away half way through Dr Jones as we'd arranged to meet the other forum members!

In the Yacht Club we met with Jerry, Alex, Andy & Mandy with their families.

Jerry & Alex had been very busy organising various activities for us which started with a "red or not?" quiz including photos of various people and we had to tick whether they were or weren't ever a redcoat. Kath was the champ at this one!

Next up was a general Butlins quiz including questions about Butlins old and new aswell as ones on Billy Butlin. I'm proud to say that I was the winner of this one and won a fantastic prize of an authentic, vintage framed Butlins advert which I'm very grateful for!

Next we were sent off in teams to do a treasure hunt! The sheets included about 15 questions although if any of us followed the clues in the correct order we would've realised that we only needed to visit about 3 places before working out that the treasure hunt finished in the Skyline Cafe! Jerry insisted on doing every single clue (even when he'd been told where the finish was!!) and took ages longer than everyone else!

Whilst in the Skyline Cafe we were joined by the illusive Arry for an interesting chat!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Ideas of a trip to the beach were ruined by rain so we chilled out in our chalet before making our way to the dining room.

In Reds again Saturday night and we decided to stop messing around with the single bottles and buy VK by the bucket load!

The entertainment consisted of 2 great bands - Sk8er Boys & Revolution, both great entertainment!

The drinks had the desired effect by the end of the night...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

After trying to play Air Hockey rather unsuccesfully (largely due to the machine being turned off!!)...

... the night once again finished off in Jaks!

Kath was fine standing in Jaks holding onto the rail but once she went to move was in big trouble!! She was trying to hold onto a wall all the way back to the chalet which got very difficult once we left the Skyline and I'm sure it must've been a comical sight seeing me with a false leg & crutch trying to help Kath walk!!!