Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosney

discokev Guest

Following a request from Push, I have locked this thread in the hope that more people will see it.

Also, it seems good timing that I have recently been sent a Mosney Staff Handbook from 1962 & memories of Mosney in the 1950's & 60's by Jane Leslie who was a Redcoat at Mosney in the early 1960's. When I reply to her e-mail I will alert her to this thread.

deelieta Guest

Default Excellent Mosney footage

Last edited by deelieta; 08-03-09 at 10:10 PM.

deelieta Guest

Pushbutton Guest

This may seem like a bit of a random question, but can anyone tell me if Mosney is an actual suburb / town, or is it just a name invented to describe the actual camp itself?

Also does anyone know the address of the camp?

deelieta Guest

I am under the impression that it was the name of the 'area' before Butlin's got it. There is a church there, and that house which is mentioned in the latest additions to the site.
    I am sure that if it is addressed to Mosney Camp, Mosney, Ireland, it would get there. We just need to add in the county.

discokev Guest

Mosney is in Co. Meath as can be seen here

skegred Guest

Deelieta,l enjoyed watching the You Tube "Excellent Mosney Footage", it certainly was Mosney Magic as the opening says,as lt showed three of my Skegness Butlin photos and ,l'm on two of them and the other one is the Skegness Revue Dancers/Redcoats of 1963

No complaints in fact the oppositte l was Proud to be associated with Butlins Mosney,(in fact anything Butlins) it looks (was) an excellent Camp.

l enjoyed it ,Thankyou Dee,

Looks like Mosney is in the "County of Meath" to complete the Camps address

skegred Andy

deelieta Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by skegred View Post
    Deelieta,l enjoyed watching the You Tube "Excellent Mosney Footage", it certainly was Mosney Magic as the opening says,as lt showed three of my Skegness Butlin photos and ,l'm on two of them and the other one is the Skegness Revue Dancers/Redcoats of 1963
    skegred Andy
    Hi Skegred Andy,
    Funny, I found that video here:
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4412225403
    while I was searching out information on Mosney. But look closely at that link... Scroll down and read the stuff on the left (history of Mosney). It is word for word from our very own Mosney page:
    http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney/index.htm
    So, who set up that page? Someone from here?
    Intrigued,
    Dee.
    PS. Glad you liked the video. Yes, Mosney I'm sure was an amazing camp, and hopefully will be again one day if Pushbutton and I have got anything to do with it!

deelieta Guest

Default ANother pic of Mosney - playground.

Taken from 'Our True Intent is all For Your Delight' John Hinde Photographic.
    Mosney, The children's playground, by Elmar Ludwig.

Janeybird Guest

The relevant addresses for enquiring about heritage sites are as follows:
    The Heritage Council,
    Áras na hOidreachta,
    Church Lane,
    Kilkenny,
    Ireland
    Tel: 00 353 56 7770777

Loreta Guinan,
    Heritage Officer,
    Meath County Council,
    County Hall,
    Navan,
    Co. Meath,
    Ireland.
    e-mail lguinan@meathcoco.ie
    Tel: 00353 46 9097405

The address of the camp is just Mosney, Co. Meath, Ireland.

The camp is still owned by Phelim McCluskey who bought it from Butlins in 1980 and ran it for twenty years as Mosney Holiday Centre. There was a story told, I can't vouch for its truth, that when Billy Butlin built the camp in 1948 including the large Catholic church, he bought some religious pictures to put on the walls of the church. Phelim McCluskey sold the pictures when he took over Mosney and was supposed to have got enough money for them to pay for the purchase of the camp.

Good luck to anyone who wants to take on the job of getting Mosney preserved. I will be glad to give my support.